Old 28-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Amber

Default Its cold up north, erm well is it?

This is a silly question I know but how cold is it up north (Manchester or
Leeds as max northwards)
I am from Blackpool and unied in York and then moved to London. I have only
gardened in London, but on journeys to Bolton (housemates parents) it seems
colder than I remember, also they don't seem to be able to grow morning
glories and in my garden (also south) they bloom so well this year I didn't
even have to put down seeds.
So garden wise what I expect? More rain, earlier frost? Is it a big
difference?

thanks
amber

Old 28-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Amber" writes:
| This is a silly question I know but how cold is it up north (Manchester or
| Leeds as max northwards)
| I am from Blackpool and unied in York and then moved to London. I have only
| gardened in London, but on journeys to Bolton (housemates parents) it seems
| colder than I remember, also they don't seem to be able to grow morning
| glories and in my garden (also south) they bloom so well this year I didn't
| even have to put down seeds.
| So garden wise what I expect? More rain, earlier frost? Is it a big
| difference?

Winter minimum temperatures are more west to east than north to south.
Cambridge gets harder frosts than Manchester!

Wind and rain are similar, but summer heat and sun is south to north.

Roughly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 28-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Amber
writes
This is a silly question I know but how cold is it up north (Manchester or
Leeds as max northwards)
I am from Blackpool and unied in York and then moved to London. I have only
gardened in London, but on journeys to Bolton (housemates parents) it seems
colder than I remember, also they don't seem to be able to grow morning
glories and in my garden (also south) they bloom so well this year I didn't
even have to put down seeds.
So garden wise what I expect? More rain, earlier frost? Is it a big
difference?

Leeds:

No morning glories!
Earliest frost, first week of Oct, latest frost, first week of June.

I used to garden in Sevenoaks in Kent - compared to there, I'd say we
have more rain, more rain in summer (I don't have to water anything
except containers), cooler summers, warmer winters, and more fertile
soil.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: