Old 16-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Removing algae from concrete path and slabs?

In particular, its a pernicious black type that grows in 'spots' that resist
all but the most determined powerwashing, in fact the concrete goes at the
same time. Power washer, bleach,and jeyes fluid are all proving no match.
Any suggestions? Are there algae cleaners you can buy that are any better?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 16-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Emrys Davies

Try brushing one of the spots with neat Jeyes Fluid and I think you will
have some success.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in
message ...

Old 16-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Tumbleweed

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Try brushing one of the spots with neat Jeyes Fluid and I think you will
have some success.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

I think that will cost me about £1000 in Jeyes fluid to clean it all up
though, it would be cheaper to get new paving laid :-)

Its not just that there are thousands of spots, these are what are left
after severe pressure washing, and there is still a coating of algae there
as well! Maybe its lost cause.

Old 16-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains
these words:

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Try brushing one of the spots with neat Jeyes Fluid and I think you will
have some success.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

I think that will cost me about £1000 in Jeyes fluid to clean it all up
though, it would be cheaper to get new paving laid :-)

Its not just that there are thousands of spots, these are what are left
after severe pressure washing, and there is still a coating of algae there
as well! Maybe its lost cause.

You could try going over it with a flamegun; it should fry the
algae/spots to dust.

Janet.
Old 16-11-2002, 08:34 PM
david

Try using Formaldehyde.. horrible to use but will do the job.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 16-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Martin Brown

Tumbleweed wrote:

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Try brushing one of the spots with neat Jeyes Fluid and I think you will
have some success.

I think that will cost me about £1000 in Jeyes fluid to clean it all up
though, it would be cheaper to get new paving laid :-)

Its not just that there are thousands of spots, these are what are left
after severe pressure washing, and there is still a coating of algae there
as well! Maybe its lost cause.

If you can stand the smell just water it all over with dilute Jeyes fluid on a
sunny day and leave it to dry. It kills algae stone dead - may take a week or
two but is pretty effective. Don't get it on other green plants.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 16-11-2002, 09:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
david wrote:
Try using Formaldehyde.. horrible to use but will do the job.

Try a a stiff broom, some sharp sand, some water and possibly a squirt
of washing up liquid. It works a dream and isn't horrible to use.
Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 16-11-2002, 11:35 PM
William Tasso

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?

Gotta get your kicks somewhere ;o)

--
William Tasso

Old 17-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Tumbleweed

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Tumbleweed wrote:

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Try brushing one of the spots with neat Jeyes Fluid and I think you

will
have some success.

I think that will cost me about £1000 in Jeyes fluid to clean it all up
though, it would be cheaper to get new paving laid :-)

Its not just that there are thousands of spots, these are what are left
after severe pressure washing, and there is still a coating of algae

there
as well! Maybe its lost cause.

If you can stand the smell just water it all over with dilute Jeyes fluid

on a
sunny day and leave it to dry. It kills algae stone dead - may take a week

or
two but is pretty effective. Don't get it on other green plants.

I'm already subject to many comments about the smell!! (Of the Jeye's fluid
I hasten to add)

Old 17-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Tumbleweed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
david wrote:
Try using Formaldehyde.. horrible to use but will do the job.

Try a a stiff broom, some sharp sand, some water and possibly a squirt
of washing up liquid. It works a dream and isn't horrible to use.
Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?

I was thinking chemicals. No particular requirement for toxicity.

Old 17-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Martin Brown

david wrote:
Try using Formaldehyde.. horrible to use but will do the job.

Try a a stiff broom, some sharp sand, some water and possibly a squirt
of washing up liquid. It works a dream and isn't horrible to use.
Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?

I was thinking chemicals. No particular requirement for toxicity.

Physical abrasion by sharp sand isn't a bad solution though. It will work.
Chances are you may need to use a combination of methods to get the more
persistent bits off.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 17-11-2002, 10:41 PM
david

Try a stiff broom, some sharp sand, some water and possibly a squirt
of washing up liquid. It works a dream and isn't horrible to use.
Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?

Well in defence.....
The sand and stiff broom may well SHIFT the algae, but it wont Kill it, so
you will have the problem back again quite quickly,
Formaldehyde will kill the algae and spores.

Alternatively you could tarmac over the top......

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"david" writes:
| Try a stiff broom, some sharp sand, some water and possibly a squirt
| of washing up liquid. It works a dream and isn't horrible to use.
| Why does everyone think in terms of toxic chemicals?
|
| Well in defence.....
| The sand and stiff broom may well SHIFT the algae, but it wont Kill it, so
| you will have the problem back again quite quickly,
| Formaldehyde will kill the algae and spores.

As they are ubiquitous in dust, that is only a temporary gain.
I should be surprised if it reduced the frequency of attention
needed by a large factor.

| Alternatively you could tarmac over the top......

Once the toxins have leached from the surface, algae will grow
quite well on that - and most domestic tarmac will break up if
you scrub it hard.

Old 18-11-2002, 07:48 PM
cormaic

'Twas Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:11:13 -0000, when "Tumbleweed"
enriched all our lives
with these worthy thoughts:

Any suggestions? Are there algae cleaners you can buy that are any better?

We use a low-pressure steam cleaner to remove algae and
lichens from concrete. There's a pic of the machine in question in the
'Cleaning Gum' section of the Removing Stains page of my paving
website....

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stains.htm#gum

....it can be hired for larger jobs, or there's a company that
will come and do it all for you. :~)

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 18-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Tumbleweed

"cormaic" wrote in message
'Twas Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:11:13 -0000, when "Tumbleweed"
enriched all our lives
with these worthy thoughts:

Any suggestions? Are there algae cleaners you can buy that are any

better?

We use a low-pressure steam cleaner to remove algae and
lichens from concrete. There's a pic of the machine in question in the
'Cleaning Gum' section of the Removing Stains page of my paving
website....

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stains.htm#gum

....it can be hired for larger jobs, or there's a company that
will come and do it all for you. :~)

Thanks, I might check out my local hire company. Or I wonder if one of those
wallpaper steamers might do the job?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

removing black spots from concrete path ben United Kingdom 10 14-02-2013 11:33 AM
Why waste time cleaning a concrete patio surface and removing all those weeds Floor Doctor United Kingdom 5 08-05-2011 06:52 PM
concrete slabs Herb and Eneva Lawns 3 19-06-2007 04:24 AM
lichen on concrete paving slabs Bill F United Kingdom 2 05-08-2004 01:50 AM
smashing up a concrete path John Wakefield United Kingdom 10 31-01-2004 05:07 AM