Old 29-11-2002, 08:22 PM
HaaRoy

Default My roses are terrible

i am sure that i did the right soil prep but they are puny and not too
vigorous.
any advice about how deep and how much manure to dump in the hole?
there must be a secret to it
Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 PM
DaveDay34

i am sure that i did the right soil prep but they are puny and not too
vigorous.
any advice about how deep and how much manure to dump in the hole?
there must be a secret to it

I'd resist the temptation to put manure in the hole unless it's been well
composted. It could cause all sorts of problems otherwise. Putting a manure
mulch round your roses might be a better idea.

Your post seems to firstly hint that you've planted the roses and that they're
not doing so well, and then seems to hint that you're ready to prepare the
holes. Maybe you could clarify the position that the roses are in at the
moment. I wouldn't suggest you dig up roses that you've planted to have a
second go at getting the planting conditions right. Roses may well be looking
a little past their best this time of year anyway. It is winter after all.

Dave.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Victoria Clare

(DaveDay34) wrote in
:

i am sure that i did the right soil prep but they are puny and not too
vigorous.
any advice about how deep and how much manure to dump in the hole?
there must be a secret to it

Your post seems to firstly hint that you've planted the roses and that
they're not doing so well, and then seems to hint that you're ready to
prepare the holes. Maybe you could clarify the position that the
roses are in at the moment. I wouldn't suggest you dig up roses that
you've planted to have a second go at getting the planting conditions
right.

I can definitely back this up!

Last year I 'heeled in' three Tuscany Superb roses that I didn't have a
spot for. One thing followed another - and I never got round to planting
them properly. They duly flowered that summer, and I guiltily promised
them that I would give them a proper home next winter.

Well, I've just dug 'em up and replanted, and I've now got a vastly
increased respect for the people that sell roses bare root. Those three
little roses had roots that went outwards for miles, and directly
downwards, apparently to the centre of the earth. After I'd dug out a foot
and a half of root, I gave up and snipped the ends off as they were showing
no signs of getting any thinner (and they were only a few inches last
year!)

Haaroy, I'd agree with Dave - unless your roses are planted in shade. If
they are, I might be inclined to try chopping back whatever's casting the
shade (if possible) or moving at least one or two to a sunnier spot this
winter while they are dormant, and see if that makes a difference.

Roses do like rich soils, so if yours are already getting enough light,
Dave's suggestion of a manure mulch should help. I mulch mine regularly
with fresh rabbit droppings, and they do very well: if you have a big pile
of fresh horse or cow manure don't stick the whole lot on top of the roots
at once, but a dollop or so that does not touch the plant is fine - or use
well-rotted stuff.

The other thing I find makes a big difference is watering when it's dry.
In a couple of rented houses, I managed to cause amazing revivals of manky
ancient hybrid teas by nothing more than giving them a feed and a good long
water from time to time in the summer. Many varieties can survive quite a
bit of drought, but they really reward you for the extra water.

Victoria Clare