GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help a new gardener (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8845-help-new-gardener.html)

miklol 23-11-2002 11:25 AM

help a new gardener

I have just aquired and cleared a garden and my wife would like some spring
onions,shallots,radish and tomatoes next year.
Would be grateful for any advice on any or all of these please.

Sue & Bob Hobden 23-11-2002 04:39 PM

help a new gardener

"miklol" wrote in message
I have just aquired and cleared a garden and my wife would like some

spring
onions,shallots,radish and tomatoes next year.
Would be grateful for any advice on any or all of these please.

It's too late to plant any of those now, there are autumn planted onions and
shallots but it's too late to plant now even if you could find any.
If you're in the southern half of the country (later up North). In late
February/early March you could plant your Shallots, Jermor are good for
cooking, others better for pickling. Spring Onions can be sown then too, if
the grounds good enough to draw a drill, as you can your Raddishes. However
raddishes are a brassica and do suffer from Flea Beetle if it's a problem in
your area, it is here. Derris dust will keep it at bay.
Tomatoes outside are OK but they crop late, at the end of summer, they are
tastier than glass grown (I think, awaits the shouts) but do suffer from
Blight just as they are about to crop if you don't prevent it with a spray
of Bordeaux Mixture every two weeks. Blight will kill the plant within a few
days.
Either buy plants or grow from seed yourself which will give you more
choice. For cooking I recommend "Brigade", and a good normal Tom is
"Pannovy". We grow both outside with good success.
Have a look at Marshalls for seeds, www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/ or better
still order a brochure.
--
Bob