Old 21-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Grimly Curmudgeon

Default using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:58:13 +0000, Platypus
wrote:

IIRC you can get a "chainsaw" disc for angle grinders - possibly from
Machine Mart.

http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/pro...uct7frame.html

--

Dave

GS 850 x2 / SE 6a
SbS# 6? DIAABTCOD# 16 APOSTLE# 16? FUB#3
FUB KotL OSOS# 12?
(Numbers guessed at - lost everything in the
Great Power Surge of '02)
Old 21-11-2002, 08:56 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
wrote:

IIRC you can get a "chainsaw" disc for angle grinders - possibly from
Machine Mart.

http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/pro...uct7frame.html

errrrm - prosthetic feet???????????

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/
Old 21-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "dave @ stejonda" writes:
| In message , Grimly
| Curmudgeon writes
| On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:58:13 +0000, Platypus
| wrote:
|
| IIRC you can get a "chainsaw" disc for angle grinders - possibly from
| Machine Mart.
|
| http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/pro...uct7frame.html
|

| errrrm - prosthetic feet???????????

Yes. Many people who hire a chainsaw for use up a ladder because
they find a bowsaw too hard to handle will need to buy prosthetic
feet a short while afterwards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 21-11-2002, 09:16 AM
MrMoosehead

"dave @ stejonda" muttered something
incoherent along the lines of:

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
wrote:

IIRC you can get a "chainsaw" disc for angle grinders - possibly from
Machine Mart.

http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/pro...uct7frame.html

errrrm - prosthetic feet???????????

In that you may be needing these after trying the aforementioned
product.
--
MrMoosehead | I'm just an away team member in a red shirt...
CBR600f MRO#28 BONY#4 | nice word: *** palinode ***
Old 21-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Jon Green

Bloody good, innit?

Haven't posted for ages, and soon as I do, I'm telling people how to
kill things instead.

I'll, um, get me coat....

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/

Old 21-11-2002, 01:26 PM
gonad

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message ...
In message , Nick Gray
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an urgent need to decrease to ~7ft a line of Leylandii along one
edge of my garden. Using a handsaw is good for me but takes too long. I
am not prepared to spend money on a chainsaw for this single use. What
would be the issues in using an angle-grinder? The sap is obviously
relatively viscous and non-seepy at the moment so I wouldn't expect
catching from that to be a problem. The maximum trunk diameter is
probably 3". What do folks think?

When you say handsaw do you mean a pruning saw or a bow saw? A good sharp
bow saw should do the job as quickly and effortlessly as an angle grinder.

Ahh, good point. I've been using a bow saw which was new last year.
Maybe I just need to replace it/blade.

don't think I'd like to use an angle grinder - something spinning that fast
at just above head level, when a large section of tree is about to land on
it could mean trouble.

Very true.

Just had a look on the B&Q site - they have the Wilkinson Sword 21" bow saw
for £9.98

wow! - thanks.

Stop ****ing about and go down the local HSS and hire a proper chainsaw for the day.

Proper job, loads of fun.

--
nigel
r1
Old 21-11-2002, 01:33 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , gonad
writes
Stop ****ing about and go down the local HSS and hire a proper chainsaw
for the day.

Proper job, loads of fun.

Thanks for the thought gonad but if you read through the rest of the
thread you'll see I've done the deed. I'm just making sure they've got
the message now.

Old 21-11-2002, 01:36 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jon Green
writes
Bloody good, innit?

Haven't posted for ages, and soon as I do, I'm telling people how to
kill things instead.

To a caterpillar the cocoon is death but to the master...

There are many plants that will benefit now from the increase in light
reaching them. The only other life-form that will suffer is the moss.

I'll, um, get me coat....

Well, it *is* raining outside, but please, there's no need to go...

Old 23-11-2002, 08:23 AM
AWM

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an urgent need to decrease to ~7ft a line of Leylandii along one
edge of my garden. Using a handsaw is good for me but takes too long. I
am not prepared to spend money on a chainsaw for this single use. What
would be the issues in using an angle-grinder? The sap is obviously
relatively viscous and non-seepy at the moment so I wouldn't expect
catching from that to be a problem. The maximum trunk diameter is
probably 3". What do folks think?

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint

http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/

Use a "chain saw disc" (no kidding !) in the angle grinder Screwfix Direct
sell them -- but take care when using.

Old 24-11-2002, 01:26 PM
DaveDay34

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Thanks for all your help folks. Now, can anyone tell me *why* copper
nails are going to work?

They aren't, afaik; hammering hundreds of copper pennies into ancient
trees for luck, doesn't kill them. (It's a tradition in some places).

So my nocturnal hammerings were fun but in vain - oh well.

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/

Coins hammered into trees were traditionally often silver. Coins are also
relatively small and only hammered a relatively short way into the bark of the
tree, so cause no real damage.

The issue with hammering copper nails into the trees to kill them comes from
the chemical imbalance that is caused by introducing too much copper into the
plant/tree's system. Copper is needed by plants to grow, but like many things,
too much of a good thing can be bad for you. The same goes for plants and
trees. Various trees/plants may have varying tolerances for too much copper,
so depending on the type of tree, age, size, etc. the number of copper nails
needed to kill a tree may vary immensely.

Hope this helps, though I understand the offending trees have now been removed
by mechanical means. Best thing that could have happened to them.

Dave.

Old 24-11-2002, 03:04 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , DaveDay34
writes

Hope this helps, though I understand the offending trees have now been
removed by mechanical means. Best thing that could have happened to
them.

Thanks Dave - no, you misread something. I've reduced the trees to ~7ft
and banged Cu nails into as many of the upward facing trunks/branches
over 1/2" diameter as I could. The larger trunks have had up to 5 nails
banged vertically into the living tissue around the edge.

Now it's just a case of waiting to see what the new tenants do and, if
they do nothing as I rather expect, whether the copper will deter the
trees from starting their upward march again.

Old 19-12-2002, 06:22 PM
bnd777

Default Leylandii

Boy is the cost of living cheap in your area
Quote down south would be at least £100

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Steve" contains these words:

Does anyone know what the approximate cost would be for cutting down and
taking away a leylandii tree about 30 ft tall. I'm in the north of

England.

I've just paid someone an hourly rate of £15 for a similar job. Not
cheap but for that rate I got a fully insured local forestry worker
using safety equipment, who avoided potential hazards, removed all
debris and and left the site very clean and tidy. Avoid unskilled
odd-jobbers by asking ask to see their tree-work insurance
certificate.Time taken depends on the position of the trees and space
available.

Two trees of about that size which he could fell straight from ground
level, no hazards nearby, took him an hour to fell and cut up (removal
to a disposal site 7 miles away took longer). Some much bigger ones in
trickier locations,(near oiltank, overhead phone cable, neighbours'
property) took him a lot longer to get down from the top,in small
pieces.

Janet (Arran).

Old 19-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Steve" contains these words:

Does anyone know what the approximate cost would be for cutting down and
taking away a leylandii tree about 30 ft tall. I'm in the north of

England.

I've just paid someone an hourly rate of £15 for a similar job.

Boy is the cost of living cheap in your area
Quote down south would be at least £100

Per hour? £4,000 per week, £200,000 per year?

No wonder you can't get enough teachers and nurses down there, they must
be leaving the profession in droves to qualify as tree fellers.

Janet
Old 19-12-2002, 07:46 PM
bnd777

No £100 for the work not per hour .........if only it was
I see from papers today that average salaries are same up north as down
south yet housing and council tax costs etc are 10 times as much down south
..........soon we will all be in the poor house
North South divide !!!!!!!!!!!!AKA Tony Blair

Old 19-12-2002, 10:34 PM
Rod

Per hour? £4,000 per week, £200,000 per year?

No wonder you can't get enough teachers and nurses down there, they must
be leaving the profession in droves to qualify as tree fellers.

Anybody who thinks tree work is money for old rope should have been with me this afternoon. We had a team here taking down a large
decayed Sycamore that was overhanging a listed building as well as several smaller trees we didn't want damaged. It was bitterly
cold, the wind was not strong but was a bit gusty making things difficult at times. They got that tree down in sections, lowering
many of the large pieces by rope having had to cut them to swing away from the building. These guys need courage, discipline,
concentration, skill, agility and a deep knowledge of the way trees grow and decay. They love trees and respect their environment. I
think they'll get about 300 quid between the 3 of them for that job and worth every penny. I wonder how many professionals you'd
find in other spheres who possess just those first 4 qualities. We need to pay well enough to attract the right people to this kind
of work and squeeze out the cowboys.

Rod