Old 02-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Paul Nutteing

"Mike" wrote in message
, but should that happen then London would be devastated, and hence
the whole country bankrupted,

and don't you think that contingency plans are not in place?

Do you think that everything is just nice and cosy and all tied up in

London
and that if/when something happens it will be a case of 'Don't panic Mr
Mainwairing' and everyone will be running around like headless chickens?

Fear not, emergency plans are already drawn up and ready for such an
emergency. 24 hours or less and everything will be up and running . . . .

..
. . . . . . . out of London of course. When I was with the GPO in the
Midlands, one of the places was Royal Leamington Spa as the main HQ and

when
I was transferred to the Isle of Wight, I was actually working on the
emergency planning side of the telephone system and you would be rather
surprised at where one of the units on the Island was!! AND who were going
to be involved and 'protected' in the case of a Nuke attack!!

OK that was in the 60's and 70's, but I am quite certain the plans are

still
in place. only a more modern set!!

Mike

A lot depends on psychology - if some official
ignores it then the chain stops there.
How long was it before fighter/interceptor
planes were launched on 9/11 ?No conspiracy -
just someone not believing what
they were hearing.

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles
and what Special Branch don't want you to know.
http://www.nutteing.50megs.com/dnapr.htm
or nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email (remove 4 of the 5 dots)
Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message -
it is defunct due to spam.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:38:21 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

Anyone without a stout pair of Wellington boots.

Depending where you live, it might be thigh boots :-))

Think I'll go for razor wire, a few shot guns and lots of ammo. If a
tsunami gets us then there isn't going to be much left of Europe let
alone the UK.

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 PM
mrmalins

"Charlie" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
Oh no! something else to be frightened about!

Where do you differentiate between "frightened of" and "aware of" ?

It's pretty old news regurgitated.

I wonder where you differentiate between being someone being serious and
someone having a laugh

Charlie

--
www.peartreegreen.org

No point in bothering about the garden anymore then ? suppose we could make
a water feature of it. john .m

Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike" wrote ...

The nearest tectonic plates

not talking plate movement, but big chucks of rock.

Falling from the sky or falling off the Canaries in one lump?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:55:52 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

not talking plate movement, but big chucks of rock.

Falling from the sky or falling off the Canaries in one lump?

Both.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 03-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Registered User

If a
tsunami gets us then there isn't going to be much left of Europe let
alone the UK.

..... At least the plants will get wattered ;-)

I'm getting back on topic again, I apologise.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:39 AM
gp

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Atlantic City - no harm there
Philadelphia - ditto
New York - a tragedy
Old 03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Mike

not talking plate movement, but big chucks of rock.

Falling from the sky or falling off the Canaries in one lump?

--

The latter

Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:58:51 +0000, Douglas wrote:

..... At least the plants will get wattered ;-)

Lack of rain isn't normally a problem up here either, Jul to Dec 2004
inches per month: 2, 9, 3, 6, 3, 4.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 03-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Cerumen

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:09:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Apparently a tsunami hit the west coast of Ireland in 1775 ? after a
seismic event near the Azores and Canaries causing some considerable
damage..

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
June Hughes

In message , Cerumen
writes

.. .
wrote:

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Apparently a tsunami hit the west coast of Ireland in 1775 ? after a
seismic event near the Azores and Canaries causing some considerable
damage..

I believe that was the earthquake and tsunami that wiped out Lisbon.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:09:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
"Mike" wrote ...
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who
will
it effect?

The nearest tectonic plates to us are in the N.Atlantic and are divergent
boundaries causing the N.Atlantic Ridge, because these plates are pulling
apart there is little chance of a tsunami being caused. The plate boundaries
in S E Asia are convergent which is why they suddenly moved 100 ft over one
another, when they overcame the friction between themselves, causing the
waves.
I would be more worried about the effects of the change in the earths
rotation caused by this earthquake.

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

You may be right that divergent plates will cause less of a shock wave
than convergent ones, but I should be flabberghasted if they couldn't
cause enough of one to cause trouble, given the shallowing and focussing
of the Channel. Without doing some precise modelling, I can't say what
effects that would have on the UK, but it is relatively unlikely to be a
major event. Probably not more than 100,000 dead.

However, it is NOT true that the UK is safe from earthquakes. There
have been some Richter 5+ events on the mainland (including one that
killed two people, our only deaths), but there has been a Richter 6.0
under the Dogger bank. If that occurred under London, the carnage
could be immense, and it is not completely impossible. But it is
pretty unlikely.

However, the most likely cause of water-borne carnage is a certainty
in the next century or so, but our wonderful government is attempting
(and failing) to hide it using terrorism legislation. Probably so
that they can say "But we couldn't POSSIBLY have known" and the
resulting enquiry will acquit them of all negligence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Mike wrote:
, but should that happen then London would be devastated, and hence
the whole country bankrupted,

and don't you think that contingency plans are not in place?

I know that they aren't. They were a bit ricketty when the Blessed
Margaret took over, so she abolished the mechanism for maintaining
them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM