Old 13-11-2002, 05:23 PM
MissionMan

Default Boggy Grass

Greetings..

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Mission Man
Email:
** Remove UnderScore before replying **
Old 13-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Bevan Price

"MissionMan" wrote in message
Greetings..

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a
house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when
it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed
that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Mission Man

Move house ? If you are in an area that regularly floods, there may be
nothing that works successfully unless you have loads of money. Otherwise,
try improving drainage by simpler methods - is the soil clay or sandy ?
Quite probably clay, which can be improved by adding organic material but it
can take a long time for clay soil to become more porous.

Is the lawn full of moss and dead grass? Removing both and spiking the lawn
with a fork can improve drainage, but you may have to repeat this regularly,
several times a year.

Bevan

Old 13-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Tumbleweed

"MissionMan" wrote in message
Greetings..

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a
house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when
it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed
that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Thanks in advance.

Stop it raining?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 13-11-2002, 09:19 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

"MissionMan" wrote in message
Greetings..

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a
house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when
it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed
that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

We're in the same situation as we've only just moved into a house with
a garden this year so much of this is new to me. Friends had a
similar problem to you, they created drainage by digging a hole and a
trench, and installing a drain under the soil, connected to drainpipe
running at an incline (again under the soil) and emptying out into a
stream at the end of their garden. It seemed to work well for them.

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 13-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"MissionMan" wrote in message
I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a

house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when
it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed
that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Others will tell you how to drain etc, but there is another way, how about a
Bog Garden. Use your apparent problem as an advantage.
Lots of interesting plants like boggy ground.
--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site

Old 14-11-2002, 08:39 AM
Carol Russell

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a

house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter

when
it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed
that gets really boggy and water logged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

Others will tell you how to drain etc, but there is another way, how about

Bog Garden. Use your apparent problem as an advantage.
Lots of interesting plants like boggy ground.
--
Bob

I was going to say the same. If the situation is not otherwise unfavourable,
work with nature not against it, this is an opportunity to grow plants
different to the rest of the garden.

--
Art
Swap seeds at

Old 14-11-2002, 12:10 PM
MissionMan

Thank you for all your help. Some people have told me to dig up the soil, remove any clay and then mix sand into the soil to help soak up the water.

I appreciate all your help and come spring I shall do something.

Cheers

Mission Man

Old 14-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Victoria Clare

"Carol Russell" wrote in
:

Others will tell you how to drain etc, but there is another way, how
about

Bog Garden. Use your apparent problem as an advantage.
Lots of interesting plants like boggy ground.
--
Bob

I was going to say the same. If the situation is not otherwise
unfavourable, work with nature not against it, this is an opportunity
to grow plants different to the rest of the garden.

Problem is that an area that's boggy in the winter may well be bone dry,
cracked and hard, in the summer. My last garden was all like that :-(
(Mind you, it grew fantastic rhubarb: I think rhubarb must like a winter
soak.)

As Missionman is new to gardening and has just moved in, I suggest he keeps
an eye on how things change next season before getting in the bog plants.

A good page if he does opt to drain the area is he
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

Old 14-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Victoria wrote in message
I was going to say the same. If the situation is not otherwise
unfavourable, work with nature not against it, this is an opportunity
to grow plants different to the rest of the garden.

Problem is that an area that's boggy in the winter may well be bone dry,
cracked and hard, in the summer. My last garden was all like that :-(
(Mind you, it grew fantastic rhubarb: I think rhubarb must like a winter
soak.)

As Missionman is new to gardening and has just moved in, I suggest he

keeps
an eye on how things change next season before getting in the bog plants.

Good point. It would need to be wet all year round and nobody knows yet what
it's like in the summer.

Old 14-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Sue & Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Victoria wrote in message
|
| As Missionman is new to gardening and has just moved in, I suggest he
| keeps
| an eye on how things change next season before getting in the bog plants.
|
| Good point. It would need to be wet all year round and nobody knows yet what
| it's like in the summer.

What's one of them?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 14-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Steve

"MissionMan" wrote in message

Thank you for all your help. Some people have told me to dig up the soil,
remove any clay and then mix sand into the soil to help soak up the water.

If you want to drain an area, you can dig a trench and fill with clean stone
chippings, or lay a land-drain pipe. Lead the trench downhill, to an area
where it doesn't matter. It's preferable to pipe into a manhole or stream.

Old 15-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Hussein M.

If you want to drain an area, you can dig a trench and fill with clean stone
chippings, or lay a land-drain pipe. Lead the trench downhill, to an area
where it doesn't matter. It's preferable to pipe into a manhole or stream.

Since it sounds as though it is a bit of reclamation I reckon the
best part of the enterprise will be watching the succession of weeds
which manage to get dominance.

"Oh look! That one's arrived. Well if that's enjoying itself, I
know another which will enjoy it just as much and it is ,,, erm ,,, a
little prettier. Sorry!..."

Hussein

Old 15-11-2002, 07:48 AM
Tumbleweed

"MissionMan" wrote in message
Thank you for all your help. Some people have told me to dig up the soil,
remove any clay and then mix sand into the soil to help soak up the water.

I appreciate all your help and come spring I shall do something.

Cheers

It is unlikely that you have a very small patch of clay that you can remove.
You'll most likely be creating a pond full of sandy soil if you have lots of
clay.

PS what is it about your posts that they dont get indented when people
reply? Are you posting in HTML? Can you switch to text.

Old 16-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Stuart Baldwin

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:23:03 +0000 (UTC), "MissionMan"
wrote:

Greetings..

I am very new to gardening and to be precise I have not long moved to a house with a garden. I have noticed that during the Autumn and Winter when it rains, and boy does it rain, there is one area of lawn and flower bed that gets really boggy and water lo

gged.

Please can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this boggy area?

There is a mention in this month's Gardening Which of a free booklet
entitled 'Flooding in Gardens' which is available from the Environment
Agency, via Floodline on 0845 988 1188. I have no idea whether it is
any good for your problem but as it's free...

Boggy Garden Vince[_2_] Gardening 1 02-03-2007 12:07 AM
Boggy Garden [email protected] United Kingdom 4 21-02-2007 02:45 PM
Boggy garden question dapex United Kingdom 7 06-02-2007 02:45 PM
Ponds in a boggy garden zippo4 United Kingdom 6 22-10-2004 02:06 PM
Boggy lawn Ian Waddell United Kingdom 1 28-08-2004 02:45 PM