Old 30-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Leighholman

Default fennel

is that a no then?
Old 30-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (Leighholman) contains these words:

is that a no then?

Dunno, maybe. What's the question?

Janet.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:45 AM
Hussein M.

On 28 Nov 2002 19:36:27 GMT, (Sickcows4sale)
wrote:

does anyone know the best way to save fennel bulbs?
thanks for your help
leigh

Don't take any notice of them (the curious thread which developed
elsewhere from your question). I think this list is in a wind-up mode
of a the most gentle and sometimes hilarious variety. They are in fact
"trolling" in the correct meaning of the word. "Can this guy stand the
cool?"

Yeah, of course.

I don't know much about Fennel never having grown it, but if I had a
fennel bulb (presumably the bulbous variety you eat), I would go ahead
and do just that. Then find some good seeds for next years crop.

Foeniculum vulgare is a perennial - if that's what you've got - and
will survive from one year to the next.

However. This is what I found on it:

Seed - best sown in early spring in situ[1]. The
seed can also be sown in situ in the autumn[4,
37]. In many gardens it self sows freely.

Division in March as the new growth appears[16, 200]. The
plants are very tolerant of disturbance, we have
found divisions to take well at any time of the
year, though these divisions are never as good as
seed-sown plants[K].

So Leigh, when they've stopped horsing around back there they might
like to add or subtract to/from that.

heh heh.

I don't know. I posted a message on the thistle thread which had the
clearest hint that if anybody wanted to continue my new angle they
should start another thread. "Thistles" has turned into an in depth
correspondence about plant taxonomy (if that's the word for it). And
after all that discussion about keeping to the subject!

Catch you later and good luck with the fennel. It's not a fabulously
rare and wonderful variety is it? In which case maybe you shouldn't
eat it.

Hussein (past his bedtime)