Old 13-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Lobo Carrasco

Default do I need a greenhouse?

Hi all

Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
of UK.
If so I am doubting between using transparent plastic bags, one for
each plant, or building a more decent greenhouse with poles, plastic
panels, etc...

Thanks a lot for your help
Antonio
Old 13-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Tumbleweed

"Lobo Carrasco" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
of UK.
If so I am doubting between using transparent plastic bags, one for
each plant, or building a more decent greenhouse with poles, plastic
panels, etc...

Thanks a lot for your help
Antonio

Begonia and geraniums wont make it through if there is frost which I suppose
is a certainty at some time. The others will be OK as long as the roots dont
freeze (these are all in pots, correct?).

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 13-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Nick Gray

Begonia and geraniums wont make it through if there is frost which I

suppose
is a certainty at some time. The others will be OK as long as the roots

dont
freeze (these are all in pots, correct?).

--
Tumbleweed

You could always bring the begonias and geraniums indoors, they make quite
nice houseplants.

Nick

Old 13-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Judith Lea

In article ,
Lobo Carrasco writes

Hello Antonio, I live in the East of England at Norwich - 40 minutes
flying time from Amsterdam.

Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
of UK.

You really do not need to protect roses, thyme, lavender or rosemary,
they are hardy.

Begonias and geraniums need to be lifted and stored in a frost free place
until next Spring.

--
Judith Lea
Old 13-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Judith Lea writes:
| In article ,
| Lobo Carrasco writes
|
| Hello Antonio, I live in the East of England at Norwich - 40 minutes
| flying time from Amsterdam.

Cambridge isn't much further :-)

| Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
| greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
| lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
| through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
| is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
| of UK.
|
| You really do not need to protect roses, thyme, lavender or rosemary,
| they are hardy.

The last three are prone to dying off in the spring from waterlogging
during the winter, but the only useful 'protection' is to give them
better drainage next time - and it isn't worth worrying about that
unless it happens. They can take any reasonable amount of frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 13-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Drakanthus

"Lobo Carrasco" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

Winter is coming and I was thinking of building some kind of plastic
greenhouse in my small parterre. I have rosemary, thym, roses,
lavender, begonias and geraniums. I don't know if they will make it
through the winter without protection of not, what do you think? This
is the Netherlands, so the climate should be close to the east coast
of UK.
If so I am doubting between using transparent plastic bags, one for
each plant, or building a more decent greenhouse with poles, plastic
panels, etc...

Thanks a lot for your help
Antonio

Transparent plastic bags would likely cause fungus to form on the plants -
particularly the begonias and geraniums and kill them. Free flowing air
around these plants is essential.

Drakanthus.

Old 13-11-2002, 06:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Drakanthus" writes:

| Transparent plastic bags would likely cause fungus to form on the plants -
| particularly the begonias and geraniums and kill them. Free flowing air
| around these plants is essential.

And for the thyme, rosemary and lavender! They don't like those
conditions any more than the begonias and geraniums do.

Old 14-11-2002, 09:22 AM
Carol Russell

[...]

If when you say geraniums you mean geraniums they are hardy, pelargoniums
(which some people call geraniums) are not. I am supprised that in the
thread to date nobody has

Old 14-11-2002, 04:21 PM
oxymel of squill

I thought everyone needed a greenhouse. I just built a beauty, 12ft by 6ft
and 9ft tall (it's a lean to against a s facing wall) Radio in there,
kettle, phone. I'm thinking of living on a sunbed and letting the house

Jon