Old 17-01-2005, 12:48 PM
mike

Default parasene weed wand

I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

regards
Mike

Old 17-01-2005, 01:01 PM
pollocmc

Hi,

post from a long time lurker

I have one (I'm sure it was a parasene one) and they take generic cans
like wot plumbers blow torches take. I cant say that I find it to be
particularly effective but is immensely satisfying watching the little
buggers burn! If you've only got the odd weed it might be ok but I find
a spray of path-clear is more effective although not the same instant
gratification.

HTH

Mark
(Just back in out the rain from my walk to the garden shop to buy some
arran pilots for chitting)

Old 17-01-2005, 02:13 PM
mike

"pollocmc" wrote in message
ups.com...
a spray of path-clear is more effective

My thoughts as well, but swmbo wishes to minimise the use of chemicals.

My worry is that there is (useless !) membrane underneath the gravel, which
I can see catching fire

Mike

Old 17-01-2005, 03:43 PM
pollocmc

I'd reckon, the gravel will dissipate most heat that misses it's
target. Only problem might be the odd stone splintering. This is only
if you aren't a very good aim. The flame gives a nice blue cone so
pretty easy to direct.

I think, that you don't actually have to fry them to a crisp just a
light toasting. Presumably the heat destroys the cells structure
enough. That being said it's not as satifying as watching them keel
over in flames.

My thinking would be that I'm still using chemicals anyway (well
burning them, but it still damages the environment if you want to be
that picky) So I just use whatever is most effective.

I believe glyphosphate breaks down very quickly when it reaches the
soil but some of the regulars will probably be able to confirm/refute
this.

Other things I forgot to mention. I'm about 6'1" and it's about three
inches too short for me. Just perfect for that stoop that causes a sore
back. I'll need to get longer arms. Oh and it makes a pleasant pop
sound as the last remnants of gas burn after the valve is closed
Well it amuses me...

Mark.

Old 17-01-2005, 03:55 PM
June Hughes

In message , mike
writes
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

I have one. Burns the weeds. I hate it. It is easier to scrape the
weeds out with a hoe or knife.
--
June Hughes

Old 17-01-2005, 04:34 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"mike" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

I got one a couple of years ago and it is rubbish.You are supposed to
lightly singe the weeds every week until the die back, it takes weeks to
have any effect. The only thing I use it for now is lighting the bonfire.
Save yourself your money and buy a systemic weedkiller to clear your garden
of weeds before remodelling it.

Old 17-01-2005, 04:35 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"mike" wrote in message

"pollocmc" wrote in message
ups.com...
a spray of path-clear is more effective

My thoughts as well, but swmbo wishes to minimise the use of chemicals.

My worry is that there is (useless !) membrane underneath the gravel,

which
I can see catching fire

You aren't suppose to fry the weeds to a crisp, but lightly singe the thing
to discourage it. It is useless.If you are anywhere near me in Wisbech you
are welcome to borrow mine for a few weeks to see what a load of rubbish it
really is.

Old 17-01-2005, 04:42 PM
pollocmc

The only thing I use it for now is lighting the bonfire.

Brilliant, a real use for it. Now if they had advertised it as that I'd
have bought it much sooner!

Mark.

Old 17-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Paul D.Smith

"mike" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

regards
Mike

Got to agree with other posters - next to useless! Now maybe one of those
big-boys that run from a real propane tank - maybe that would work! Or
perhaps one of the "heritage" types that run from parafin - but where on
earth do you buy parafin from these days?

Paul DS.

Old 17-01-2005, 05:12 PM
sarah

June Hughes wrote:

In message , mike
writes
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

I have one. Burns the weeds. I hate it. It is easier to scrape the
weeds out with a hoe or knife.

I have one. I'm sure it *would* burn the weeds if the heat from the
flame wasn't so easily dissipated by the wind :-/ OTOH it is a
legitimate excuse to play with fire :-)

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Old 17-01-2005, 06:26 PM
June Hughes

In message , sarah
writes
June Hughes wrote:

In message , mike
writes
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

I have one. Burns the weeds. I hate it. It is easier to scrape the
weeds out with a hoe or knife.

I have one. I'm sure it *would* burn the weeds if the heat from the
flame wasn't so easily dissipated by the wind :-/ OTOH it is a
legitimate excuse to play with fire :-)

Hi Sarah. I didn't know you posted here. As a wimp, I am a bit scared
of my weed wand and as it doesn't work as well as expected, that is an
easy excuse not to use it.
--
June Hughes
Old 17-01-2005, 09:58 PM
JeffC

astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

but where on
earth do you buy parafin from these days?

Paul DS.

E bar gum, I remember goin' darn rowed t ' hardware shop fer a gallon o
pink, it were a fair ol' slog commin back up t ' ill an' all.

'Ad ter keep stoppin t' suck on me gobstopper fer sustinance.

An' that flippin' balaclava me mam knitted, it didn't 'alf itch.

when I gorome me dad ud say "where've you bin? t' bloody refinery?"

No dad, it were 'evy 'ad ter keep stoppin! "never mind son, where's me
Woodbine?"

err............. i forgot dad!

Jeff C

Old 17-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Mike Lyle

JeffC wrote:

but where on
earth do you buy parafin from these days?

Paul DS.

E bar gum, I remember goin' darn rowed t ' hardware shop fer a
gallon o pink, it were a fair ol' slog commin back up t ' ill an'

all.

'Ad ter keep stoppin t' suck on me gobstopper fer sustinance.

An' that flippin' balaclava me mam knitted, it didn't 'alf itch.

when I gorome me dad ud say "where've you bin? t' bloody

refinery?"

No dad, it were 'evy 'ad ter keep stoppin! "never mind son, where's

me
Woodbine?"

err............. i forgot dad!

Jeff C

Ayoop, lad! Tell yer summat fer nowt, yer bloody wasted on 't
gardening group! Gerrover t'alt.usage.english: t'yanks n aussies n
manbloodycunians ower theer are reet gaggin fer authentickal
dialectickals t'like of yersen! Bloody lah-dee-dah-parafeen! Appen ye
didn 'ave ter live in a cardboard box oop at t' joonction: when I
were a lad, we was so poor our moom ad to catch rats wi er bare
bloody ands and cook em on a fire o sticks in t' silver paper off of
fag packets, an when we coom ome from school we'd say "What's fer
tea, our moom?" An she'd say "Shoot yer gob! Same as fookin usual!"
An we'd say, "Rats! Foiled agaen!"

Mike.

Old 18-01-2005, 12:24 PM
shazzbat

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
June Hughes wrote:

In message , mike
writes
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up through
gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be parasene ?

I have one. Burns the weeds. I hate it. It is easier to scrape the
weeds out with a hoe or knife.

I have one. I'm sure it *would* burn the weeds if the heat from the
flame wasn't so easily dissipated by the wind :-/ OTOH it is a
legitimate excuse to play with fire :-)

Who needs an excuse?

Old 18-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"pollocmc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

post from a long time lurker

I have one (I'm sure it was a parasene one) and they take generic

cans
like wot plumbers blow torches take. I cant say that I find it to be
particularly effective but is immensely satisfying watching the

little
buggers burn! If you've only got the odd weed it might be ok but I

find
a spray of path-clear is more effective although not the same

instant
gratification.

Flamegunning is a total waste of money and time. It only burns off
the top growth, leaving the root system intact.
Think of how the folks rejuvenate the heather on the moors by burning
off the top growth.

Franz