Old 29-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Cardamoms anyone? (Was Oxalis Tuberosa)

"A.Malhotra" wrote in
:
Victoria Clare wrote:

And can you actually grow cardamoms from, well, cardamoms from a
spice pot, or do you need special seed as per the catalogue? I am a
big cardamom fan, so if the leaves smell like the seeds, I shall soon
be acquiring a new house plant one way or the other. . .

I've no experience of trying to grow cardamom but I think that most of
the culinary stock would be rather too old to do well. Re growing it
as a houseplant, its quite a big plant, related to ginger.

But the plant itself is not
especially beautiful and I don't think any other part of the plant
carries the aroma. Anita

Very interesting - spurred on by this, I did some web research, and found
to my surprise that there are several plants referred to as 'cardamom' -
Elettaria cardamomum Maton seems likely to be the one you saw.

I did find some postings on various bulletin boards from people who were
mostly looking for advice themselves - but a number of them mentioned
scented leaves - maybe more noticeable when plant is inside in a pot?

I also found a few pics:
http://www.desert-
tropicals.com/Plants/Zingiberaceae/Elettaria_cardamomum.html and
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/862/

and it does indeed look very much like ginger. Been there, and it was a
bit dull, so I may not bother again.

According to http://www.sunderland.com/vi/mowgard.htm they were planning to
grow them in the Winter Gardens in Sunderland. Anyone been and know if
they do?

Victoria Clare
Old 29-11-2002, 08:18 PM
HaaRoy

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:28:19 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

"A.Malhotra" wrote in
:
Victoria Clare wrote:

And can you actually grow cardamoms from, well, cardamoms from a
spice pot, or do you need special seed as per the catalogue? I am a
big cardamom fan, so if the leaves smell like the seeds, I shall soon
be acquiring a new house plant one way or the other. . .

i took some cardomoms with me to thailand and planted them in a garden
in what i thought would be ideal conditions but nothing.
plenty hot and humid too.
strange that the local thais had never seen them before.
i dont want to even contemplate growing curry leaves..

Apios Tuberosa (_Glycine Apios_) Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
Tuberosa is going to bloom again? Cereus-validus Gardening 0 09-10-2004 02:33 PM
possible to transplant asclepias tuberosa? griffon Gardening 8 03-06-2003 04:08 AM
tuberosa question rsp United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 01:06 AM
Oxalis tuberosa anyone? Hussein M. United Kingdom 8 29-11-2002 12:27 PM