GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lisianthus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8775-lisianthus.html)

Victoria Clare 14-11-2002 03:17 PM

lisianthus

I notice Thompson and Morgan are offering plants of this in their '2003
preview' catalogue. I've liked these as cut flowers for a while, but can
find no info on growing them in the UK - they seem to be only grown as
commercial cut flowers.

Does anyone grow these, and what sort of conditions do they like? I can
offer them pots in the sun, or a range of part-shaded sheltered beds -
would either be suitable? I'm guessing they are tender - could they be
overwintered in greenhouse, shed or on windowsill?

I have light stony slightly acidic soil (but plenty of potting compost!)

http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/eustgran.html has info on growing them
in Chicago, but I'd like a UK perspective.

Victoria Clare

Roger Van Loon 17-11-2002 09:31 PM

lisianthus

Victoria Clare wrote:

I notice Thompson and Morgan are offering plants of this in their '2003
preview' catalogue. I've liked these as cut flowers for a while, but can
find no info on growing them in the UK - they seem to be only grown as
commercial cut flowers.

Does anyone grow these, and what sort of conditions do they like?

Very difficult, never had any success with them, I would not choose
them again.
Even bought as grown plants, they immediately died on me.
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm

Victoria Clare 18-11-2002 10:02 AM

lisianthus

Roger Van Loon wrote in
:

Victoria Clare wrote:
I notice Thompson and Morgan are offering plants of this in their
'2003 preview' catalogue. I've liked these as cut flowers for a
while, but can find no info on growing them in the UK - they seem to
be only grown as commercial cut flowers.

Does anyone grow these, and what sort of conditions do they like?

Very difficult, never had any success with them, I would not choose
them again.
Even bought as grown plants, they immediately died on me.

Alas!

Since no-one else seems to have tried, I am still tempted to give them a
go, if only so that next time someone makes a posting like this, there can
be 2 of us to post our Awful Warning.

Thanks Roger - I am warned (if bloody-minded).

Victoria