Old 02-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Mike

Default Tsunami preparedness in the UK ?

What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who will
it effect?

I am about 50 metres inland from the Cliff Walk between Sandown and Shanklin
on the Isle of Wight and about 50 metres above sea level. But the Island
could very well become 3 Islands again.

Mike, on the Isle(s) of Wight?

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
"Paul Nutteing" wrote in message
news:984eea129a9b68ab29a6084d6d0b3635.111419@mygat e.mailgate.org...
I cannot find reference to a warning procedure for the UK
concerning following or similar event
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...279710,00.html
Tuesday August 10, 2004
... Bill McGuire, the director of the Benfield Grieg Hazard Research
Centre at University College London, said a huge chunk of rock, roughly
the size of the Isle of Man, was on the brink of breaking off the
volcanic island of La Palma in the Canaries.
When - Professor McGuire says it is not a matter of if - the rock
plunges into the ocean it will trigger giant waves called mega-tsunamis.
Travelling at speeds of up to 560mph, the huge walls of water will tear
across the ocean and hit islands and continents, leaving a trail of
destruction.
Mega-tsunami waves are much longer than the ones we are used to.
"When one of these comes in, it keeps on coming for 10 to 15 minutes,"
Prof McGuire said.
"It's like a huge wall of water that just keeps coming."
Computer models of the island's collapse show the first regions to be
hit, with waves topping 100 metres (330ft), will be the neighbouring
Canary Islands. Within a few hours the west coast of Africa will be
battered with similar-sized waves.
Between nine and 12 hours after the island collapses, waves between 20
and 50 metres high will have crossed 4,000 miles of ocean to crash into
the Caribbean islands and the eastern seaboard of the US and Canada.
The worst-hit will be harbours and estuaries, which will channel the
waves inland. The loss of life and destruction to property will probably
be immense, according to Prof McGuire.
Britain would not escape entirely, he added. Waves of around 10 metres
are likely to strike the south coast four to five hours after the island
collapses, causing damage to seaside resorts and ports. ...

I am a "flood warden" for our area - grandiose term for
just being at the receiving end of computer generated Environment
Agency message
to pass on tho others in the locale.
Only in theory as phone link was checked when I
voluntered about 4 years ago and I could easily have
changed address or phone number since.
And no mention on the EA site that this river and sea flood
warning system would be activated in a La Palma
or mid-Atlantic ridge sub-sea earthquake event
Buried on their site on a PDF file

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...arden_661682.p
df
Flood Wardens
... They consist of nominated
volunteers who receive
direct flood warnings from
the Agency and pass these
on to their neighbours. The number of flood wardens will
depend on the size of the community and may be operated
by a single individual.
Each flood warden will have a certain area that he/she will
look after and by working together with the Environment
Agency ensure their community is prepared for flooding. ...

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles
and what Special Branch don't want you to know.
http://www.nutteing.50megs.com/dnapr.htm
or nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email (remove 4 of the 5 dots)
Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message -
it is defunct due to spam.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike
writes
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who will
it effect?

In North Lincolnshire we are often told that we shall be under sea-water
within 50-100 years due to global warming. Who needs a tsunami?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike" wrote ...
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who
will
it effect?

The nearest tectonic plates to us are in the N.Atlantic and are divergent
boundaries causing the N.Atlantic Ridge, because these plates are pulling
apart there is little chance of a tsunami being caused. The plate boundaries
in S E Asia are convergent which is why they suddenly moved 100 ft over one
another, when they overcame the friction between themselves, causing the
waves.
I would be more worried about the effects of the change in the earths
rotation caused by this earthquake.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message ...
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who will
it effect?

I am about 50 metres inland from the Cliff Walk between Sandown and Shanklin
on the Isle of Wight and about 50 metres above sea level. But the Island
could very well become 3 Islands again.

Mike, on the Isle(s) of Wight?

I live 6 metres below sea level..................lets hope the polar ice stays
where it is (and frozen!)
Jenny

Old 02-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Mike

The nearest tectonic plates

not talking plate movement, but big chucks of rock.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Registered User

If the Clyde or ice doesn't get me, then a terrorist attack on Faslane probably will.........

Great, eh?
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Brian Watson

"Mike" wrote in message
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who
will
it effect?

Anyone without a stout pair of Wellington boots.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Brian Watson

"Mike" wrote in message

The nearest tectonic plates

not talking plate movement, but big chucks of rock.

Rock has been blamed for all society's ills since 1953.

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Mike

Oh no! something else to be frightened about!

Where do you differentiate between "frightened of" and "aware of" ?

Old 02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Broadback

Mike wrote:

Oh no! something else to be frightened about!

Where do you differentiate between "frightened of" and "aware of" ?

The chance of a Tsunami in this country is remote. What is of far more
concern is a huge storm as happened in the 50s, affecting the South
coast. It is entirely feasible that the Thames barrier could be
breached. I know there are many who think they have too much down
there, but should that happen then London would be devastated, and hence
the whole country bankrupted, the income from the city would be lost.
Why everything needs to be based there puzzles me, even 99% of broadband
is there.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Paul Nutteing

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Oh no! something else to be frightened about!

Where do you differentiate between "frightened of" and "aware of" ?

The chance of a Tsunami in this country is remote. What is of far more
concern is a huge storm as happened in the 50s, affecting the South
coast. It is entirely feasible that the Thames barrier could be
breached. I know there are many who think they have too much down
there, but should that happen then London would be devastated, and hence
the whole country bankrupted, the income from the city would be lost.
Why everything needs to be based there puzzles me, even 99% of broadband
is there.

In historical times the Great Channel Storm
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/...96_history.htm
'The worst storm in recorded history was probably the Great Channel Storm of
26 November 1703 which is estimated to have killed 8,000 people in England.
Over a period of eight hours at Brighton a number of houses were demolished
or lost their roofs, the town windmills were flattened, several boats and
crews were lost, and the lead was ripped from the roof of the parish church.
Did the Chessil Bank appear and Bramble Island in the Solent become
the Bramble Bank in the same storm ?

Old 02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Mike

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
What are the views of those on uk.rec.gardening if it happens, and who
will
it effect?

Anyone without a stout pair of Wellington boots.

Depending where you live, it might be thigh boots :-))

Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Mike

, but should that happen then London would be devastated, and hence
the whole country bankrupted,

and don't you think that contingency plans are not in place?

Do you think that everything is just nice and cosy and all tied up in London
and that if/when something happens it will be a case of 'Don't panic Mr
Mainwairing' and everyone will be running around like headless chickens?

Fear not, emergency plans are already drawn up and ready for such an
emergency. 24 hours or less and everything will be up and running . . . . .
.. . . . . . . out of London of course. When I was with the GPO in the
Midlands, one of the places was Royal Leamington Spa as the main HQ and when
I was transferred to the Isle of Wight, I was actually working on the
emergency planning side of the telephone system and you would be rather
surprised at where one of the units on the Island was!! AND who were going
to be involved and 'protected' in the case of a Nuke attack!!

OK that was in the 60's and 70's, but I am quite certain the plans are still
in place. only a more modern set!!

Mike

Old 02-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Charlie

Mike wrote:
Oh no! something else to be frightened about!

Where do you differentiate between "frightened of" and "aware of" ?

It's pretty old news regurgitated.

I wonder where you differentiate between being someone being serious
and someone having a laugh

Charlie

--
www.peartreegreen.org
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
DZ-015

"Huge" wrote in message

and don't you think that contingency plans are not in place?

No.

What about Bedford? Have they nicked the sandbags from around the temporary
road signs yet?

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM