Old 29-11-2002, 09:15 PM
Henry Ward

Default HImalayan Birch

I have just been given a Himalayan Birch. Betula Jacquemontii. It
is a beautifully shaped little tree, pot grown, well feathered and about 1.5
metres tall. I imagine it to be three or four years old but that is just a
guess.
So what is my problem? Well, the bark is not white as in the books.
It is a soft grey colour with hundreds of little white spots on it .
Do these coalesce as the tree matures giving the white bark.or have
I got a silver birch with thrush?

Old 29-11-2002, 09:34 PM
PaulK

"Henry Ward" wrote in message

I have just been given a Himalayan Birch. Betula Jacquemontii. It
is a beautifully shaped little tree, pot grown, well feathered and about

1.5
metres tall. I imagine it to be three or four years old but that is just

guess.
So what is my problem? Well, the bark is not white as in the books.
It is a soft grey colour with hundreds of little white spots on it .
Do these coalesce as the tree matures giving the white bark.or have
I got a silver birch with thrush?

Worry not, the juvenile bark is as you describe. as it matures it goes
white.

pk

Old 29-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Henry Ward

Worry not, the juvenile bark is as you describe. as it matures it goes
white.

Many thanks for the speedy reply. Sighs of relief all round! LOL