Old 29-11-2002, 11:21 PM
Simon Avery

Default Madman loose on Dartmoor!

Hello All

....for I have a minidigger sitting in my garden, and all weekend free
to play with it.

[Rubs hands together with glee whilst cackling insanely]

One big pond coming up and a stream to joint it to my existing pond.

And I'm going to dig out a circle on a sloping bank to copy Sasha's
lovely little sun-trap, but won't get around to finishing that for a
year or so.

Been using the digger for relaying drains at work today, and one thing
I've already noticed. When you sit in it, *everything* looks like it
should be turned into a hole.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Simon Avery

Victoria Clare wrote:

Hello Victoria

VC Mmmm - Sunday evening, but no progress report. What do we
VC reckon? Is he sitting sadly in the middle of a vast muddy
VC pit, wondering how to climb out?

It went surprisingly smoothly. Yeah, I was astonished that nothing
broke, I found no water pipes and broke no bones. Makes me suspicious.

VC I've had a look out of the window, and I can't *see* any new
VC tors from here...

One thing I underestimated was the amount of soil to come out of a 15m

x5m x 1m pond. It's a lot. A real lot. Plus a further 20' diameter
circle dug into a 8 degree slope resulted in another big lot. Which
has to be barrowed across to the other side. Prolly about 5 ton of
topsoil or so.

Surprisingly good topsoil here, all nice free-draining loamy stuff,
and a full 3 feet of it before hitting the clay sub, which means I had
no problem disposing of the subsoil, because there wasn't any.

And I've reached the pivotal point of nearly being able to order the
butyl.

Note to self: Must sort out 20 ton of walling granite.