Old 14-11-2002, 07:13 AM
subbykins{Chrd}

Default Gardening & Spiders

This probably will make most of you shrug your shoulders/giggle/scoff
- select as appropriate - but I have a bit of an issue.

I genuinely hate spiders, can't be doing with them they frighten the
hell out of me. So, now I've got this lovely garden I want to do
things with but I was recently poking around in a camelia bush looking
at it's base when one rather large and nasty one landed on my hand and
it's really put me off poking around again.

Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 14-11-2002, 08:34 AM
William Tasso

subbykins{Chrd} wrote:
Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

Think of all the flies and other germ-infested carriers that spiders eat.
Spiders are your friends.

Besides, what can you do about it? You might as well learn to share your
garden with them.

--
William Tasso - The road to hell is littered with fallen webmasters.
http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 14-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , subbykins{Chrd}
writes

I genuinely hate spiders, can't be doing with them they frighten the
hell out of me.

Helen does like spiders at all either.

So, now I've got this lovely garden I want to do
things with but I was recently poking around in a camelia bush looking
at it's base when one rather large and nasty

We don't have large spiders in the UK, but I know what you mean.....

one landed on my hand and
it's really put me off poking around again.

Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

I think you just need to gradually work at getting used to them - not
necessarily liking them. Helen finds the 'Chris there's a HUGE spider in
here....' technique works well when one is in the wrong place at the
wrong time.

Having a child is one possibility for helping you get used to them,
Helen doesn't like dogs, esp. large barky ones either much. But she's
not wanted to transfer here dislike of spiders and dogs to Elinor, so
has tried to avoid displaying this dislike in front of her, and this
seems to mean she has got a bit more tolerant of them. This may be a
rather drastic approach to the problem though.

OT tale:

We were in Australia about 10 years ago, went on a canoe trip down a
river in Queensland with a group of others. Had been looking at various
creatures on the way, and had been close to some fairly poisonous snake
sleeping in a tree, taking photos. Others wouldn't go near it.

Everyone thought it highly amusing when a little while later there was a
huge screech and Helen leapt from the canoe (we were by the bank) they
hurried over to find a small harmless spider had dropped from a tree
into the canoe near Helen.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 14-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
subbykins{Chrd} wrote:
This probably will make most of you shrug your shoulders/giggle/scoff
- select as appropriate - but I have a bit of an issue.

I genuinely hate spiders, can't be doing with them they frighten the
hell out of me. So, now I've got this lovely garden I want to do
things with but I was recently poking around in a camelia bush looking
at it's base when one rather large and nasty one landed on my hand and
it's really put me off poking around again.

Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

Live with it. You can reduce your phobia yourself, by exposing
yourself to the ones you can handle (e.g. money spiders) and
working up. I can now pick up any UK spider with a piece of paper
and a glass, but cannot approach tarantulas.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 14-11-2002, 11:16 AM
oxymel of squill

wrong time.

Having a child is one possibility for helping you get used to them,

very extreme measure surely??

"If you want to live and thrive
Let the spider run alive"

Old 14-11-2002, 11:19 AM
flake

"subbykins{Chrd}" wrote in message
Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

Depends how important this really is for you, but if your phobia is stopping
you from enjoying the things you want to do in life, then IMO its worth
investigating therapies. Have you tried hypnosis ? You should be able to
find reputable hypnotherapists that offer a trial session free.
HTH, Diane

Old 14-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"oxymel of squill" writes:

| wrong time.
|
| Having a child is one possibility for helping you get used to them,
|
| very extreme measure surely??

It also doesn't help if you have a genuine phobia, and not merely
a dislike.

Old 14-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , oxymel of
squill writes

wrong time.

Having a child is one possibility for helping you get used to them,

very extreme measure surely??

No, this was a totally serious suggestion.
Old 14-11-2002, 12:18 PM
MissionMan

Spiders will always be in your garden. I seem to be having a bad year for
them as there are hundreds of them and big ones that run across your lounge
floor when you are sitting down watching tv.

Anyway, you can help reduce the number by inviting animals such as birds
into your garden, they love spiders but as said in another post, spiders eat
a lot of the bugs that you also do not want in your garden.

So best bet is to try and get used to them or hire a gardener. That way you
can still enjoy your garden without the worry of the spiders.

Mission Man

Old 14-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Tumbleweed

"subbykins{Chrd}" wrote in message
This probably will make most of you shrug your shoulders/giggle/scoff
- select as appropriate - but I have a bit of an issue.

I genuinely hate spiders, can't be doing with them they frighten the
hell out of me. So, now I've got this lovely garden I want to do
things with but I was recently poking around in a camelia bush looking
at it's base when one rather large and nasty one landed on my hand and
it's really put me off poking around again.

Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

The same could happen in your house. (well, not poking around in a bush),
one could run up a sofa leg whilst you were watching the tv. Would that put
you off watching the tv?

IME and more to the point, In My House, the spiders are much bigger than the
ones in the garden! So its safer out there!

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 14-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Chris
We were in Australia about 10 years ago, went on a canoe trip down a
river in Queensland with a group of others. Had been looking at various
creatures on the way, and had been close to some fairly poisonous snake
sleeping in a tree, taking photos. Others wouldn't go near it.

Everyone thought it highly amusing when a little while later there was a
huge screech and Helen leapt from the canoe (we were by the bank) they
hurried over to find a small harmless spider had dropped from a tree
into the canoe near Helen.

Ah yes, the "Huntsman". I remember arriving at our chosen apartment in Port
Douglas on my own, Sue and Sister were arriving from another direction much
later. Just getting dark so pulled the curtains, at which point this large
spider (compared to the UK ones) fell on the floor upside-down. I thought it
dead so prodded it with my finger at which point it jumped about a foot in
the air and ran off...so did I ...to get a bowl to cover it and carry it
outside. It was only later I discovered they are totally harmless.
Those hand sized "Golden Orbes" are pretty though, with their 10ft wide
webs. Locals said if I walked into one to just walk backwards a couple of
steps and turn slowly to the side and it would peel off. I'm not sure I
would be calm enough. :-)

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site

Old 14-11-2002, 06:43 PM

I live in New jersey and I encountered a 4 foot long spider that chased
me around the yard thankfully I got to my gun and shot it, that was
almost the scarest moment in my life except the time when I got stuck in
an nine foot spider web luckily the spider was to busy wrapping up his
first victim my neighbor to notice me slip out from the web. Ed

Old 15-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Tumbleweed

"s.holland2" wrote in message
"subbykins{Chrd}" wrote in message

snip

Does anyone else have a spider or creepy crawler problem, and how do
you cope with that and enjoy your garden and gardening?

I wear rubber gloves and long sleeved jumpers when gardening and that
way the eight legged monsters never make contact with my skin...bleuch
just thinking about spiders gives me goosebumps.

What do you do in the house? Or are there no spiders there (very rare if
so)? I rarely see a spider when gardening, probably see more in my house.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM