Old 29-12-2004, 12:04 PM
gray

Default Scale insects - How do I get rid of ??

I have a camellia and orange tree, that are continually covered with
scale insects.

I have been round the garden centre and have only found 1 chemical
that is good for scale insects. That comes in a premixed spray made by
Bio and is systemic.

Any suggestions please, as the above only seems to just control them,
and not get rid of them, as they keep coming back.

TIA
Old 29-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Charlie Pridham

"gray" wrote in message
I have a camellia and orange tree, that are continually covered with
scale insects.

I have been round the garden centre and have only found 1 chemical
that is good for scale insects. That comes in a premixed spray made by
Bio and is systemic.

Any suggestions please, as the above only seems to just control them,
and not get rid of them, as they keep coming back.

TIA

They will keep coming back because scale is a native pest and lives on a
variety of wild hosts.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-12-2004, 02:39 PM
ajr

"gray" wrote in message
I have a camellia and orange tree, that are continually covered with
scale insects.

I have been round the garden centre and have only found 1 chemical
that is good for scale insects. That comes in a premixed spray made by
Bio and is systemic.

Any suggestions please, as the above only seems to just control them,
and not get rid of them, as they keep coming back.

TIA

My Mum has had the same problem with a small lemon tree that was infested
with 'scale insects'.

The only way that she has found to get rid of them (and the one recommended
in Dr Hessayon's (sp?) house plant book) was to isolate the plant and to
scrape them off with a blunt knife. From what I can gather it was a
laborious process (mind you not as laborious as having to listen to her go
on about it! :-) ) and there's no guarantee that they won't reappear later
in the year - particularly as they are difficult to spot in the first place.

Cheers,

Andrew