Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

[snip]

The meat has the name of the animal in the language of the

conquering
classes who ate it, while the animal retains the language of the
conquered who grew it.

At least it works for boeuf and mouton, but I'm not sure where pork
comes from - the latin? - is it the modern french that has moved

away?

And when did you last see a piece of mutton for sale, or offered on a
menu?

We had some 12 days ago. It has been relegalised.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

[snip]

The meat has the name of the animal in the language of the

conquering
classes who ate it, while the animal retains the language of the
conquered who grew it.

At least it works for boeuf and mouton, but I'm not sure where pork
comes from - the latin? - is it the modern french that has moved

away?

And when did you last see a piece of mutton for sale, or offered on a
menu?

We buy mutton at least twice a month :-)
--
Kay

Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Sacha

On 8/1/05 19:18, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

[snip]

The meat has the name of the animal in the language of the

conquering
classes who ate it, while the animal retains the language of the
conquered who grew it.

At least it works for boeuf and mouton, but I'm not sure where pork
comes from - the latin? - is it the modern french that has moved

away?

And when did you last see a piece of mutton for sale, or offered on a
menu?

Franz

Frequently at our butcher but not on a menu, no.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Stuart" wrote in message
A tidal wave is something completely
different to a tsunami, but a lot of people don't seem to realise

this.

For the last time, it is not.

Get hold of a dictionary and look up the meaning.

Maybe its a common use of it, but its not correct, as those of us

with
degrees in geology know. It may have become an alternative name for

those
who don't know better, but the original meaning is quite different.

The geology students in my College did not do enough applied
mathematics to solve the deep water equations

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Stuart" wrote in message
k...
When did everybody start calling a tidal wave a tsunami and why?

When they learnt the difference. A tidal wave is something

completely
different to a tsunami, but a lot of people don't seem to realise

this.

If you were to crack a book on hydrodynamics you will find that there
are essentially four different types of wave in an ideal non-viscous
liquid

Capillary waves
Surface waves
Deep water waves
Solitons

(actually, there are also linear combinations of the first two)

Capillary waves are what you get if you induce a wave by vibrating a
tuning fork witih one tine just touching the liquid
Surface waves are what you normally see on the surface of the ocean
before they break near the shore. That includes the so-called "Giant
waves". These are simply distinguished by having a very large
amplitude of oscillation. In both those types of wave any "piece" of
water moves vertically up and down.
In the case of a deep water wave, any *piece" of water executes a
circular motion, with the diameter of the circle equal to the depth of
the water.
Both tidal waves and tsunamis are synonyms for deep water waves.
In the open ocean with a constant depth, a deep water wave is
essentially harmless and may pass practically unnoticed. It only
becomes dangerous when it meets a sloping ocean floor, so that the
nornal circular motion can no longer be accomodated. It is at that
stage that it begins to "suck" in water ahead of it and begins to pile
up in height.

Solitons are peculiar beasts in which certain specifically-shaped
transient surface disturbances can move unchanged in shape.

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 3/1/05 11:30, in article ,

"Cerumen"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:09:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"

wrote:

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to

fall
off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will

wipe
out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Apparently a tsunami hit the west coast of Ireland in 1775 ?

after
seismic event near the Azores and Canaries causing some

considerable
damage..

A recent article I read somewhere said that if the predicted bit

of
La Palma
falls off in one slab the resulting tsunami will lead to the

disappearance
of the Isles of Scilly (among other damage!)

As well as New York

Franz

Lots of people have said that, but it seems unlikely.

I am afraid that if the whole chunk og rock comes adrift in one go, it
is a dead cert. It is only a matter of when.

To create a tsunami
requires a high energy shock wave,

No. That is not so. Any large, localised disturbance will do the
trick.

a bit of land falling in would, however
large not be moving fast enough for the damage to be transmitted any
distance, although there would certainly be a large wave locally

much as
when large icebergs break off.

I would rather listen to the physicists who have done the
calculations. They actually do know the magnitude of the wave which
would occur if the whole cracked chunk of rock fell into the ocean in
one go.
In a deep ocean with a flat bottom, a tsunami is actually a relatively
slow, stately occurrence. All hell begins to break loose when it
reaches a sloping shoreline.

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Dave" wrote in message
A recent article I read somewhere said that if the predicted

bit of
La Palma
falls off in one slab the resulting tsunami will lead to the
disappearance
of the Isles of Scilly (among other damage!)

Charlie Pridham writes

Lots of people have said that, but it seems unlikely. To create a

tsunami
requires a high energy shock wave, a bit of land falling in

would,
however
large not be moving fast enough for the damage to be transmitted

any
distance, although there would certainly be a large wave locally

much as
when large icebergs break off.

I think you confuse speed with energy. If you drop a very very

large
mass (say 5000 million tons) a few hundred feet (and I think in

the case
of the canaries it drops a long way down to the ocean floor) then

the
*energy* released is converted into a (relatively) smaller mass of

water
travelling *very* fast. I don't know what the conversion factor is

but
say 1% of the mass travelling at say 20 times the speed would

still be
quite significant.
--
David

I may be wrong but I am not confused! :~) once the rock mass was in

the
water the effect would be slight however far it falls, it can after

all only
fall and accelerate at 9.81m/s2 .

That is quite wrong. The rock hits the water quite fast, with a large
amount of energy. As it sinks in the water, it gives its enrergy to
the water, spreadover a large range in depths. These are just what is
neded to excite a deep water wave.

and I still think you would be hard
pressed to even detect it in New York

You could not be more wrong on this issue if you tried.
Please desist from making qualitative speculations from the side
lines. As has been said before, there are actually model experiments
being performed under conditions where the scaling laws are known.
The results from those are more important than your wishful thinking.

were it to happen, (a similar sized
lump arriving from space would be travelling at a much higher speed

and
would indeed cause allsorts of problems were it to hit ocean).

The movement
of a tectonic plate can in some instances be at very high speed

coupled with
the total mass on the move gives a huge amount more energy and even

then not
all underwater quakes produces these waves.

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"goldfinch" wrote in message

Not under our wonderful new legislation. No, it is much

closer to
home.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
---------------
OK. I have been wondering what you meant, Nick, and hoping that

someone
else
would ask ;-)

Then today on the news we hear that our insane government had

plans to
blow
up the channel tunnel with a nuclear bomb if the Russians were

to try
and
invade us. The resulting massive waves would devastate most of

the S.E.
coastal area. We only know this now because of the freedom of

information
act.

No they didnt.

Do you write newspaper headlines as well?Or just read the daily

mail?

(translating 'some officials considered a bomb but it was never

implemented'
into 'government had plans to swamp SE with massive waves'.)

Not that there would have been any 'massive waves' anyway, maybe

a small
ripple. (raspberry?)

--
Tumbleweed

-------------
I heard it on the BBC 1 news at 6 pm today. Obviously it was

never
implemented ;-)

Probably more than a ripple though, being close enough to the

shore even
if
it was in the middle of the channel.

Not if it was going to make the tunnel unusable for only 3 years.
And the middle of the channel is 10 miles from the shore.
They had tests in the nevada desert *much* nearer than that from las

vegas
in the 50's, not even a tremor felt in LV.

The chunnel is ideally situated for being the origin of a particularly
vicious deep water wave.
The Nevada desert has no water.

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Douglas

Douglas.1i[color=blue][i]
writes

Kay Wrote:
In article
,
writes
Douglas, I don't know what you are posting with,
*****
A computer? ;-)
*****
but you must notice
that it's impossible to identify your part of the text when you

reply
to posts?

I'm slow here to get the hang of things, but I usually show my

reply by
warking it with stars.

I tend to reply to bits of the message individually instead of

saying
it all at the end.

i'm sure I will improve eventually.

Hey! Not one single bit of what you quoted was written by me,

despite
the attribution!

You're absolutely right to reply to each bit individually - that's

the
convention in this newsgroup, and makes it a lot easier to follow

the
argument than with the top posting convention generally used in

business
emails.

If you were posting here directly instead of via garden banter, you
would be using a newsreader program. I use Turnpike (as do many

others)
and when I hit 'reply' it automatically inserts '' before each line

of
the text I am replying to (with more ''s for each successive

previous
poster) - Therefore the number of ''s at the beginning of the line
tells you which person said what. This is a general newsgroup

convention
and is what allows us to see who said what when we're all

interleaving
replies.

In addition, when I read a post, Turnpike displays all text with a

''
in red and just the last author's contribution, with no '', in

black.

So when your posts turn up with '' at the beginning of each line,

they
are displayed in red. It's compounded by the fact your posts have

the
same number of '' as the previous poster - so, as was said above,

it is
totally impossible to identify your contribution ... or was, until

you
explained your personal convention of using stars.

I don't know how gardenbanter works, but other people seem to have
managed to suss out how to get the ''s working - perhaps you could

ask
in gardenbanter how they do it?

Or, why use gardenbanter at all? why not subscribe to urg directly
like the vast majority of urglers?

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1104832182.7eab743324810ae0059abdfe5cb57dda@t eranews...
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:28:29 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:53:00 +0100, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:40:51 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

They say when it goes, that will be the end of New
York.

I believe that if that is the case, 'something' would have been

done by now
if 'any time now' relates to this year!!

And what would you suggest that "they" do? Get a couple of big

sticks and
prop it up? You'd need a lot of string and blu-tac to hold back

500
billion
tons of rock.

Don't let science ruin a good discussion, that's Franz's job. :-)

{:-))

I would recommend that they start making plans for evacuating New
York. They wil have around 10 hours warning. Perhaps theyhave
already made plans, but can't make them public because of the

grand
panic which would follow immediately after the announcement.

Franz

Thanks Franz, knew we could rely on you ;-)

Glad to be of service.
{:-))

Franz
--
Tim C.

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM