Old 24-11-2002, 06:41 PM
HaaRoy

Default Buying Osteospermum

anyone know where i can get these in UK ?
jucundas and any hardy variaties

Old 24-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Emrys Davies

I think you mean Osteospermum jacundum - the only fairly hardy one for
the UK. I have grown the pink form for nearly ten years in the Midlands
and it has never suffered from the frost.

http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Osteospermum%20jucundum.htm

Do you live within striking distance of Solihull because last summer,
having chatted to a couple in a nursery, I did them three cuttings but
they never called. They are now full their 5" pots and looking for a
home. I have a large bed of them and they root as they go.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 25-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Paul England

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
anyone know where i can get these in UK ?
jucundas and any hardy variaties

Looking through RHS Plant Finder, they list a large number of Osteospermum
supliers. Which county are you in ?

Regards Paul..............England

Old 25-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Paul England

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:56:23 -0000, "Paul England"
wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
anyone know where i can get these in UK ?
jucundas and any hardy variaties

Looking through RHS Plant Finder, they list a large number of

Osteospermum
supliers. Which county are you in ?

Regards Paul..............England

UK of course London west

Only a couple in your area, ring them to enquire as to hardiness and if they
have other varieties, they are :-

Hortus Nursery, Shepperton, 01932 242216 and listed as stocking Osteo' Lady
Leitrim.

Wisley Plant Centre, Woking, 01483 211113 listed :-
Osteo' Buttermilk, Gold Sparkler, Silver Sparkler,
Sunny Alex, Sunny Martha, Stardust, Pink Whorls,
White Pim, Zambezi, Zimbar and Zulu.

If you are ever in the Herts area there is Hopleys Plants at Much Hadham,
01279 842509 and they stock their own variety 'Hopleys' also Buttermilk,
Vega, Lady Leitrim and
Weetwood.

Good luck and happy hunting ...............Paul

Old 26-11-2002, 07:59 PM
HaaRoy

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:49:48 -0000, " Emrys Davies"
wrote:

I think you mean Osteospermum jacundum - the only fairly hardy one for
the UK. I have grown the pink form for nearly ten years in the Midlands
and it has never suffered from the frost.

http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Osteospermum%20jucundum.htm

Do you live within striking distance of Solihull because last summer,
having chatted to a couple in a nursery, I did them three cuttings but
they never called. They are now full their 5" pots and looking for a
home. I have a large bed of them and they root as they go.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

i wonder if they could be posted in a bag ,with minimal soil?
postage and recompense to my address?
would they travel?

Old 26-11-2002, 08:04 PM
HaaRoy

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:47:19 -0000, "Paul England"
wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:56:23 -0000, "Paul England"
wrote:

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

much obliged for taking the trouble to check,
no mention of the hardy jucundas version though..
i will have to check on these on the very helpfull.
osteospermuma.com website
has it all on these African daisy plants
it seems that you cannot raise them from seeds .
only cuttings
looks like the wisley place is the nearest but still an hours drive
from my place.

Old 26-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Janet Sanderson

I bought one from Perry's near Whitby,
it was sold as hardy, but did not survive
my North Yorks patch despite TLC

good luck
Janet

--
Janet Sanderson
http://www.walnutworks.co.uk

Old 27-11-2002, 01:29 AM
Emrys Davies

I e-mailed you in answer to your post but the message was returned
because of a 'Permanent Error'. Would you 'phone me on 0121 743 0840.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Victoria Clare

"Janet Sanderson" wrote in
:

I bought one from Perry's near Whitby,
it was sold as hardy, but did not survive
my North Yorks patch despite TLC

....whereas down in Cornwall, I have them all over the place - even
semishaded areas where the books say they should not thrive. They flower a
bit less freely there, but still do OK

I composted a lot of them because I'd run out of space, or I'd offer Haaroy
some cuttings.

Victoria