GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fruit Tree Supplier ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8854-fruit-tree-supplier.html)

gray 24-11-2002 09:52 AM

Fruit Tree Supplier ???

Anybody got any ideas on where I can buy bare rooted apple/pear fruit trees,
for less than £12 + p&p to the public.

Most suppliers seem to be at that price, but Aldi sometime supply limited
varities for about £5 and Homebase at £8.

I know they probably buy in bulk, and I think from Holland, but where ??

DaveDay34 24-11-2002 11:17 AM

Fruit Tree Supplier ???

Anybody got any ideas on where I can buy bare rooted apple/pear fruit trees,
for less than £12 + p&p to the public.

Most suppliers seem to be at that price, but Aldi sometime supply limited
varities for about £5 and Homebase at £8.

I know they probably buy in bulk, and I think from Holland, but where ??

If you really want to buy bare rooted plants, I'd avoid mail order. It's just
a personal view, but the only reason you can uproot, transport, and replant
bare rooted plants is because of the temperature. I wouldn't trust most
couriers, Parcel Force, etc. to keep bare rooted plants in the right conditions
during their journey to you. I'd suggest you try to find a local nursery
(rather than a garden centre) that supplies bare rooted plants to your
specifications.

Cheapest is not always best, and while I completely understand any desire to
keep costs minimal, paying a little extra sometimes pays huge dividends in the
long run. Where abouts in the UK are you? Maybe someone could suggest an
appropriate supplier in your area?

Dave.

Alan Holmes 24-11-2002 11:08 PM

Fruit Tree Supplier ???

"gray" wrote in message
Anybody got any ideas on where I can buy bare rooted apple/pear fruit

trees,
for less than £12 + p&p to the public.

Most suppliers seem to be at that price, but Aldi sometime supply limited
varities for about £5 and Homebase at £8.

Be very wary about trees from Aldi, I bought a number a few years ago and
when they started fruiting they were nothing like they were supposed to be!

Alan

anton 24-11-2002 11:18 PM

Fruit Tree Supplier ???

anton wrote in message ...

gray wrote in message 9l1E9.425$Yf7.31545@newsfep2-gui...
Anybody got any ideas on where I can buy bare rooted apple/pear fruit

trees,
for less than £12 + p&p to the public.

Most suppliers seem to be at that price, but Aldi sometime supply limited
varities for about £5 and Homebase at £8.

I know they probably buy in bulk, and I think from Holland, but where ??

Ooops. Bloomin mouse needs defurring again.

I posted some suppliers in the thread 'Kay-unusual apple varieties' If you
want cheap prices and are buying in
quantity, Ranworth trees are worth a try.

--
Anton

Steve Harris 25-11-2002 01:47 PM

Fruit Tree Supplier ???

In article ,
(Alan Holmes) wrote:

Be very wary about trees from Aldi, I bought a number a few years ago
and when they started fruiting they were nothing like they were
supposed to be!

Talking of German supermarkets, I bought some sunflower seeds from Lidl
for 29p. Most of them came up with *brown* flowers which didn't impress
me. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a guy knocked on my door asking what
cultivar those lovely "red" sunflowers were!