Old 04-01-2005, 08:51 AM
BAC

"Douglas" wrote in message
news

June Hughes Wrote:
In message
When did everybody start calling a tidal wave a tsunami and why?

I had never heard of one until there was a programme on TV
around a year or so ago.
--
June Hughes

Weather bosses decided that it needed a more up to date image and
rebranding ............??

Could be they were looking for a short, snappy and memorable name for an
unusually large ocean wave caused by an undersea earthquake. The japanese
have a name for such waves, perhaps because they live on islands in an area
of frequent earthquake activity, so it probably made sense to adopt the
term.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM
BAC

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:16:07 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 3/1/05 11:30, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:09:33 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall

off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe

out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Apparently a tsunami hit the west coast of Ireland in 1775 ? after

seismic event near the Azores and Canaries causing some

considerable
damage..

A recent article I read somewhere said that if the predicted bit of

La Palma
falls off in one slab the resulting tsunami will lead to the

disappearance
of the Isles of Scilly (among other damage!)

As well as New York

We'll miss the Scillies but NY?

Let us hope no terrorist group discovers a means of triggering the landslide

Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM
BAC

"Douglas" wrote in message
news

Tim Challenger Wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:40:51 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

And what would you suggest that "they" do? Get a couple of big sticks
and
prop it up? You'd need a lot of string and blu-tac to hold back 500
billion
tons of rock.

Tim C.

Don't be so silly!

What you need is one giant elastic band, placed round the island to
hold it together.
Then you can start to superglue it.

Or you could build a giant sea wall/dam around the island and pump out all
the water so there's no giant splash if/when the chunk falls off :-)

Old 04-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

The main risk is the big piece of rock which is expected to fall

off
an island in the Canaries, generate a tidal wave that will wipe

out
the East Coats of the USA and not do a lot of good to the low
countries.

Apparently a tsunami hit the west coast of Ireland in 1775 ? after

seismic event near the Azores and Canaries causing some

considerable
damage..

A recent article I read somewhere said that if the predicted bit of

La Palma
falls off in one slab the resulting tsunami will lead to the

disappearance
of the Isles of Scilly (among other damage!)

As well as New York

Franz

Lots of people have said that, but it seems unlikely. To create a tsunami
requires a high energy shock wave, a bit of land falling in would, however
large not be moving fast enough for the damage to be transmitted any
distance, although there would certainly be a large wave locally much as
when large icebergs break off.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:28:29 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:53:00 +0100, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:40:51 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

They say when it goes, that will be the end of New
York.

I believe that if that is the case, 'something' would have been

done by now
if 'any time now' relates to this year!!

And what would you suggest that "they" do? Get a couple of big

sticks and
prop it up? You'd need a lot of string and blu-tac to hold back 500

billion
tons of rock.

Don't let science ruin a good discussion, that's Franz's job. :-)

{:-))

I would recommend that they start making plans for evacuating New
York. They wil have around 10 hours warning. Perhaps theyhave
already made plans, but can't make them public because of the grand
panic which would follow immediately after the announcement.

Franz

Thanks Franz, knew we could rely on you ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:09:34 -0000, BAC wrote:

"Douglas" wrote in message
news

Tim Challenger Wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:40:51 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

And what would you suggest that "they" do? Get a couple of big sticks
and
prop it up? You'd need a lot of string and blu-tac to hold back 500
billion
tons of rock.

Tim C.

Don't be so silly!

What you need is one giant elastic band, placed round the island to
hold it together.
Then you can start to superglue it.

Or you could build a giant sea wall/dam around the island and pump out all
the water so there's no giant splash if/when the chunk falls off :-)

I like that idea. Imagine the size of the beaches they'd get!
--
Tim C.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:55 AM

Charlie wrote:
To create a tsunami requires a high energy shock wave,
a bit of land falling in would, however large not be moving
fast enough for the damage to be transmitted any
distance

This is contentious. Have you read
http://www.benfieldhrc.org/CentreNew...es/tsunami.htm or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon...anscript.shtml

More recent suggestions that it would break up before falling, and
"only" cause a wave 2 to 3m high have been made:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3963563.stm . That page has links
to sites that support and oppose the original tale.
It boils down to "we can't know the future".

Old 04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
BAC

wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:51:03 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"Douglas" wrote in message
news

June Hughes Wrote:
In message
When did everybody start calling a tidal wave a tsunami and why?

I had never heard of one until there was a programme on TV
around a year or so ago.
--
June Hughes

Weather bosses decided that it needed a more up to date image and
rebranding ............??

Could be they were looking for a short, snappy and memorable name for an
unusually large ocean wave caused by an undersea earthquake. The japanese
have a name for such waves, perhaps because they live on islands in an

area
of frequent earthquake activity, so it probably made sense to adopt the
term.

We have a term for it too Tidal Wave.

True, however our language is peppered with words of 'foreign' origin,
adopted for one reason or another, it's one way it evolves.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Lazarus Cooke

We have a term for it too Tidal Wave.

That's the trouble. It was misleading. A tsunami has nothing at all to
do with tides, and that's why they changed it.

Remover the rock from the email address
Old 04-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:25:36 +0000, Lazarus Cooke wrote:

We have a term for it too Tidal Wave.

That's the trouble. It was misleading. A tsunami has nothing at all to
do with tides, and that's why they changed it.

At least it indicates that it's a wave, whereas the word "tsunami" tells
the uninitiated naff-all.
Do you object to the name "slow worm"? Or toadstool? (to add the gardening
topic).

--
Tim C.

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM