Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Oxymel of Squill

Default hazelnuts

Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?
cheers
Jon

Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 PM
p00kie

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?
cheers
Jon

Am guessing they're not liking the soil conditions.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:54:36 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?
cheers
Jon

I'd be interested to know too. Someone (a squirrel?) planted one on my
allotment. It's had 2 years now. How long before I can expect nuts?

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
anton

"p00kie" wrote in message
k...

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good

shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all

faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and

straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?

Am guessing they're not liking the soil conditions.

I'd guess the same- and they might be too dry. Maybe try mulching with
garden compost or something similar this year.

--
Anton

Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 PM
p00kie

wrote:

Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?
cheers
Jon

I'd be interested to know too. Someone (a squirrel?) planted one on my
allotment. It's had 2 years now. How long before I can expect nuts?

Pam in Bristol

From nut .. anywhere upward of 5 years I hear .. also two different
varieties close together helps fruiting better as the pollen is wind borne.
HTH

Old 15-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Magwitch

anton muttered:

"p00kie" wrote in message
k...

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
Anyone have any wise words on these?
I had one in London which did really well. You could give it a good

shake
and the nuts would cover the ground.
Now I'm in Wisbech, I planted 3 different varieties (labels have all

faded
of course) 4 years ago and they're not keen. Still very short and

straggly
and no signs of catkins up to last season. Do they need any special
attention?

Am guessing they're not liking the soil conditions.

I'd guess the same- and they might be too dry. Maybe try mulching with
garden compost or something similar this year.

Monty Don wrote about a _witch_ hazel that had hardly put on any growth
despite mulching, saying although he knew they liked shelter and lots of
water, he then realised they don't like too much shade, so he moved them to
a brighter but still sheltered position and they took off - they are edge of
woodland plants.

Old 15-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes
anton muttered:

"p00kie" wrote in message
k...

[...]

Although they're both plants which can grow in the shade, they are not
particularly closely related. Hazel is much more closely related to
birch and even beeches and oaks than it is to witch hazel.

--
Kay

Hazelnuts (when to harvest?) Bob G0KYF United Kingdom 4 23-08-2014 09:10 AM
HazelNuts? Connor T United Kingdom 4 10-09-2005 05:58 PM
Hazelnuts in the South Maryc Edible Gardening 7 21-06-2005 09:50 PM
Hazelnuts abner Gardening 1 06-09-2004 08:43 PM
hazelnuts form seed sasha United Kingdom 0 02-09-2004 01:08 AM