Old 28-11-2002, 04:16 PM
John Towill

Default Cleaning fleece

What is the best way of cleaning fleece, indeed can it be cleaned?
TIA
John T

Old 28-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Chris

In article , John Towill
writes
What is the best way of cleaning fleece, indeed can it be cleaned?

Washing machine seemed OK.
--
Chris
Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 AM
Mary Fisher

"John Towill" wrote in message
What is the best way of cleaning fleece, indeed can it be cleaned?
TIA
John T

What do you mean by fleece?

Mary

Old 01-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"John Towill" wrote in message
What is the best way of cleaning fleece, indeed can it be cleaned?

What do you mean by fleece?

Mary

Not the stuff clothes are made of....

Horticultural fleece is a thin, white non-woven synthetic (polyester?)
material used for giving plants a bit of extra protection.

like this:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0201/fleece.asp
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 02-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Mary Fisher

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
"John Towill" wrote in message
What is the best way of cleaning fleece, indeed can it be cleaned?

What do you mean by fleece?

Mary

Not the stuff clothes are made of....

Horticultural fleece is a thin, white non-woven synthetic (polyester?)
material used for giving plants a bit of extra protection.

Ah, thanks. I have some, should have realised that on a gardening ng that
would be what was meant ... it's just that I have several sheep fleeces ...

Mary

Old 04-12-2002, 12:18 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

.... it's just that I have several sheep fleeces ...

Hello Mary, fancy meeting you here ;o)) I hope you're keeping well. What
do you do with your fleece? Do you hand spin? I've just sent 2 skins to be
'organically' cured and can't wait to get them back!

Jaqy

Old 04-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

... it's just that I have several sheep fleeces ...

Hello Mary, fancy meeting you here ;o)) I hope you're keeping well.

Was fondled by the oncologist yesterday and he said he thought I was OK ...
:-)

What
do you do with your fleece? Do you hand spin?

No, but Spouse does.

I've just sent 2 skins to be
'organically' cured and can't wait to get them back!

How is that going to be done? I have a Kerry Hill and a coloured skin (can't
remember the breed) which need doing.

Mary

Jaqy

Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

Was fondled by the oncologist yesterday and he said he thought I was OK

:-)

Well, that's one way of putting it!! Glad you're doing well. )

I've just sent 2 skins to be
'organically' cured and can't wait to get them back!

How is that going to be done? I have a Kerry Hill and a coloured skin

(can't
remember the breed) which need doing.

I don't know, actually!! I had 2 large lambs butchered a couple of weeks
ago and the slaughterman knows a guy who sends his down south to be done
organically, so he took mine to send with this other guy's. He's coming on
Saturday to do 2 geese for me, for Christmas, so I'll ask him for more
details and let you know. I do know the charge is £17 each, which I thought
was very good. Have you salted yours already? The best thing to do is salt
them straight away and then you can store them for as long as you like in an
airtight bag, until you're ready to have them done. Mind you, I think they
can still 'bring them back' even if they've gone stiff. I'll get back to
you when I know more.

Keep well,
Jaqy

Old 04-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

I'll ask him for more
details and let you know.

That would be kind. But in my experience they're very close - they say, "Oh,
you just use alum (or whatever)" but don't say how much or how or for how
long ... :-(

I do know the charge is £17 each, which I thought
was very good. Have you salted yours already?

Oh yes. I know about immediate salting.

The best thing to do is salt
them straight away and then you can store them for as long as you like in

an
airtight bag, until you're ready to have them done.

They don't even need to be in an airtight bag, in my experience.

Mind you, I think they
can still 'bring them back' even if they've gone stiff. I'll get back to
you when I know more.

The goat and sheepskins I have did go like cardboard but are gradually
getting softer. I've tried using tallow but it doesn't work, I've tried
neats foot oil but that doesn't work either.

I'd like to know more.

We're down to one hen again :-(

Mary

Old 04-12-2002, 10:32 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

We're down to one hen again :-(

Oh no, not that damned fox again? Who is left? Is it your old girl or the
new one?

Jaqy

Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

We're down to one hen again :-(

Oh no, not that damned fox again? Who is left? Is it your old girl or

the
new one?

Milady. Her pol chick, the beautiful and elegant Jubilee, was killed. Milady
is traumatised, won't leave the kitchen windowsill unless we're around.
Spouse fitted 18" vertical rails 3" apart along the corner where it was
getting in by jumping across from the wooden fence of a neighbour. It was a
mangy thing but didn't give a cuss about us ...

Mary

Old 05-12-2002, 03:15 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

Milady. Her pol chick, the beautiful and elegant Jubilee, was killed.

Milady
is traumatised, won't leave the kitchen windowsill unless we're around.

Oh poor thing (

Spouse fitted 18" vertical rails 3" apart along the corner where it was
getting in by jumping across from the wooden fence of a neighbour. It was

mangy thing but didn't give a cuss about us ...

Well, I guess it's just doing what foxes do but it's horrible to see their
work and awful to see others suffering because of it. We sometimes find the
odd lamb ripped up and the ewes suffer terribly for a long time. I have to
admit, I don't like foxes (no flames, please!!).

Jaqy

Old 05-12-2002, 11:56 PM
Mary Fisher

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

Well, I guess it's just doing what foxes do but it's horrible to see their
work and awful to see others suffering because of it. We sometimes find

the
odd lamb ripped up and the ewes suffer terribly for a long time. I have

admit, I don't like foxes (no flames, please!!).

Nor do I and I don't give a toss about flames. No-one's reading this anyway!

Off to Cambridgeshire tomorrow, Milady will go with us.

Mary

Jaqy

Old 06-12-2002, 12:29 PM
MC Emily

"Mary Fisher" wrote

I have to admit, I don't like foxes (no flames, please!!).

Nor do I and I don't give a toss about flames. No-one's reading this

anyway!

LOL!!!

Off to Cambridgeshire tomorrow, Milady will go with us.

Have a lovely time, I hope the weather is good for you.

Jaqy

Old 06-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Ken Riley

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:13:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MC Emily" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote

(snip)

The goat and sheepskins I have did go like cardboard but are gradually
getting softer. I've tried using tallow but it doesn't work, I've tried
neats foot oil but that doesn't work either.

I'd like to know more.
Mary

My dad used to tell me that you had to chew them to soften them.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)