Old 06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| Taken with your other post, it suggests either the Normans were using
| 'un porc' for the pig and we picked up it up for the meat, and that
| French moved on to 'cochon' later, or that the normans used 'porc' for
| the meat only. Either way around fits into the pattern.

But the French HAVEN'T moved on to 'cochon'! 'porc' is a near-synonym.
A search indicates that was true in 1694. 'porceau' then as now is
a young pig.

| What about 'poultry'? Am I right in thinking it's derived from 'poulet'?

Nearly. 'poultier' hence 'poulter' - a person who cared for the
poultry. They have the same root as 'poulet'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
hugh

In message , Tumbleweed
writes

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:44:53 -0000, "Tumbleweed"

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:17:15 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

All they had to do was cancel lunch hours in France. The Russians would
never have got through. ;-)
:-)
Why were they preparing for a Russian invasion long after the cold war
was over?

This was 1974.

but there wasn't a channel tunnel in 1974, or was there a secret one
we didn't know about?

No, but it was on the cards, so they were planning/brainstorming for what
would happen when it was in place. Unusual government foresight, normally
you'd expect the invasion to happen via the chunnel and then the civil
service to be completely surprised that such a thing could happen.

No that would be the military.
--
hugh
Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Klara

In message , griz
writes
reading your reply, I was hoping you would actually explain what the
difference is ...

In my dictionary
tidal wave:
1. a nontechnical name for tsunami
2. an unusually large incoming wave, often caused by high winds and
spring tides

tsunami
a huge destructive wave, esp one caused by an earthquake. Also called:
tidal wave.

Does this mean that in the common use they are synonymous, but only
tsunami is really caused by earthquakes?

Following this discussion, I though I would surf around a few European
newspapers to see what they have done: Le Monde, which I would have
expected to use a French word, seems to use tsunami; Der Spiegel seems
to refer to Flut - flood; in Spanish papers I saw 'maremoto' which is, I
think, tidal wave; Corriere della Sera has tsunami; and Hungarians use a
word that roughly translates as 'leaping flood'.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Klara
wrote:

in Spanish papers I saw 'maremoto' which is, I
think, tidal wave;

"Seaquake" - the marine equivalent of 'terremoto' - earthquake.

Remover the rock from the email address
Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

But the French HAVEN'T moved on to 'cochon'! 'porc' is a near-synonym.
A search indicates that was true in 1694. 'porceau' then as now is
a young pig.

Thanks Nick.

I think I said this when I first mentioned the word.

'un porc' - a pig.

Remover the rock from the email address

Old 06-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Kay

In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

But the French HAVEN'T moved on to 'cochon'! 'porc' is a near-synonym.
A search indicates that was true in 1694. 'porceau' then as now is
a young pig.

Thanks Nick.

I think I said this when I first mentioned the word.

'un porc' - a pig.

You didn't - you just mentioned 'un porc' but didn't say whether it was
the pig or the meat ... 'cos I asked you that question in the next post
;-)

--
Kay

Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Klara

In message , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , Klara
wrote:

in Spanish papers I saw 'maremoto' which is, I
think, tidal wave;

"Seaquake" - the marine equivalent of 'terremoto' - earthquake.

Ah - that makes sense! Thanks.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Stuart

And what's more, if an asteroid the size of Africa hits us we'll all be
killed........and what's more if we all wait long enough we're all going
die anyway.

There are no asteroids that size. The largest is Ceres, which is about
1000km in diameter.

Regards,

Stuart

Old 07-01-2005, 01:35 AM
JeffC

(remove the troll to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1104838745.68a636cbd747e5fb5e2516c27b1790a8@t eranews...
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:25:36 +0000, Lazarus Cooke wrote:

We have a term for it too Tidal Wave.

That's the trouble. It was misleading. A tsunami has nothing at all to
do with tides, and that's why they changed it.

I accept that "tidal wave" is in common use to describe big waves of any
nature. But it still does not alter the fact that it is incorrect in the
case of this appalling disaster.

In the absence of an alternative word, then I would accept "tidal wave" as a
description, but in view of the fact there is a local word for the phenomena
a "tsunami" then I prefer to use that instead.

Modern dictionaries now make a distinction between the two;

tide1 těd,

noun ebb and flow, especially of the sea twice daily, caused by the
gravitational pull of the sun and moon; a time of ebbing, of flowing, or
both; a sudden access or flood of feeling, etc; a time or season (archaic or
poetic); a festival (archaic or poetic); opportunity (archaic); a trend;
sea-water (poetic); a flow; a river, river water, or current (poetic);
floodtide.

combining form (archaic or poetic) denoting a time or season (usually
attached to a church festival, as in Christmas-tide, Easter-tide).

verb transitive (especially figurative) to carry by, or as if by, the tide;
to effect by means of the tide.

verb intransitive to run like the tides; to make one's way by taking
advantage of the tides, to be carried by the tide (also verb transitive with
it).

tid'al adjective of, depending on or regulated by the tide; flowing and
ebbing.

tide'less adjective.

tidal flow the regulated movement of traffic in both directions along a
multi-laned road, the numbers of lanes for travel in each direction being
governed by the amount of traffic travelling in that direction.

tidal power (the generation of electricity by harnessing) the energy of
tidal flows.

tidal wave a huge wave caused by the tides; improperly, a huge wave started
by an earthquake and running on with its own momentum (see tsunami);
a widespread demonstration of public opinion, feeling, etc; the tidewave.
c) Larousse plc. All rights reserved

At least it indicates that it's a wave, whereas the word "tsunami" tells
the uninitiated naff-all.
Do you object to the name "slow worm"? Or toadstool? (to add the gardening
topic).

--
Tim C.

It is you that doesn't seem to want to accept the word "tsunami" on the
basis that it is (1) not an English word and (2) that it is not descriptive
of its meaning, therefore maybe karate, karaoke and kamikaze are words you
would not use either? In the English literal sense they don't mean anything,
yet most people know the meaning of the words. I have no objection to any
words that are literally incorrect nor any objection to new words whether
foreign or man made, such as "yuppie" and "googling" coming into use in the
English language.

Maybe you should consider taking up German as a language as this is a very
descriptive language. For instance a ladies bra becomes "a bust holder" a
submarine is called an "under-sea boat", air war is "Luftwaffe" and a people
carrier is "Volkswagen" etc etc. quite a literal language really!

Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

Do I get a grade for this? ;-) Poult (according to the same dictionary)
is the young of domestic fowl and game birds XV. Middle English, pult,
contr. of poulet PULLET So (arch.) poulter Old French pouletier extended
to poulterer XVII prob. After poultry, earlier pulletrie etc.

Interesting!

I hardly dare ask you this ... but what is the derivation of 'venison'?
And 'veal'? Are there any other meats which aren't simply called by the
name of the animal? I won't start on the bits of animal - why 'lights'
for example?
--
Kay

Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered User

[quote=Kay]

I'll look into it, thanks.

....... What s??

Sorry, just being slow (as always) and I'm not really a computer person.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered User

And what is more, where possible, instead of inventing new words, they simply get their existing words and stick them all together, so you get trully monsterous things and have so many letters in them it is almost obscene!*

Taking exsisting words and adapting/modernising them..... I like that.

* - the 47 letter word we were shown at school, I can't remember what it is now, that basically means:
The Referee of the last big international football match.

Talk about sticking everything together!

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM