Old 25-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Rufus

Default Leaf mould

Hi,

Unable to find room in my small garden for a compost bin, last Autumn I
collected and bagged all the fallen leaves hoping to end up with a good
supply of leaf mould. When I opened the first two bags in October of this
year, all I found was a muddy mess. When I first bagged the leaves I
followed instructions found in a gardening magazine, used large plastic
bags, pressed the leaves firmly into the bags, pierced holes around the
sides and tied the tops. This year I have once again collected three large
bags of leaves hoping to have more success. Where did I go wrong last year?
Any leaf composting advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance,
Rufus.

Old 25-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Nick Wagg

Rufus wrote:

Hi,

Unable to find room in my small garden for a compost bin, last Autumn I
collected and bagged all the fallen leaves hoping to end up with a good
supply of leaf mould. When I opened the first two bags in October of this
year, all I found was a muddy mess. When I first bagged the leaves I
followed instructions found in a gardening magazine, used large plastic
bags, pressed the leaves firmly into the bags, pierced holes around the
sides and tied the tops. This year I have once again collected three large
bags of leaves hoping to have more success. Where did I go wrong last year?
Any leaf composting advice would be most welcome.

Sounds to me as if you pressed too hard. I only fill the bags loosely
with damp leaves.
--
Nick Wagg
TranscenData Europe Ltd, Oakington House, Oakington, Cambridge CB4 5AF
Old 29-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Druss

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Rufus wrote:

[...]

Yea I tend to fill the bags quite full but they do break down into very
little compost, and I thus mix them up a bit through the year, then
amalgamate them into other bags, this not only mixes them up and keeps the
total number of bags required down.

Duncan

Leaf collection for leaf mould michael United Kingdom 8 07-11-2009 06:26 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Leaf mould advice for a newbie fruitbat United Kingdom 14 24-01-2005 02:57 PM
leaf mould Alan and Liz United Kingdom 5 21-11-2002 04:10 PM
leaf mould Rob United Kingdom 12 13-11-2002 06:27 PM