Old 17-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Carl

Default Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools

Hi,

I have mushrooms or toadstools growing in my garden and want to get rid of
them. What is the best and most sucessful way/product to get rid of these.
I do not have pets.

Thanks,

Carl

Old 17-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Mary Fisher

"Carl" wrote in message
Hi,

I have mushrooms or toadstools growing in my garden and want to get rid of
them. What is the best and most sucessful way/product to get rid of

these.
I do not have pets.

Thanks,

Carl

Identify them and eat the edible ones.

sits back and waits for flack

Mary

Old 17-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Larry Stoter

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Carl" wrote in message
Hi,

I have mushrooms or toadstools growing in my garden and want to get rid of
them. What is the best and most sucessful way/product to get rid of

these.
I do not have pets.

Thanks,

Carl

Identify them and eat the edible ones.

sits back and waits for flack

Mary

A very sensible suggestion, IMHO.

Although, if it is Honey Fungus (supposedly edible although I can't
personally vouch for that), you may need to review your planting
strategy.

Try to learn to live with nature rather reaching for the chemicals every
time it does something you don't like.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 17-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Rod

"Carl" wrote in message
Hi,

I have mushrooms or toadstools growing in my garden and want to get rid of
them. What is the best and most sucessful way/product to get rid of

these.
I do not have pets.

Thanks,

Carl

You need to enclose your garden in an airtight dome and kill off all forms
of life - then see if you (or anything else) can survive in there.
It's probably not worth the bother.

Rod

Old 17-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Carl

For Gods sake what is up with you guys? I came here for a sensible answer
to a sensible question. I have a sense of humour, but you people are just
pillocks . . .

Old 17-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"Carl" wrote in message

For Gods sake what is up with you guys? I came here for a sensible answer
to a sensible question. I have a sense of humour, but you people are just
pillocks . . .

All the answers were sensible.

You can't get rid of fungi so you might as well make the most of them.

Mary

Old 18-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Warwick

Begin , se
quote...

For Gods sake what is up with you guys? I came here for a sensible answer
to a sensible question. I have a sense of humour, but you people are just
pillocks . . .

Well as to the sensibleness or otherwise of the question. You will
likely get a flippant answer to many questions asked here. I know I
have.

As to the fungi. Where is it growing? What does it look like?

Is it on the bark of living trees or on dead branches. Is it on the
ground beneath trees (light woodland). Is it occasional classic shaped
toadstools coming up in the lawn? Is it in the form of a ring? Is it
coming up in flowerbeds? Have you been using a manure fertiliser in the
beds? Is the garden exceptionally damp at the moment or is it a damp
garden in general?

I have toadstools coming up all over the raised bed I built in the
summer. Oddly enough though they are a form that is frequently seen on
manure heaps. Although I dug as deep as possible to get the well rotted
stuff out of the muck heap, fungal spores obviously survived in
sufficient numbers.

Earlier in the year I had a bunch of shrooms that love wetland pastures.
This was when my neighbour's pond sprung a leak and rather than repair
it she continually topped it up leaving us with a claylike fen. Some
tining, sharpsand and maybe she's patched it and I haven't seen them for
a while.

Fungal spores tend to be very small, light and airborne, although many
will drop from the plant as it comes up within a few inches of it,
especially if there is no breeze.

To deal with ground based ones, the spores will be dropped by the fungus
in the early hours of the morning as the cap opens so you can't get out
there and stop them dropping spores. That wouldn't be a help anyway as
many of the particles in the air are fungal spores so they're going to
land in from elsewhere. You need to change the conditions so that they
aren't what the fungus likes. Remove the deadwood that it is growing on,
improve the drainage for a wetland one. Where they are coming up in my
border I ignore them. Any manure that hasn't been broken down by now
will be gone by next year and the conditions won't be there for them
then.

If you are concerned about toxicity and small children then education of
the children if they're old enough for it will help, get yourself a book
on fungi and veer to the cautious side of it. Most fungi don't poison
you and most of the ones that do taste foul (isn't it odd how the human
body has developed a dislike for the taste of that which poisons).

The responses people have given so far are out of a lack of concern over
something that is not perceived as a problem because it isn't normally a
problem. We had a 'fairy ring' in the lawn at my parent's house when I
was small you can't do anything about that because changing the
conditions to disuade the fungus that creates those would mean changing
them to a point that the grass would find intolerable, I knew at a small
age that I shouldn't eat those little brown toadstools and I didn't (I
didn't want to evict the fairies from their homes). Those things aren't
good eating, but they aren't even going to cause an upset tummy unless
you eat a couple of rings worth.

You have a piece of nature in the garden that you didn't put there. Find
out what you have before you condemn it out of hand and try to eradicate
it.

Warwick -- sticking up for mushrooms since 2002
Old 18-11-2002, 10:41 AM
MrMoosehead

"Carl" muttered something incoherent along the
lines of:

For Gods sake what is up with you guys? I came here for a sensible answer
to a sensible question. I have a sense of humour, but you people are just
pillocks . . .

You must be a fungi to be with then.

--
MrMoosehead | I'm just an away team member in a red shirt...
CBR600f MRO#28 BONY#4 | nice word: *** graduand ***
Old 18-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Carl" writes:

| For Gods sake what is up with you guys? I came here for a sensible answer
| to a sensible question. I have a sense of humour, but you people are just
| pillocks . . .

Now, think laterally - there is another explanation. Just possibly,
perhaps, maybe, on the off chance, couldn't it be the case that
your question was NOT sensible?

A serious answer to your question is that 80% of such questions
are asked by trolls. You cannot kill a troll by responding
reasonably or by insulting them, but you can by laughing at them.
You were taken for a troll - if you aren't one, then reread the
replies if you want to understand why.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 18-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Carl

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
A serious answer to your question is that 80% of such questions
are asked by trolls. You cannot kill a troll by responding
reasonably or by insulting them, but you can by laughing at them.
You were taken for a troll - if you aren't one, then reread the
replies if you want to understand why.

Rubbish. And I am not a troll. I scanned this NG and then did a Google
Groups search for this question and got a poor response. I thought maybe
that someone on here may be able to help, but it looks like I was condenmed
from the start. Is this really a group in which posters just take the ****
out of each other? I was hoping and believed I would find someone with a
bit of knowledge on here. If I was taken for a troll then there is an awful
lot of paranoia on here . . .

Old 18-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Mary Fisher

****
out of each other? I was hoping and believed I would find someone with a
bit of knowledge on here. If I was taken for a troll then there is an

awful
lot of paranoia on here . . .

I didn't think you were a troll but I still say that (most) of the replies
have not been in jest. The slant might have been humorous but the advice is
still sound.

Mary

Old 18-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Carl wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
A serious answer to your question is that 80% of such questions
are asked by trolls. You cannot kill a troll by responding
reasonably or by insulting them, but you can by laughing at them.
You were taken for a troll - if you aren't one, then reread the
replies if you want to understand why.

_________________________________________________ _______

Rubbish. ...

Would you like to explain which part of my posting was rubbish, and
why?

As Mary Fisher points out, there is enough seriousness in the responses
for you to work out why you looked very much like a troll. That is,
if you aren't one.

Old 19-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:14:09 -0000, "Carl" wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
A serious answer to your question is that 80% of such questions
are asked by trolls. You cannot kill a troll by responding
reasonably or by insulting them, but you can by laughing at them.
You were taken for a troll - if you aren't one, then reread the
replies if you want to understand why.

_________________________________________________ _______

Rubbish. And I am not a troll. I scanned this NG and then did a Google
Groups search for this question and got a poor response. I thought maybe
that someone on here may be able to help, but it looks like I was condenmed
from the start. Is this really a group in which posters just take the ****
out of each other? I was hoping and believed I would find someone with a
bit of knowledge on here. If I was taken for a troll then there is an awful
lot of paranoia on here . . .

Point one:

If the mushrooms growing on your lawn are edible then you have the
makings of a fine feast....if you have any ground elder too then you
can kill two birds with one stone, with a dollop of wild mushrooms
sauteed in butter and garlic on a bed of steamed ground elder.

Point two:

There's no way on earth you can remove fungi short of annihilating
your garden. Each individual fruiting body chucks out millions of
spores ... and does so within hours of appearing from nowhere.
These microscopic spores are abundant in the air at this time of
year.... if you lay waste to the current flush of fungi you can pretty
much guarantee they'll be back next year... or another species that
favours the conditions in your garden.
The bits that you can see represent a mere fraction of the entire
organism... the mycelium ( think of it as the roots ) can occupy a
huge area of ground beneath the fruiting body ( the 'toadstool' ).
This autumn has been particularly well suited to lawn fungi.
If it's dry next year you may not seem them ( but they'll still be
there, lying in wait for wet and warm weather ).

Point three:

By and large, fungi are harmless. The only really nasty bugger is
Honey Fungus ( in horticultural terms ), the rest are relatively
benign.. though naturally you'd be extremely foolish to eat any that
you couldn't identify for certain.
To all intents and purposes they can be treated as very short lived
annuals.

Point four:

There is no point four

Point five:

All this has been said already, this is a collation of the posts with
the humour removed.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 19-11-2002, 02:36 AM
Hussein M.

Rubbish. And I am not a troll.

C'mon Carl. I think by now you must realise that these (really rather
pleasant compared to some) people have at the end of the day helped
you with your question.

Mind you it might take a while for you to forgive being likened to a
hairy dwarfish creature from up Scandinavia way sent forth from the
Hall of The Mountain King.

Huss

Toadstools/mushrooms STEPHEN United Kingdom 10 07-11-2005 10:22 PM
toadstools farmer brown Lawns 2 27-07-2003 10:12 PM
Toadstools in new lawn Aileen Howard United Kingdom 0 04-07-2003 08:56 AM
Toadstools/Mushrooms Shepherd Gardening 1 04-06-2003 06:32 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 06:55 PM