Old 11-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Orchid ID - Help required

Hi All,

I received an orchid for my birthday the other month - with the most
useless set of care instructions ever! (and it came from M&S!). I've since
seen another for sale - but I was not able to stop and make any enquires
at the time I saw it, but despite a long image search on google the other
night, I've failed to put a proper name to this plant, and hence can not
determine its care requirements.

The orchid is commonly sold at florists from what I can find out. It has
thick green oval leaves, say in the 4 - 6 inch long range which would
proably shiny in a dull way if I dusted it! It has a long narrow stem to
the flowers, which are pure white with 5 petals, yellow markings on the
centre bottom petal. This orchid also has ariel roots which try to eacape
the pot.

TIA for any suggestions.

Sarah
Old 11-11-2002, 10:48 PM

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:41:59 +0000, "Sarah Dale"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a Phalaenopsis to me.

Geoff
Old 12-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Andrew wrote:
wrote:

Sounds like a Phalaenopsis to me.

Try the following culture sheets:
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/cultur...nner/phals.pdf
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/culture/phal2.pdf

Ours has done very well, largely by accident. It has been on a
warm but not hot, south facing but blocked by buildings, window
ledge and has been watered erratically with rain water and even
more erratically fertilised using dilute Miracle Grow (in the
summer only, and only a few times then).

My understanding is that quite of lot of ephiphytic orchids are
very tough (against neglect) but absolutely cannot take cold, wet
conditions. But I am no expert.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 12-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Larry Stoter

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , Andrew wrote:
wrote:

Sounds like a Phalaenopsis to me.

Try the following culture sheets:
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/cultur...nner/phals.pdf
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/culture/phal2.pdf

Ours has done very well, largely by accident. It has been on a
warm but not hot, south facing but blocked by buildings, window
ledge and has been watered erratically with rain water and even
more erratically fertilised using dilute Miracle Grow (in the
summer only, and only a few times then).

My understanding is that quite of lot of ephiphytic orchids are
very tough (against neglect) but absolutely cannot take cold, wet
conditions. But I am no expert.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Phalaenopsis hate having wet (or even damp) roots. After several
attempts, I've finally successfully(?) re-potted one by half filling its
pot with stones and then very course/loose orchid mixture on top. At
least it seems happy as it is growing new roots very enthusiastically in
all directions (except, being an epiphyte, down).

Also, take care when watering not to let water droplets settle at the
base of the leaves.

A second flowering can be stimulated when the first set finish by
cutting the stem just above the 2nd node down from the lowest flower.

As an aside, if you are ever in E. Sussex, it is well worth visitng
McBeans, at Cooksbridge, north of Lewis. One of the champion tropical
orchid growers in the UK. And if you have an orchid which needs
repotting, take it along when they are not busy and they'll do it while
you wait.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 12-11-2002, 09:38 PM
ned

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Andrew

Sounds like a Phalaenopsis to me.

Try the following culture sheets:
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/cultur...nner/phals.pdf
http://www.theaos.org/orchids/culture/phal2.pdf

Ours has done very well, largely by accident. It has been on a
warm but not hot, south facing but blocked by buildings, window
ledge and has been watered erratically with rain water and even
more erratically fertilised using dilute Miracle Grow (in the
summer only, and only a few times then).

My understanding is that quite of lot of ephiphytic orchids are
very tough (against neglect) but absolutely cannot take cold, wet
conditions. But I am no expert.

My wife inherited an un-named orchid which, had it not been a
relative's, would have been on the compost heap years ago. It was
tolerated, but like Nick's, largely neglected. It produced lots of
leaves but never a flower ......... until last month. It then produced
three marvellous flower spikes with 11 blooms on each. Right now they
are all in full bloom and are glorious to behold. It is a marvellous
mauve and crimson cymbidium. It seems that they thrive in being
potbound.

--
ned

Help required - fish dying John Ponds (alternative) 3 04-09-2005 08:13 PM
Urgent help required - fish dying John Ponds 0 12-08-2003 02:41 AM
help required - green water lvb Ponds 1 21-06-2003 01:08 PM
Lawnmower help required. Oekul United Kingdom 1 27-10-2002 11:49 AM
help required for honda motor mower Laurie United Kingdom 1 22-10-2002 11:10 AM