Old 19-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Doddles

Default Need electric self propelled lawnmower

We have a small London back garden with about 40 minutes worth
of grass to cut. We want to do it ourselves as long as we can.
The Flymo is becoming too hard for us to manage. Is there such
a thing as a small electric self propelled lawn mower? If so
where would they be sold?
MTIA Doddles

Old 19-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Doddles" wrote in message
news
We have a small London back garden with about 40 minutes worth
of grass to cut. We want to do it ourselves as long as we can.
The Flymo is becoming too hard for us to manage. Is there such
a thing as a small electric self propelled lawn mower? If so
where would they be sold?
MTIA Doddles

Why not try one of those fully automatic "Electric Sheep" So long as your
patch is reasonable flat they just go out and get on with it, solar powered
so no wire etc. I have always fancied one but my garden is too steep.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-11-2002, 06:50 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:42:29 GMT, "Doddles"
wrote:

We have a small London back garden with about 40 minutes worth
of grass to cut. We want to do it ourselves as long as we can.
The Flymo is becoming too hard for us to manage. Is there such
a thing as a small electric self propelled lawn mower? If so
where would they be sold?
MTIA Doddles

As we both work at quite demanding jobs, and now have a medium sized
garden with a large area set to lawn and neither of us wants to mow it
regularly enough to keep it in good nick, we have invested in a
Robomow. Fantastic little thing. You lay a green wire circuit round
the edge of the lawn which connects to a small battery operated
circuit maker - you only have to do this once and after a short time
the wire disappears into the grass and is invisible. You drive out
the mower with a little remote pad set in the top, turn it on and off
it goes. You won't get the nice lawn stripes, but you do get all that
time to go off and do something more fun instead. It cuts well, you
can adjust the height, it tripple cuts the clippings so there's no
raking afterwards. I was a tad dubious in the first place thinking it
would be a technology that just wouldn't live up to the promises, but
it has, and I thoroughly recommend it. They're still not cheap but
are coming down in price all the time. http://www.allenpower.com/ is
the seller, their website will give you your local stockist. (I'm not
in anyway related to this company, just bought the product),

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 19-11-2002, 07:43 PM
david

40 minutes worth of grass to cut.

-- Well that's a different measure of a lawn.
Mine used to take around 3 to 4 hours to cut with a 20" cut, now have a
1.15m cutter bar and cut a bigger area in 45 mins.

Have you thought of a small petrol mower a lot cheaper and easier to find
than a rechargeable electric mower.
Rechargeable/cordless electric are available but are expensive and don't
have a very long cutting time against a longish charging time.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 19-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Victoria Clare

"Doddles" wrote in
news
We have a small London back garden with about 40 minutes worth
of grass to cut. We want to do it ourselves as long as we can.
The Flymo is becoming too hard for us to manage. Is there such
a thing as a small electric self propelled lawn mower? If so
where would they be sold?

I looked for a rotary one of these for ages this spring, but no luck.
There was, I seem to recall, a small electric powered cylinder mower
available at the time - they had them in Homebase, so probably fairly
widely available, though I tried lifting one, and the extra motor did make
them relatively heavy.

In the end I got a small Qualcast Easytrak 32 instead (wheels, but not
powered). Found it was much, much easier to push than my horrible old
Flymo - you might want to try a garden machinery shop or something and see
how heavy you find these small unpowered machines, if the automated systems
aren't suitable.

I wanted one because I have very sloping lawns and steps to lug the mower
up and down, so wanted one I could lift with one hand and require no effort
to push - the one I bought fulfils the first criterion, and almost the
second one.

--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall

Old 19-11-2002, 08:08 PM
Victoria Clare

Victoria Clare wrote in
.207:

In the end I got a small Qualcast Easytrak 32 instead (wheels, but not
powered). Found it was much, much easier to push than my horrible old
Flymo - you might want to try a garden machinery shop or something and
see how heavy you find these small unpowered machines, if the
automated systems aren't suitable.

Oops, meant to correct this to make it clear this is an electric mower, but
not selfpropelled.
Old 19-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Doddles

Very many thanks for all the replies. Doddles

Old 20-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:01:52 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

In the end I got a small Qualcast Easytrak 32 instead (wheels, but not
powered). Found it was much, much easier to push than my horrible old
Flymo - you might want to try a garden machinery shop or something and see

I must second Victoria's findings here. An electric rotary lawnmower on
wheels is *far* easier to cope with than a hover electric rotary
lawnmower. There's no strain on the back or side muscles as you swing the
thing round - mainly because you have to push the lawnmower instead!

I've just upgraded to a petrol rotary simply due to a much larger quantity
of grass to mow due to moving house.

Regards,

Sarah