Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Bob H

Default Honeysuckle question(s)

About 3 years ago we planted 2 honeysuckle plants/climbers into 2
planters with a trellis at the back. The first year of growth produced
an abundance of shoots and leaves with some flowers. The second year it
did not do very well at all. Not many shoots/leaves, and no flowers. So
last backend I cut both plants right back and hoped they would do better
this year, but they did not. Again like last year, no flowers and not
many shoots/leaves. Today I was about to start cutting them back again,
when I noticed some small blue berries on them, so I stopped cutting and
left them for the birds to eat.

Now then, should I have cut both plants back in the late autumn, and why
did they not do well last year. Also as this is the first time I have
seen berries on them, is this a normall thing. ie first year did well
second year no flowers, third year no flowers, but berries.
How can I get them to do well again next year? I have given them some
plant food last year, and also placed some rotted garden waste around
the base of the plants.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Brian

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

You have found berries~~ these could only have been formed after
flowering. You must have missed it!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Bob H

Brian wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

I am not bothered about the berries or so much I haver missed the
flowers?? Well one or two maybe, but my main question is, if I did not
make it understanderble, is how do I get a good growth next year?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 11-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Bob H" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

You would perhaps be better to leave any pruning until the spring when the
shoots from the existing stems will hopefully be evident.
You can then judge which is dead wood and prune that out only.
Apart from pruning out deadwood, the plant is better left unpruned I
believe, until it has filled it's allotted space - then only a gentle tip
prune is required to keep it in check.

Regards,
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 PM
nambucca

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"Bob H" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

I have had a plethora of berries on my honeysuckles this year but flowering
was pathetic
I find that Honeysuckles bush out best when cut down to about 1ft high every
few years otherwise they get all woody and leggy and flower only at the top

Old 12-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob H" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

The problem you are having is due to the fact Honeysuckles have big root
systems and do not do well long term in containers as they quickly fill with
roots, and although feeding and mulching can help its not the same. Pruning
is a good idea what ever!
Also the sort of honeysuckle can make a difference and the one you have is
probably Lonicera japonica and is prone to sulking and leaf problems when
not happy.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Bob H

Peter Stockdale wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

After the 1st year when it did well, I did not prune or do anything with
it, and the 2nd year it din't do very well at all; so that is why I
pruned it after that 2nd year, in the hopes it would do better this last
year, but it did not.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 12-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Chris J Dixon

Bob H wrote:

About 3 years ago we planted 2 honeysuckle plants/climbers into 2
planters with a trellis at the back. The first year of growth produced
an abundance of shoots and leaves with some flowers. The second year it
did not do very well at all. Not many shoots/leaves, and no flowers. So
last backend I cut both plants right back and hoped they would do better
this year, but they did not. Again like last year, no flowers and not
many shoots/leaves. Today I was about to start cutting them back again,
when I noticed some small blue berries on them, so I stopped cutting and
left them for the birds to eat.

I have an elderly honeysuckle which I cut hard back a couple of
years ago. Last year it re grew as expected, but this year made
little extra growth, and the flowers were sparse. Maybe next
season is time to replace it with a couple of clematis.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Bob H

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

OK, well its been there for 3 years now, and I expect the container is
pretty full of roots then. Its about 1mtr long by 30/35cms square, with
a ivy/vine in as well.
So how do I find out wich type of honeysuckle it is then?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 13-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob H" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

Black berries, scented flowers in summer, leaves tending to stay on its a
fair bet its Lonicera japonica.

If the flowers are not scented its probably Lonicera henryi.
The third possibility is one of my favourites Lonicera simils delavyi but
that is a bit tender and very much like a large version of Lonicera
japonica.
The native honeysuckles (lonicera periclymenum) have red berries, the
Etruscan honeysuckles are orange as are many of the scented hybrids.
Personally I would change to clematis and repot every other year, or get a
much bigger container.

Old 13-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Bob H

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

[...]

It had small white flowers and now has black/dark blue berries.

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour, as their garden is lower than ours and is on a
much less than 180 degree angle to us, as our house is on a corner.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 14-12-2004, 11:38 AM
John

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour...

Honeysuckle is lovely, but if you want a rampant, unstoppable climber /
weaver/ rambler, get Russian Vine. Very vigorous indeed, nice dense
greenery, nice flowers late summer(?). Your neighbour would need to
keep their side well trimmed too (or you could do it for them), or
they'd find it taking over their house after a couple of years.

john
Old 14-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Sacha

On 14/12/04 11:38, in article
, "John"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

The idea of getting honesuckle was because as it is a climber and a
rapidish one at that, was to provide some sort of partitioning? between
us and our neighbour...

Honeysuckle is lovely, but if you want a rampant, unstoppable climber /
weaver/ rambler, get Russian Vine. Very vigorous indeed, nice dense
greenery, nice flowers late summer(?). Your neighbour would need to
keep their side well trimmed too (or you could do it for them), or
they'd find it taking over their house after a couple of years.

So rampant that it should come with a health warning. It's very tempting to
people who want a rapid result but oh, the horrors of the reality, later
and if in the wrong place.
Someone just down the lane from us had planted 3 of these things on one
shortish fence - and no, they did NOT come to us for them! I can't begin
to describe what it was like until they yanked two of them out. The sole
survivor is threatening to eat their house and that of their neighbours,
too.
I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone just to cover a fence and
especially not someone who has neighbours! My neighbours in a previous
house planted one and it 'ate' my Albertine rose and Clematis montana
every year without fail, ruining their flowers. Vile thing!
Although it isn't a climber, I have found some types of Ceanothus to grow
quickly and do a great job of concealing things. IIRC, the one I had that
did this was 'Italian Skies'. And a very good and IME, quick climber in a
sunny place, is Solanum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 14/12/04 11:38, in article
, "John"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

[...]

I agree with Sacha for screening a hedge is better than a climber and there
are many more interesting evergreens for the job. Re Russian Vine I have
stopped selling it it just grew too fast and was a complete pain and that
was in a container! however my one in the hedge looks fine and so does one
in the village growing with a hardy Fuchsia but both are hacked back each
year to keep control.

Old 14-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Bob H

Sacha wrote:
On 14/12/04 11:38, in article
, "John"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob H wrote:

[...]

We do have a Russian Vine and I know it does grow *very* well. We have
it on a trellis on the edge of our patio; that should be it grows along
a trellis from about 3ft below. The idea is that it provides a noticble
edge of an otherwise open edged patio, which has a drop of over 2ft.
This year we have noticed that it has done particularly well after
cutting back last backend. It has not flowered in the 3 years we have
had it, but the leaves are a very nice autumny/dark red colour.

Thanks for the advice, no I would not place it between myself and my
neighbours, and will look for what you have advised.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK