Old 15-01-2005, 04:33 PM
gray

Default Help identifing seed plz

Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

and

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed2.jpg and the leaf was green when
picked.
Old 16-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Charlie Pridham

"gray" wrote in message
Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

and

Looks a bit like beech tree seeds
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"gray" wrote in message
.. .
Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

and

Looks a bit like beech tree seeds

It's not Fagus sylvatica though, because the outer case doesn't have
'spines' and the seeds themselves aren't triangular.

It looks very familiar, but I can't think what - I did have a wild guess
of magnolia, but googling suggests that's rubbish. It's something
equally obvious, I think, and it's infuriating that I can't remember!
--
Kay

Old 16-01-2005, 10:03 AM
JennyC

"gray" wrote in message
Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

and

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed2.jpg and the leaf was green when
picked.

Google (seed identification) threw up this:
http://www.seedimages.com/seed-identification.html

HTH Jenny

Old 16-01-2005, 03:23 PM
David Hill

Playing with the first picture I get the feeling that the seed is almost
flat with a papery surround like some of conifer seed such as Cypress.

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 16-01-2005, 05:31 PM
gray

I have now taken the seed out of
http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed2.jpg and have found it to
somewhat similar to a small walnut seed but a with very much rounded 6
lobed star crosssection.
I believe that this could be Davidia involucrata or the "Handkerchief
Tree".

Can anyone confirm ???

The seed of http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg are paper thin
almost like a fir tree, but rounded like an 'honesty' seed with the
seed part offset to the side. The seed head is somewhat similar to a
beech seed head, but think of it like a 'Terrys chocolate orange' and
in between the segments are these thin seeds.

Old 16-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Rod

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:33:20 GMT, gray wrote:

Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

and

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed2.jpg and the leaf was green when
picked.

It would help us narrow things down a bit if we had some idea of the
provenance of the seeds. Seed 2 looks like it could be some sort of
Hickory (Carya spp.) Try this for starters
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioima...-hickories.htm

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 16-01-2005, 08:40 PM
gray

All the seeds have come from a UK garden, but may be of world wide
origin ???

=============================================== ==

Old 17-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

Looks a bit like beech tree seeds

It's not Fagus sylvatica though, because the outer case doesn't have
'spines' and the seeds themselves aren't triangular.

It looks very familiar, but I can't think what - I did have a wild guess
of magnolia, but googling suggests that's rubbish. It's something
equally obvious, I think, and it's infuriating that I can't remember!

From my book trees and shrubs of UK and Europe it looks similar to a
spindle tree (broad leaved one) a Rockrose and a broad leaved lime!
Mind you they are drawings............

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:33:20 GMT, gray wrote:

Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

How tough is the case of this one? If woody I have no idea. If thin
and fragile it looks a bit like the "shoo-fly" plant, nicandra, but my
sight is so dodgy I can't see the details. Also looks a bit like a
Chinese Lantern, but are the 2 small things on the left seeds? If so
no idea.

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Sacha

On 15/1/05 16:33, in article ,
"gray" wrote:

Any ideas of the following seeds that were given to me this autumn

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed1.jpg

Ray thinks it could be Pseudocamellia stewartia

and

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/temp/seed2.jpg and the leaf was green when
picked.

It's maddeningly familiar but.....!
Where did the seeds come from originally? I'm going to forward your post to
David Poole and see if he can help, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Rod

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:18:20 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Ray thinks it could be Pseudocamellia stewartia

What about this?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/s/stepse/stepse1.html

Old 17-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Sacha

wrote:

Ray thinks it could be Pseudocamellia stewartia

What about this?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/s/stepse/stepse1.html

Not that, then. Those seed pods aren't right. The thing is that they're
strangely familiar!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 18-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Sacha

On 17/1/05 23:30, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

wrote:

Ray thinks it could be Pseudocamellia stewartia

What about this?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/s/stepse/stepse1.html

Not that, then. Those seed pods aren't right. The thing is that they're
strangely familiar!

Duh. I was looking at the wrong pic. So back two paces - the seed pod Ray
has just brought me looks remarkably like the one the OP showed, though
possibly not as large. So, for now I'll go with one of the Stewartias and
see what comes up when the OP plants it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk