Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
ashnook

Default Growing coriander - any success stories/

I want to grow coriander for cullinary use (leaves in currys, salads etc.)
but people tell me it is difficult to grow and bolts easily. I have a
greenhouse and conservetory.

Can I start some off now in pots on the conservetory and then as spring
arrives also in the greenhouse? I am thinking about fairly thick sowing in
large-ish pots. How often to sow for a succession?

Any suggestions or success stories?

--
Brian
www.ashnookplants.co.uk

Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Mike Lyle

ashnook wrote:
I want to grow coriander for cullinary use (leaves in currys,

salads
etc.) but people tell me it is difficult to grow and bolts easily.

have a greenhouse and conservetory.

Can I start some off now in pots on the conservetory and then as
spring arrives also in the greenhouse? I am thinking about fairly
thick sowing in large-ish pots. How often to sow for a succession?

Any suggestions or success stories?

It's easy as long as you a) buy the correct variety (traditional
English kind produces seed at the expense of leaves: look for
"Cilantro" or another variety stated on the packet to be for
leaf-production), and b) sow small quantities in succession -- I'd do
a batch once a fortnight.

I find that, like other things, it'll run to seed if you don't water
enough. Last year I had trouble with mould on some which weren't well
enough lit and watered.

Mike.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Bob Hobden

Brian wrote
I want to grow coriander for cullinary use (leaves in currys, salads etc.)
but people tell me it is difficult to grow and bolts easily. I have a
greenhouse and conservetory.

Can I start some off now in pots on the conservetory and then as spring
arrives also in the greenhouse? I am thinking about fairly thick sowing in
large-ish pots. How often to sow for a succession?

Any suggestions or success stories?

As others will confirm it does "bolt" to seed even if you get the "seeds for
leaf" so the answer is to sow some every couple of weeks, just keep it
watered and it's easy to grow. The seeds can be harvested for use as a spice
anyway or for sowing again.
We grow it out on the allotments, and some of the best we have had has been
self sown, coming up like a weed amongst the other plants, and for some
strange reason that seems to take longer to bolt. (or is it just me)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Brian wrote
I want to grow coriander for cullinary use (leaves in currys, salads etc.)
but people tell me it is difficult to grow and bolts easily. I have a
greenhouse and conservetory.

Can I start some off now in pots on the conservetory and then as spring
arrives also in the greenhouse? I am thinking about fairly thick sowing in
large-ish pots. How often to sow for a succession?

As others will confirm it does "bolt" to seed even if you get the "seeds for
leaf" so the answer is to sow some every couple of weeks, just keep it
watered and it's easy to grow. The seeds can be harvested for use as a spice
anyway or for sowing again.

Yes. I have had poor success, but Cambridge tends to oscillate between
cold (and either wet or dry) and hot and dry. Things that need hot and
wet conditions are a bit tricky. Also, I am not good at daily watering!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

who just bought a driveway torch? Sarge? and any stories yet? Clark... Lawns 1 06-01-2008 10:36 PM
My Worst Planted Aquarium Mistake (Please Contribute Stories!) Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 19 09-12-2004 04:59 AM
Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM