GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Roses through Beech hedges (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8832-growing-roses-through-beech-hedges.html)

Grahame Fendle 21-11-2002 04:07 PM

Growing Roses through Beech hedges

Got a fairly mature Beech hedge across the front gardens, which I love.
It's going to get an overdue hard cut back soon, and I thought that would
be a good time to grow a nice rose through it.

White would fit nicely with the colour scheme, preferably a smallish
flower. Gardens are on clay, but prone to drying out quite hard in the
summer as the front garden is slighty elevated. Sunshine for most of the
day.

Anyone any thoughts, experiences and recommendations?

TIA

--
Grahame

Hussein M. 22-11-2002 03:30 AM

Growing Roses through Beech hedges

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:07:47 +0000, Grahame Fendle
wrote:

Got a fairly mature Beech hedge across the front gardens, which I love.
It's going to get an overdue hard cut back soon, and I thought that would
be a good time to grow a nice rose through it.

White would fit nicely with the colour scheme, preferably a smallish
flower. Gardens are on clay, but prone to drying out quite hard in the
summer as the front garden is slighty elevated. Sunshine for most of the
day.

Anyone any thoughts, experiences and recommendations?

I posted this to someone else after somthing similar:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
Peter Beales. RHS Gold Medal blah di blah

They have a section on roses which might suit you. Some grow to 25'
and are sufficiently shade tolerant to grow through the branches of a
larg(ish) tree. Such roses are clearly marked by a symbol.

They seem to be quite professional, only delivering when the rose is
truly ready (Bare rooted in my case). As a way to shop for a rose it
certainly beats examining labels in a garden centre. For your purposes
(if the tree is still growing) go to:
SECTION TWO -CLASSIC CLIMBERS, RAMBLERS AND SCRAMBLERS

It is also a very well crafted web site and you can search on the
criteria of height and colour.
Respect

Hussein

Grahame Fendle 25-11-2002 05:07 PM

Growing Roses through Beech hedges

Hussein M. wrote:

Apologies for the tardiness of my response, PC problems.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/

Excellent, have ordered a catalogue. There's some lovely stuff there, thaks
for the link.

Grahame Fendle 25-11-2002 05:07 PM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Apologies for the tardiness of my response, PC problems.

There are lots to choose from, my first choice would be 'Alberic Barbier'

Interestingly, this was the first to catch my eye in the David Austen
catalogue. Given earlier remarks, I'm still thinking about this one. Would
be a shame to waste such stunning roses.