Old 28-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Serena Blanchflower

Default Advice on Japenese Money plant

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:57:19 +0000, Judith Lea
wrote:

I was given a Japanese Money Plant today for my office. I already have
a fleshy money plant thing but this one had round flat leaves and I know
nothing about it. I am told it grows into quite a large thing with lots of
sideshoots - what is it's real name and how do I look after it?

Is this the same plant that I know (thanks to a long discussion
here, a few months ago) as a Chinese Money Plant - as shown at
http://tinyurl.com/1kdf?

If so, it is a Pilea Peperomioides. It doesn't seem to grow too
large; I had had the plant in the photo for two or three years to
get it to that size. By then, it was pretty leggy and bent so, when
I had potted up that batch of babies, the parent went to the compost
heap, to be replaced by one of it's children.

It seems pretty easy going - mine lives in a bay window, but with
quite a lot of shade, so it doesn't get much direct sun and it seems
to thrive. I've still got some of the last batch of babies, waiting
for new homes, and they are doing well on a south facing windowsill.

They do produce a lot of babies, which need to be potted up and
found new homes.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)