GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Unusual birdsong (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/88878-ot-unusual-birdsong.html)

Sacha 17-01-2005 06:38 PM

OT Unusual birdsong

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song. I can't begin to think what it was and Ray even went out with a torch
to make sure nothing had become trapped in the mesh of the bird feeders etc.
which are just outside said window. No result! Anyone have any idea?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Dave Poole 17-01-2005 08:42 PM

Sacha wrote:

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song.

I've got robins doing the same throughout much of the night here
Sacha. They tend to become very active early and this year they seem
to be earlier than before.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Kate Morgan 17-01-2005 09:45 PM

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song.

I've got robins doing the same throughout much of the night here
Sacha. They tend to become very active early and this year they seem
to be earlier than before.

The robins in my garden are very very loud and active this year, one has
started flying in and out of the stables perching on the feed buckets
and into the house to visit us humans, all much earlier than usual, but
very welcome :-)

kate

Kay 17-01-2005 10:58 PM

In article , Dave Poole
writes
Sacha wrote:

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song.

I've got robins doing the same throughout much of the night here
Sacha. They tend to become very active early and this year they seem
to be earlier than before.

And from the BTO website

"In fact, virtually all reports of Nightingales from urban areas are
really of Blackbirds, Robins and Song Thrushes!"
--
Kay

Bob Hobden 17-01-2005 11:12 PM

"Sacha" wrote
At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong
wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song. I can't begin to think what it was and Ray even went out with a
torch
to make sure nothing had become trapped in the mesh of the bird feeders
etc.
which are just outside said window. No result! Anyone have any idea?
--

Last year we had a Robin that used to sing at all times of the night,
goodness knows when he slept. Beautiful strong song especially in the quiet

--
Regards
Bob

Sacha 17-01-2005 11:34 PM

On 17/1/05 20:42, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song.

I've got robins doing the same throughout much of the night here
Sacha. They tend to become very active early and this year they seem
to be earlier than before.

Thanks, Dave. Could well be a robin but I'll have to find an online version
of the song. This is news to me, so thanks to all that have replied. I had
no idea they'd go on singing after dark!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Richard Brooks 18-01-2005 01:57 AM

Sacha wrote:
At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong
wind, there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and
piercing song. I can't begin to think what it was and Ray even went
out with a torch to make sure nothing had become trapped in the mesh
of the bird feeders etc. which are just outside said window. No
result! Anyone have any idea?

Walking home near midnight in Croydon I'd often hear the robin sing by its
favourite street lamp and with no street bustle the little chirper can be
heard from some distance.

Richard.

Cerumen 18-01-2005 08:59 AM

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong

wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and piercing
song. I can't begin to think what it was and Ray even went out with a

torch
to make sure nothing had become trapped in the mesh of the bird feeders

etc.
which are just outside said window. No result! Anyone have any idea?

It could be robins, they are nesting here already and singing long and
hard. There was even a picture and report of robin nest with eggs last
week on a farm not far away.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Sacha 18-01-2005 09:40 AM

On 17/1/05 23:37, in article ,
" wrote:
snip

Click on the photo of the robin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/capturewa...nda-john.shtml

It won't play b¨Ý tells me that I need some plug in audio thingy. When I go
to the suggested site, I have no more idea what to select than a 3 year old!
But as I write, a robin is on the bird feeder again - perhaps it spent the
night there!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

June Hughes 18-01-2005 12:50 PM

In message ,
writes

Click on the photo of the robin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/capturewa...nda-john.shtml
What a sad story.
--
June Hughes

Franz Heymann 18-01-2005 02:34 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly

strong wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and

piercing
song. I can't begin to think what it was and Ray even went out with

a torch
to make sure nothing had become trapped in the mesh of the bird

feeders etc.
which are just outside said window. No result! Anyone have any

idea?

The only songbirds around here which sing at this time of the year are
robins. The song is very haunting and somewhat different from their
spring song.

Franz

JeffC 18-01-2005 11:52 PM

--
astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:34:06 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 17/1/05 20:42, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

At about 6pm tonight and in the pitch dark and an increasingly strong

wind,
there was a bird outside our office window singing a sweet and

piercing
song.

I've got robins doing the same throughout much of the night here
Sacha. They tend to become very active early and this year they seem
to be earlier than before.

Thanks, Dave. Could well be a robin but I'll have to find an online

version
of the song. This is news to me, so thanks to all that have replied. I

had
no idea they'd go on singing after dark!

Click on the photo of the robin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/capturewa...nda-john.shtml
--
Martin

Nice story, but so sad ;.-(......

p00kie 21-01-2005 07:10 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 17/1/05 23:37, in article ,
" wrote:
snip

Click on the photo of the robin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/capturewa...nda-john.shtml

It won't play b¨Ý tells me that I need some plug in audio thingy. When I
go
to the suggested site, I have no more idea what to select than a 3 year
old!
But as I write, a robin is on the bird feeder again - perhaps it spent the
night there!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Try this site for sounds:
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birdindex.htm

Sacha 22-01-2005 12:43 AM

On 21/1/05 19:10, in article
, "p00kie"
wrote:

snip
Try this site for sounds:
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birdindex.htm

Really terrific site, thank you! And yes, I think that's what I heard. I
note the comment about singing near a streetlight and this office light was
on and it has a feeder directly outside, so that all hangs together.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kate Morgan 22-01-2005 09:25 AM

snip
Try this site for sounds:
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birdindex.htm

This site is very good, I use it all the time.
My robins are very active at the moment if you know what I mean , nudge
nudge wink wink :-)