Old 14-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Tony

Default Garden Kneelers

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if they're any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Thanks

Old 14-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Drakanthus

"Tony" wrote in message
I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the

Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if they're

any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Thanks

A key question to ask about such gadgets is "After the novely has worn off -
are they worth the hassle of getting them out and shuffeling them around on
the ground?". Possibly not. I just use one of those cheap Wilko's
kneelers - it is just a peice of lightweight but firm sponge - and I'm not
bothered about it getting wet or damaged. It certainly works for me when
shuffling around on my knees doing DIY or gardening.

Drakanthus.

Old 14-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Mary Fisher

"Drakanthus" wrote in message

A key question to ask about such gadgets is "After the novely has worn

off -
are they worth the hassle of getting them out and shuffeling them around

on
the ground?". Possibly not. I just use one of those cheap Wilko's
kneelers - it is just a peice of lightweight but firm sponge - and I'm not
bothered about it getting wet or damaged. It certainly works for me when
shuffling around on my knees doing DIY or gardening.

We use a thick piece of stout foam, goodness knows where it came from but
it's done the job for years, keeps knees off the floor, comfortably, and it
certainly isn't a problem about it getting messed up. And you don't have to
stand up to look inside it :-)

Mary

Drakanthus.

Old 15-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:00:43 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

We use a thick piece of stout foam, goodness knows where it came from but
it's done the job for years, keeps knees off the floor, comfortably, and it
certainly isn't a problem about it getting messed up. And you don't have to
stand up to look inside it :-)

I usually rest buttocks on haunches or heel, but thanks for the
idea.

I'll dig out that old mouse mat because the stiffness of age is
catching up with me and it would certainly keep my knees dry.

Mind you I would probably welcome, when the creaks become
unbearable, a box with less descent needed - probably only to get an
aching back from leaning back down (and forward).

H.
Old 15-11-2002, 02:22 AM

"Tony" wrote:

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

I haven't seen anyone actually use one of those things. I have both some
foam pads that fasten over my khaki farmer trousers and a rectangular foam
pad rather like a mouse pad on steroids. Both work fine.... I have several
of the rectangular things because Dear Wife bought me another at local
cheapo discount shop whenever the old one looked mangy. And she had a much
lower threshold for mange than I. But then, I have work pants that are
"garden only," because I'd likely be arrested for wearing them in public.

Old 15-11-2002, 06:03 AM
kdupar

From: "Tony"
Subject: Garden Kneelers
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:57:27 -0000

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the
Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if
they're any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Several years ago, my thoughtful husband got a kneeler for me (my knees
not being as flexible as they once were!). It was totally useless in my
case, and has been gathering dust in our garage even since. It worked
well if I was only weeding in one spot. But, every time I wanted to
move even a few inches along a flower bed, I had to haul myself up,
shift the kneeler, and kneel down again. It was less painful to kneel
without it.

My solution was to get a "grasshopper" (it's made by an American
company, hence the name) that I ordered from a mail order catalogue
five or six years ago. It's a seat (that lifts up with storage space
underneath) on four wheels. I scoot all over the garden and weed in
comfort. I only stand up to weed the back of deep borders, and then I
use a smallish fork on a long handle. It may not be an elegant solution
to the problem of weeding with creaky knees, but it works for me! And,
since you are sitting - not kneeling - you don't have to worry about
"hefty knees".

Kristina
www.black-isle.info/orchard

Old 15-11-2002, 06:54 AM
JennyC

"Tony" wrote in message
I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the

Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if

they're any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Thanks

I seem to recall someone mentioning sewing 'envelopes' to the knees of
their gardening trousers, into which they slid some thick foam pads
when they were going to do any intensive kneeling. This makes you more
mobile and you can take them out for a wash if you feel so inclined
:~)
Jenny

Old 15-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Tony
writes
I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the Stanley one
that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if they're any
good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

My husband uses one that has handles at the sides. He thinks it is
wonderful. The handles, apparently, help him no end when he has to
regain the 'vertical' position!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 15-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Ken Riley

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:57:27 -0000, "Tony"
wrote:

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

If anyone has used one of these before, could you let me know if they're any good, and are
they wide enough to accommodate hefty knees!?

Thanks

I've had one for years and find it very useful for keeping my nether
regions dry and warm on a cold wet day. Although I don't kneel on it
I can sit on it in comfort with my legs crossed so your knees should
be ok.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 15-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
"Tony" wrote:

But then, I have work pants that are
"garden only," because I'd likely be arrested for wearing them in public.

Don't we all?

Mary

Old 15-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Mary Fisher

"kdupar" wrote in message
without it.

My solution was to get a "grasshopper" (it's made by an American
company, hence the name) that I ordered from a mail order catalogue
five or six years ago. It's a seat (that lifts up with storage space
underneath) on four wheels. I scoot all over the garden and weed in
comfort. I only stand up to weed the back of deep borders, and then I
use a smallish fork on a long handle. It may not be an elegant solution
to the problem of weeding with creaky knees, but it works for me! And,
since you are sitting - not kneeling - you don't have to worry about
"hefty knees".

Sounds great - if youy garden isn't on several levels ... :-(

Mary

Kristina
www.black-isle.info/orchard

Old 15-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I fancy one of those garden kneelers for Christmas, particularly the

Stanley one that has
a bit of storage space in it.

I've had one for years and find it very useful for keeping my nether
regions dry and warm on a cold wet day. Although I don't kneel on it
I can sit on it in comfort with my legs crossed so your knees should
be ok.

I've just remembered that I keep a folding stool in the greenhouse, it lives
in there and is used when I have to weed, sow or plant in the border. It
saves a lot of bachache.

I post this because everything to date has been about the garden but the
greenhouse can be a problem too.

Mary

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Old 16-11-2002, 06:56 AM

Garden kneelers are to expensive I usually have my latest girlfriend lay
down on her stomach and I rest my knees in the small of her back. Ed....