Old 17-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Drakanthus

Default Passion Flower Fruits - really tasty!

The fruits finally looked ripe (golden colour) on the ornamental passion
flower growing up the South facing side of the house and I just tried eating
the seeds - they were red, juicy and very sweet. I was under the impression
that the ornamental varieties grown in the UK for their flowers did not have
tasty seeds - these were lovely! Unfortunately I can't find the plant label
anywhere though to say what variety it is.
My wife is not so keen to try them - and says she will try them tomorrow if
I'm still alive!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 17-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Michael Berridge

Drakanthus wrote in message ...
My wife is not so keen to try them - and says she will try them

tomorrow if
I'm still alive!
--
Drakanthus.

Please post again tomorrow so we will know whether you have died or not.

Perhaps the passion flower you have growing is edulis and that would
explain it, but I think some of the other ornamental varieties will
produce edible fruit as well, according to some of the catalogues at
least.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 17-11-2002, 09:28 PM
david

I just tried eating
the seeds - they were red, juicy and very sweet. I was under the impression
that the ornamental varieties grown in the UK for their flowers did not have
tasty seeds -

I think you mean the fruit..

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-11-2002, 04:41 PM
Drakanthus

My wife is not so keen to try them - and says she will try them
tomorrow if
I'm still alive!
--
Drakanthus.

Please post again tomorrow so we will know whether you have died or not.

Perhaps the passion flower you have growing is edulis and that would
explain it, but I think some of the other ornamental varieties will
produce edible fruit as well, according to some of the catalogues at
least.

Mike

Still alive, no stomach pump needed! I'm looking forward to eating the rest
of them now - they taste better than the shop bought ones. The passion
flower competes for space with a Clematis Montana on the South facing wall
of the house - it has gained an ally in its battle now - so the pruning /
feeding may be a little biased in future.
Nice to have a plant that flowers so profusely for many months of the year
and produces delicious fruits as well. Even now it still has the odd flower
or two on it.

Old 18-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Natalie

"
Still alive, no stomach pump needed! I'm looking forward to eating the

rest
of them now - they taste better than the shop bought ones. The passion
flower competes for space with a Clematis Montana on the South facing wall
of the house - it has gained an ally in its battle now - so the pruning /
feeding may be a little biased in future.
Nice to have a plant that flowers so profusely for many months of the year
and produces delicious fruits as well. Even now it still has the odd

flower
or two on it.
--

Glad you are still with us :-)

If you describe the fruit, maybe we can identify which Passiflora you have.

Natalie

Old 19-11-2002, 01:36 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:45:56 -0000, "Natalie"
wrote:

Nice to have a plant that flowers so profusely for many months of the year
and produces delicious fruits as well. Even now it still has the odd

flower
or two on it.
--

Glad you are still with us :-)

If you describe the fruit, maybe we can identify which Passiflora you have.

Yes, mine (unknown variety/species) has yellow fruits about the size
of plums but, although perfectly palatable, they aren't exactly
flavour full. I would go for the bowl of raspberries if given the
choice. Mind you, UK grown soft fruit is a bit of a plus in the couple
of months just gone by.

With a feeling of great chuffiness I gave one to an Indian lady who
lives in the same block and she wasn't at all impressed. Mind you, the
curries she cooks are so unbelievably hot it would probably take a
Shatkora give her taste buds even the slightest tickle.

Hussein