Old 20-12-2002, 12:21 AM
bnd777

Default Leylandii

Well aware just how good and how dedicated Tree Surgeons are and that they
deserve a decent rate for the job and if i had trees to fell i would pay
them

If all Janet paid was £15 for a job that would cost at least a £100 in my
neck of the woods one cant help but wonder whats going on

As a professional in another field I only wish i could earn even £15 per
hour down here in the South
where even a 2 up 2 down semi costs £160,000

"Rod" wrote in message
Per hour? £4,000 per week, £200,000 per year?

No wonder you can't get enough teachers and nurses down there, they must
be leaving the profession in droves to qualify as tree fellers.

Anybody who thinks tree work is money for old rope should have been with

me this afternoon. We had a team here taking down a large
decayed Sycamore that was overhanging a listed building as well as several

smaller trees we didn't want damaged. It was bitterly
cold, the wind was not strong but was a bit gusty making things difficult

at times. They got that tree down in sections, lowering
many of the large pieces by rope having had to cut them to swing away from

the building. These guys need courage, discipline,
concentration, skill, agility and a deep knowledge of the way trees grow

and decay. They love trees and respect their environment. I
think they'll get about 300 quid between the 3 of them for that job and

worth every penny. I wonder how many professionals you'd
find in other spheres who possess just those first 4 qualities. We need to

pay well enough to attract the right people to this kind
of work and squeeze out the cowboys.

Rod

Old 20-12-2002, 12:28 AM
PaulK

"Rod" wrote in message
Per hour? £4,000 per week, £200,000 per year?

. I
think they'll get about 300 quid between the 3 of them for that job and

worth every penny.

And deserve considerably more!

I wonder how many professionals you'd
find in other spheres who possess just those first 4 qualities. We need to

pay well enough to attract the right people to this kind
of work and squeeze out the cowboys.

Agree wholeheartedly - see my "whinge" post off this thread

pk

Old 20-12-2002, 12:51 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , bnd777
writes
If all Janet paid was £15 for a job that would cost at least a £100 in my
neck of the woods one cant help but wonder whats going on

Big Snip........

She said they charged GBP 15 /hour, the job took rather longer than that
by the sound of it.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 20-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

Well aware just how good and how dedicated Tree Surgeons are and that they
deserve a decent rate for the job and if i had trees to fell i would pay
them

If all Janet paid was £15 for a job that would cost at least a £100 in my
neck of the woods one cant help but wonder whats going on

What's going on is that you didn't read my post properly. I did not
say all I paid was £15 for the entire job; I said I paid an hourly rate
of £15..that was whether the contractor was standing on the ground
cutting the two easy smaller trees, forty feet in the air taking the
large ones down in small pieces, driving his empty trailer back from
where he dumped the trees, or having his tea break. A total of four days
work, paid at £15 per hour.

Janet.