GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Methylated spirits/alcohol (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/87867-methylated-spirits-alcohol.html)

JennyC 22-12-2004 12:22 PM

wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:51:18 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

You should be able to buy Methylated spirits in any DIY or hardware store
........its used for all kinds of things from removing ballpoint pen stains
to rubbing down the surface of polished furniture

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to track down some meths
here in Guelph Canada. Maybe I should move to the UK?

Thought I'd found you the answer :
http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html
They have the translation / eqvielent for meths in about every lanuage except
Canadian or American!

But perseverence threw up the following site:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.shtml
which has meths as - Denatured Alcohol or Solvent Alcohol in the US and Canada.

HTH Jenny

Franz Heymann 22-12-2004 05:31 PM

wrote:

You should be able to buy Methylated spirits in any DIY or hardware

store
........its used for all kinds of things from removing ballpoint

pen stains
to rubbing down the surface of polished furniture

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to track down some meths
here in Guelph Canada. Maybe I should move to the UK?

Most people/stores I've called have never heard of the stuff.
I've called paint stores, hardware stores, chemical stores,
pharmacies.
Hardware stores carry methyl hydrate but not methylated alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol consists of isopropyl alcohol here, 70% isopropyl

ISP.
Could isopropyl alcohol be used instead of methyl alcohol to kill
these mealybugs?

Why not try it?

Franz

[email protected] 22-12-2004 09:49 PM

On 22 Dec 2004 10:20:16 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , wrote:

Well I have since learned that methyl hydrate is methanol whereas
methylated alcohol is 95% ethanol and 5% or less of methanol.
So they aren't really the same.

Well, if you were buying from a chemical warehouse, that might be
true. But I doubt very much that what is called methyl hydrate really
is pure methanol. You could test its density and check.

Part of the reason is the toxicity (to humans) of pure methanol. It
really is very dangerous indeed.

Yes I suppose you are right. The company that sells the methyl
hydrate does not mention the chemical breakdown on the container. They
likely dilute it to provide some degree of safeguard to the consumer.
They also warn what to do if ingested.

Eric

[email protected] 22-12-2004 10:04 PM

wrote:

You should be able to buy Methylated spirits in any DIY or hardware store
........its used for all kinds of things from removing ballpoint pen stains
to rubbing down the surface of polished furniture

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to track down some meths
here in Guelph Canada. Maybe I should move to the UK?

Thought I'd found you the answer :
http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html
They have the translation / eqvielent for meths in about every lanuage except
Canadian or American!

But perseverence threw up the following site:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.shtml
which has meths as - Denatured Alcohol or Solvent Alcohol in the US and Canada.

HTH Jenny

Thanks very much Martin and Jenny!
Now I'm starting to hear more familiar words (denatured alcohol).

Eric

Bill 24-12-2004 08:41 AM

wrote:

[...]

Does Rubbing Alcohol ring a bell? Diluted 1:1 in a spray bottle. Very
effective on cactus plants...I understand. And does not hurt them. Other
plants I'm not certain...I would personally try it.
I would not have thrown out those plants that you did but then I am a
person that has faith in the ability of plants to recover...
You could just pick off the singletons that you see in the future.
How did those first plants get so badly infected? Were you out playing
golf?
I was introduced to my first Mealybug just the other day. I had seen
'them' before but didn't know what it/they were called. We just picked it
off and then I was introduced to Rubbing Alcohol (1:1) in a spray
bottle..."it does not hurt the plants" I was told.
Bill

Martin Brown 24-12-2004 09:33 AM

Bill wrote:
On 12/22/04 2:04 PM, in article ,
" wrote:
[...]

Mind your eyes if you spray that stuff - rubbing alcohol is isopropanol.
It is a powerful eye irritant and a fire risk. Some commercial
formulations using it have been withdrawn for that reason.

IPA isn't approved for Organic(TM) use AFAIK.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Franz Heymann 24-12-2004 08:04 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
On 12/22/04 2:04 PM, in article

,

wrote:

[...]

Just to help in attempts to buy it: That is the same as surgical
spirit, which I am pretty certain is isopropyl alcohol.

Franz Heymann 24-12-2004 08:04 PM

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
On 12/22/04 2:04 PM, in article

[...]