Old 11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Michelle C

No, Janet, you are wrong. You are focusing on one small part of my post and
pretending it is the reason for my post.

My problem, as Alan and others have already pointed out to you and Kay, is
one of gardening etiquette and neighbor relations. I've already said that
the laws in the U.K. do not apply in the USA. I'm looking for opinions, not
legal advice.

Thanks anyway, and have a great day

The part Kay replied to was the short paragraph containing the
question, "Does the law obligate me to trim vines that enter my
neighbors yard? "

Janet.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Kay

In article , Michelle C
writes
No, Janet, you are wrong. You are focusing on one small part of my post and
pretending it is the reason for my post.

Excuse me. I am the best person to verify or not Janet's statement

"The part Kay replied to was the short paragraph containing the
question, "Does the law obligate me to trim vines that enter my
neighbors yard? "

That is indeed the part I was replying to. I was concerned that you were
unaware that this was a UK newsgroup (as several of your compatriots
have been) and that you would take any advice relating to the law in the
UK as applying to your country, which of course it would not.

My problem, as Alan and others have already pointed out to you and Kay, is
one of gardening etiquette and neighbor relations. I've already said that
the laws in the U.K. do not apply in the USA. I'm looking for opinions, not
legal advice.

In your original post you asked several questions:
"But now I'm wondering who is right, and who is wrong, in this
situation? Am I right to think my neighbors are cranky? Does the law
obligate me to trim vines that enter my neighbors yard? Should they
accept the minor chore of vine trimming in return for having such a
beautiful backdrop (their words) to their garden?"
It wasn't till a later post that you said that you were looking for
opinions and that you were aware that the law as we know it (ie UK)
would not apply. Your original post read as a request for your legal
position, and this is not the best ng for that.

--
Kay

Old 11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Richard

Hello Janet,

JB Perhaps you hadn't had a baby

I'm a man or was the last time I looked.

JB conveyanced property or land,

Nope.

JB employed any building trades,

Yes, I had some plaster repaired in my ceiling before leaving Glasgow
and he said it would need two and a half feet of new plaster!

JB used a modern recipe book,

Yes, frequently and most are still in metric and imperial.

JB or ordered anything made to measure for quite some time beforehand?

Yes, and again a combination of yards and metres was used.

Anyway it was "Yards" that were mentioned, albeit garden yards as I said
in my next mail and asked that this one be ignored ;-)

As far as I know the UK still uses yards, feet and miles. Other
measurements weren't part of the message.

--
Best regards,
Richard (remove NS to reply)

Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The OP chose her own header.

The OP didn't once mention USA in the header or in the message.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Tumbleweed

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Three years ago, my neighbors were storing a canoe up against the chain
link fence that separates our backyards. It was an eyesore. My opinion is
that I have no right complaining to my neighbors about what they do on
their own property, so I took a pro-active approach instead. I planted
some Silver Lace vines on the chain link fence. This worked very well and
by the end of summer it hid the canoe, and it looked really nice.

snip
He told me that he and his wife shouldn't have to trim it at all, because
it was my vine. snip

IMHO and IME you are wrong and they are right :-)

i think they were being bit petty to be honest, for example they could have
said 'do you mind if we trim your vines', but suppose it was any other sort
of invasive weed or tall tree, it would definitely be your responsibility so
i thinks its just that they are small that makes you think you dont have to
do it.

IME you have made a start getting on good terms with them so get over your
annoyance, trim the vines and invite them back.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
p00kie

"Michelle C" wrote in message

snip

Agree to remove the vines if they're willing to replace them with something
just as pleasing ... ( 10 foot brick wall with razor wire on the top!
(joke)) ... if they decline your offer you can still remove the vines but
give them something worse to moan about ... start a compost heap by the
fence with the optimum benefit of view et. al. for them righ up against the
fence. If they then complain ... just shrug and point out 'politely of
course' they asked for it!
Obviously this may cause some conflict with your neighbours so choose this
course with care.
As for them complaining about your trees which were there long before their
pool, you could ask if they had the sense to notice this issue before they
installed it ... and that they can purchase pool covers for when autumn
occurs as it has occurred quite often in the past ... I think it happens
yearly!

Seriously though, you can only go so far to be accomodating as we all have
to live with each other ... but it's finding where to draw the line that is
hardest sometimes.

--
p00kie

Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Tumbleweed

"Michelle C" wrote in message

None of which you mentioned in your original post and none of which have
anything to do with a Polygonum eating some of your neighbour's plants.

Yes, it's known as "additional" information. I supplied it because I
thought it would help people to better understand the situation. Am I not
allowed to do that?

If you have a garden big enough to house mature
oaks and elms in the plural, then I can't imagine you and your neighbours
need to have much to do with each other unless you choose to do so.

Except when it comes to their petty complaints.

Petty?!!? I'd be ****ed off if my next door neighbour did something that
meant I had to some work every 2 to 3 weeks! I had originally envisaged it
being a once or twice a year job, hence my comment about being petty. I
think you are lucky they didnt just spray them with weedkiller and put it
down to a disease.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Tumbleweed

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Michelle C" wrote in message
[...]

Comment re 'petty' withdrawn now I understand its a once a fortnight job!

Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Michelle C

Petty?!!? I'd be ****ed off if my next door neighbour did something that
meant I had to some work every 2 to 3 weeks!

I consider it petty. But then I like plants and gardening.

I think you are lucky they didnt just spray them with weedkiller and put
it down to a disease.

That would be illegal in my country. But not in yours?

Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Michelle C

You've had your two cents worth and more. And now ou are trolling IMO.
What a surprise. Ask these questions in USA. What is legal in UK is of no
importance to your (apparent) problem.

But now my curiousity is piqued, so you'll have to forgive me. My post was
titled "legal/ethical dilemma" and one of your countrymen said I was lucky
that my neighbors didn't poison my plants. Excuse me for asking, but is such
a thing legal or ethical in your country? It isn't in ours, but as you said,
your laws are different.

Just curious.

Nice chatting with you. Have a nice day!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:40:43 -0500, "Michelle C"
wrote:

Maybe the growing conditions are not as good in my yard, but the Silver Lace
vines only require trimming every 2-3 weeks, as I said.

snip

It's not called Mile-a-Minute for nothing!

Your own Robert Lee Frost said "good fences make good neighbours".

Be a good neighbour, rip out the vines and plant something less
rampant that will cover the chain-link fence and screen them from you
and you from them.

--
Chris

Old 12-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Duncan Heenan wrote:
:: "Michelle C" wrote in message
:: ...
::: snip
::
:: As you are an American, I suggest that as someone has upset you,
:: you bomb the hell out of them, invade their garden, occupy it,
:: take their natural resources to pay for the damage, and then
:: insist that they thank you for showing them the American Way.
:: Have a nice day y'all.

Just like Britain did with India, Burma, Australia, America, Canada etc
etc
etc.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

And that was wrong too. And those people complained too. And were ignored
too. And so turned in to 'terrorists' too and bit the arse of the aggressors
too.
The main lesson of history is that no-one learns from it.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered User

I'm not going to comment on legal issues as that is the cause of most neighbour disputes. Frankly the law isn't really relevant as a nuisance is a nuisance whatever the law says.
Firstly - the canoe. The correct procedure if the sight of the canoe offended you would have been to ask nicely for it to be moved. Failing that, you could easily have found a way of masking it without your solution causing problems for your neighbour.
Secondly - your ( unwitting?) boundary terrorism. Planting anything on your boundary without your neighbours agreement which then imposes on your neighbour is frankly bad manners and inconsiderate. You may well like the vine and be willing to trim it regularly, but why should you demand that your neighbour is equally willing. You seem surprised that the subject is raised in your own home, but surely any such complaint is better at a social meeting that through a legal proceeding.
It's not about whether you have a right to plant a vine on the boundary, but whether it's reasonable, and it quite clearly isn't as far as your neighbour is concerned, which is pretty much the clincher.
If you have to ask whether you should remove a source of nuisance to your neighbour, then you obviously have no understanding of what being a good neighbour requires.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Michelle C wrote:

You've had your two cents worth and more. And now ou are trolling IMO.
What a surprise. Ask these questions in USA. What is legal in UK is of no
importance to your (apparent) problem.

But now my curiousity is piqued, so you'll have to forgive me. My post was
titled "legal/ethical dilemma" and one of your countrymen said I was lucky
that my neighbors didn't poison my plants. Excuse me for asking, but is such
a thing legal or ethical in your country? It isn't in ours, but as you said,
your laws are different.

No, it isn't. In general, USA law is developed from English law,
with 250 years of deviations of detail. Unlike with the language,
English law is not a near-superset of USA law, and there is as much
in the latter that is not in the former as vice versa.

The subsetting is why educated English speakers can understand almost
all USA English (though not Ebonics and some Yiddish etc. imports),
but the converse is not true. Neither way round is true of the law.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.