GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Non-Flowering Viburnum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/87644-non-flowering-viburnum.html)

John 13-12-2004 10:00 AM

Non-Flowering Viburnum

I have a row of Viburnum Tinus which, whilst always looking
extremely healthy, bud heavily with beautiful pink buds,
never flower.The plants aer four years old.

Help please.

John

Green door 13-12-2004 10:32 AM

John

In case you did not know V. tinus flowers in the winter. So you would
expect the flowers to be open from now till February. If you already
knew this, then my appologies for stating the obvious.

Second point is that the flowers of V. tinus are quite small
individually, but come in clusters of around 20. Heres a picture of V.
tinus 'Eve' --
http://www.mygarden.me.uk/Viburnum%2...ve%20Price.jpg

How much culutivation and feeding do you give them? Something to be
aware of is that some plants need to feel a bit stressed in order to
flower and fruit. So if you are pampering them with feeds and dressing
the soil regularly then they may feel very happy thankyou and decide
that they so not need to reproduce at this time.

I have always found them to be troublefree shrubs myself. I may
occaisionally shape them in spring if they are gettting a bit unruly,
but apart from that they've rarely had any attention.