GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green slimey path ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/88315-green-slimey-path.html)

Mike 03-01-2005 02:37 PM

Green slimey path !

I have a north facing path, which this year has become very green and
slippy. Having no pressure washer ...... has anyone got any cheap ideas
how to kill this stuff?

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email

Phil L 03-01-2005 03:03 PM

Mike wrote:
:: I have a north facing path, which this year has become very green
:: and slippy. Having no pressure washer ...... has anyone got any
:: cheap ideas how to kill this stuff?

Alkaline and a stiff brush...the alkaline can be anything you want, so long
as it isn't going to harm and animal/plantlife...try washing powder, leave
to soak for ten minutes and scrub away to loosen the algy, then rinse with
the hosepipe...other alkalis are caustic soda, cement, hydrated lime etc
etc.

Nick Maclaren 03-01-2005 04:42 PM

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Mike wrote:
:: I have a north facing path, which this year has become very green
:: and slippy. Having no pressure washer ...... has anyone got any
:: cheap ideas how to kill this stuff?

Alkaline and a stiff brush...the alkaline can be anything you want, so long
as it isn't going to harm and animal/plantlife...try washing powder, leave
to soak for ten minutes and scrub away to loosen the algy, then rinse with
the hosepipe...other alkalis are caustic soda, cement, hydrated lime etc
etc.

Actually, you don't need the alkali. A handful of sharp sand and some
water is all that is needed - and even the former is optional. I add
some washing up liquid to the water, but am not sure that it helps
much. Washing powder and washing soda are probably equivalent, but
are more corrosive.

Whatever you use to kill it will wash off, and the algae will return.
So the objective is to reduce the slipperiness, and we are agreed how
to proceed. It is much easier and quicker using a stiff broom, water
and perhaps the various additives than people make out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike 04-01-2005 07:21 AM

On this great dayMon, 03 Jan 2005 14:37:40 GMT,
(Mike) wrote:

I have a north facing path, which this year has become very green and
slippy. Having no pressure washer ...... has anyone got any cheap ideas
how to kill this stuff?

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email

Thank you all ..... the exercise will be most beneficial ;-)

Eyebright 04-01-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike
has anyone got any cheap ideas
how to kill

Jeyes fluid....about 15ml (3 teaspoonfulls) per half litre of water in a sprayer...will kill but wont prevent the algae re-appearing ... so carry out a few times per year.

Chris Hogg 04-01-2005 09:56 PM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:27:43 +0000, Eyebright
wrote:

Mike Wrote:
has anyone got any cheap ideas
how to kill

Jeyes fluid....about 15ml (3 teaspoonfulls) per half litre of water in
a sprayer...will kill but wont prevent the algae re-appearing ... so
carry out a few times per year.

And the smell lasts how long? (let alone the stain!)

IIRC weak bleach is effective, but like most treatments, isn't
permanent.

--
Chris