Old 15-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Su-Lin

Default Lithops problem!

Hi!

I recently bought a lithops plant from my local nursery about a week
ago and it seems to be shrivelling up now. It started at the base of
the plant and is spreading. In the split between the two leaves I can
see some translucent bright green something. Is this new growth or is
my plant about to die? If death is approaching, could my room be too
cold? I keep it at about 20 degrees but occasionally I open the
window.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this matter!
Old 15-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Martin Brown

Su-Lin wrote:

I recently bought a lithops plant from my local nursery about a week
ago and it seems to be shrivelling up now. It started at the base of
the plant and is spreading. In the split between the two leaves I can
see some translucent bright green something. Is this new growth or is
my plant about to die? If death is approaching, could my room be too
cold? I keep it at about 20 degrees but occasionally I open the window.

New growth. Most of them will take freezing when dry. (though it isn't
recommended)

They naturally go dormant for winter and the old leaves shrivel while the
new ones grow inside. In a cool room they need no water from now until
April/May. Misting might be good idea in a CH house though.

When the old leaves are completely dried out they come off and the plant
wants water again. What you can see inside are the new leaf pair forming.
(often you get a two leaf pairs per original lithop). Try

http://www.teessidecacti.org/BCSS/CULTIVAT/lithcult.htm

Regards,
Martin Brown