GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Problem lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8847-problem-lawn.html)

Peter 23-11-2002 01:41 PM

Problem lawn

I have a tiny 10ft by 10ft lawn in a garden which is theoretically south
facing but which in winter gets no sun at all because of being very near the
house.

This little lawn therefore is not much good for growing grass but grows some
fine goldeny moss :)

I don't want concrete or gravel but is there some other solution?

Thanks

Peter

Bevan Price 23-11-2002 08:36 PM

Problem lawn

"Peter" wrote in message
I have a tiny 10ft by 10ft lawn in a garden which is theoretically south
facing but which in winter gets no sun at all because of being very near

the
house.

This little lawn therefore is not much good for growing grass but grows

some
fine goldeny moss :)

I don't want concrete or gravel but is there some other solution?

Thanks

Peter

You can you a moss killer such as iron sulphate, but unless you improve the
drainage, moss will return within a few weeks.
Drainage can be improved by raking out moss and dead grass regularly, and
then using a fork to "spike" holes in the turf. Or you can take the easy
option and get used to looking at a mossy lawn - if we ever get another hot
dry summer, the moss can be the only green colour in a lawn.

Bevan

Rod 23-11-2002 08:47 PM

Problem lawn

"Peter" wrote in message
I have a tiny 10ft by 10ft lawn in a garden which is theoretically south
facing but which in winter gets no sun at all because of being very near

the
house.

This little lawn therefore is not much good for growing grass but grows

some
fine goldeny moss :)

I don't want concrete or gravel but is there some other solution?

Thanks

Peter

Just grow anything but grass - a bit of imagination is called for but you
could end up with something much more rewarding than a miserable little
lawn.

Rod

Steve Harris 24-11-2002 04:41 PM

Problem lawn

In article ,
(Rod) wrote:

Just grow anything but grass

You were thinking of a Leylandii lawn perhaps? :-)

Rod 24-11-2002 05:57 PM

Problem lawn

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Rod) wrote:

Just grow anything but grass

You were thinking of a Leylandii lawn perhaps? :-)

I said it needed a bit of imagination - *not that much* ;~}}}

Rod