GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pampas Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8875-pampas-grass.html)

Michael 27-11-2002 10:35 PM

Pampas Grass

Dear all,

I have a very large pampas grass 'bush' which I want to cut back and allow
to re-grow.The main bush is 6/8 ft high.

Just how tough can I get with it and still have it living?

Someone said that you can set fire to them in the same sense as sugar cane
etc.and burn them down.

Appreciate any clues / suggestions

Michael

DaveDay34 28-11-2002 07:11 PM

Pampas Grass

I remember seeing someone burn his on a Gardener's World programme a few
weeks ago. If you decide to set fire to yours now, do remember that
hedgehogs often choose to hibernate in them.

Rufus

Don't burn the Pampas now! The dead leaves from this year's growth will
protect the new shoots from frost. Burn off in March and new growth should
come through sometime fairly soon afterwards. Cutting back now will just make
the plant look tatty (in my opinion).

Dave.

Michael Berridge 29-11-2002 10:53 PM

Pampas Grass

DaveDay34 wrote in message

Don't burn the Pampas now! The dead leaves from this year's growth

will
protect the new shoots from frost. Burn off in March and new growth

should
come through sometime fairly soon afterwards. Cutting back now will

just make
the plant look tatty (in my opinion).

Most books don not recommend burning pampas grass after early January,
new growth may well have started after that and you can kill the plant.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk