Old 16-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Bruce Thomas

Default Pruning Shears & Saws

If anyone would like to discuss a new gardening product, which in one-step
will clean, lubricate, disinfect and prevent rust on pruning shears and
saws, please reply to this article. Thank you...... Bruce

Old 17-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:00:50 GMT, "Bruce Thomas"
wrote:

If anyone would like to discuss a new gardening product, which in one-step
will clean, lubricate, disinfect and prevent rust on pruning shears and
saws, please reply to this article. Thank you...... Bruce

What's wrong with a wipe of meths followed by a spray of WD40? It's
just that I see that "sharpening" wasn't one of the processes
successfully completed by the new product and that is the difficult
bit.

Hussein
Old 18-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:15:27 -0000, Warwick
wrote:

I'm still a little bit curious why a company that is marketing a product
in the US is posting to a UK group though.

Surely not!

I reckon a huge and preponderant proportion of the "developed world"
depends for its living on convincing gullible people that they have
needs which don't in reality exist. The health of the ridiculous
economy to which we have allowed ourselves to be subjected depends on
endless consumption. Oy vey.

This one's a ruse from the petrochemical industry.

Respect (selective)

Hussein
Old 18-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Warwick

Begin ,
quote...
wrote:

I'm still a little bit curious why a company that is marketing a product
in the US is posting to a UK group though.

Surely not!

I reckon a huge and preponderant proportion of the "developed world"
depends for its living on convincing gullible people that they have
needs which don't in reality exist. The health of the ridiculous
economy to which we have allowed ourselves to be subjected depends on
endless consumption. Oy vey.

This one's a ruse from the petrochemical industry.

I doubt that. Although the guy may not have handled the use of
newsgroups very well since as far asd I can tell he tripped a filter and
ended up posting his reply via an anti troll mech I have running so his
emailed responses were posted.

His last one was long enough that it didn't trip anything and yet I feel
it is worth discussion to the group and I've asked him to post it to the
group or to grant me leave to do so. His initial approach was about
right I think, although it skipped the commercial aspect enough to
trigger the sceptic filters that we've all built up. His inadvertant
follow up is humorous for tripping stuff meant for elsewhere, but he
even followed that up showing that he's still around and reading.
Spammers don't normally stick around (unless their father bought them a
usenet account *ahem* different thread). He's starting to ask the right
questions from the wrong perspective though and I need the responses of
more gardners and scientists too to cover all of the stuff he's asking.

Warwick

Old 19-11-2002, 01:36 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:39:28 -0000, Warwick
wrote:

This one's a ruse from the petrochemical industry.

I doubt that.

Whatever, Warwick. I think you are obviously much wiser to the
mechanisms he is (or isn't) using to get his message across. I don't
follow any of your technical internet stuff.

To me, quite simply, the post was the equivalent of the junk mail
which pours into my letter box of a morn and I should have ignored the
message the same way as I do the latter. The problem I suppose was
that it was as if this junk latter had ben delivered by hand and the
person responsible was standing on my doorstep. I couldn't resist.

Respect

Hussein
Old 20-11-2002, 09:02 PM
DaveDay34

This thread is interesting, but poorly managed by the origional poster. The
product is American, and while not 'bad' per se the web site does seem to only
cater for Americans (from what I remember). So, as someone else has already
commented, why post to a UK newsgroup?

I think a little more thought, openess, and honesty are needed from this
poster. If he wants to get opinions about a US product that the company he
represents is hoping to market within the UK, then he needs to express that
more clearly. He also needs to ask specific (sensible) questions to get a
serious, helpful response. A few free samples would not cost and serious
company very much indeed, and would surely be normal for any company wanting to
test the water for a new product (market research?).

Personally, if I was serious about breaking into a new market in a country with
different cultural values, etc. I would offer free samples along with a
questionaire to be filled out giving feedback, and also ample space for
comments from testers. The arguement might be that the product has been
tested, and works, but to break into a new market takes a little more effort
and thought than seems to have been shown so far.

Just my own opinion, for what it's worth.

Dave.

P.S.

Sending a free sample to Gardening Which? for testing would be a good move, if
the product is as good as is claimed. Independent testing and approval by a
well known UK consumer group could do wonders for such a product. If mentioned
in the Gardening Which? magazine, it could amount to free publicity to
thousands of gardeners all over the UK.
Old 20-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , DaveDay34
writes
This thread is interesting, but poorly managed by the origional poster.

Eh??
The original was a spam, nothing more (((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 22-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Warwick

Begin ,
quote...
The message
from
(DaveDay34) contains these words:

This thread is interesting, but poorly managed by the origional poster.

It was just spam, and iirc, crossposted to rec.gardens, a mostly
American group.
There's little point trying to discuss anything with a spammer; most are
either idiots or charlatans, so their messages here just serve as a
useful warning not to do business with them. There *is* such a thing as
bad publicity :-)

Threads are not "managed" by their originator or anyone else, btw; rg
and urg are both unmoderated groups.Urg's usenet charter discourages all
but the most minimal commercial advertising.

See the help pages of
www.google/groups for more info on how usenet
operates, or the weekly message called "abc for newcomers to urg", for
info about this group.

I never noticed the crosspost (damn).

When he actually replied and seemed reasonably interested in discussing
the issues raised rather than the product I took it up. I can't recall a
website or product being touted as such, just a fishing expedition. When
he tripped something and ended up posting via my mail server with a
commercial sounding "From" I smelled a bit of a rat, but was willing to
continue the discussion.

I was waiting for him to tell us how we could prevent cross infection of
plants during a session of snipping by cleaning the shears at the *end*
of the day. I wanted to be there to let him know about rust problems
*cough*.

I skipped on calling it spam since it tried damn hard to be on topic and
didn't point one at a website and unlike the usual usenet spammer the OP
came back to try to continue.

He still hasn't come up with a solution that'll let me hang up the
secateurs and come back to find them magically sharpened though

Warwick