Old 18-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Piggerypoke

Default Azalea

I have an azalea which has been grown in a pot and kept outside. This year
spring time I had a wonderful display.
My question is when should it be in flower a friend said it's xmas time,
admititly
there also seems to be blooms on it at the moment, but what is the flowering
time
Please help

Old 22-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:10:21 -0000, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Outdoor azaleas will usually flower in early spring. Most of those sold
in flower at this time of the year are not hardy and should not be
planted out. I have two outdoor ones, one evergreen, and one deciduous.
They were bought as that, but I also have two indoor ones, now
approaching 5 years and they have flowered regularly. Just keep them
watered, feed, and keep them in a light place but not in full sun. Mine
are both in full bloom now.

My next door neighbour keeps passing on to me plants bought for the
household and past their prime as a transient ornament for the house.
I usually just bung them into the garden and see if they survive.

I've been pleasantly surprised on one or two occasions. There is a
fuschia just coming into flower right now and a rather a nice one to
boot.

Even the Azalea bloomed earlier this year, but it does look as though
it is struggling.

I don't think it likes having been plonked amongst a pile of rocks in
the ericaceous (sp?) raised bed with all the heathers. One thing I am
sure of .. it will never exhibit the same display that it omce did in
Safeways, Sainsbury's or wherever.

The miserable thing with puny white flowers keeps looking as though
it's on it's last legs but I see there are some healthy looking green
shoots springing up at this moment.

Respect

Hussein

Backyard Azalea 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 01-04-2009 01:24 AM
azalea papanix United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 11:22 AM
[IBC] azalea Art Krummel Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 05:51 PM
azalea questions Tanya Gardening 6 11-02-2003 05:55 PM
[IBC] azalea basics Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 05:26 AM