GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   frogs over winter? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8898-frogs-over-winter.html)

anon. 30-11-2002 02:56 PM

frogs over winter?

We live in a typical victorian terrace house with a rear walled garden. A
few years ago, we found a frog in the garden when we were digging out a old
'ornamental' pond dish type container which the previous occupent had left
behind. The frog has since moved comfortably into a our new pond. My
question is, what do frogs do over winter, we never see it & sometimes when
we clear up the leaves during or after autumn, we find the frog under a pile
of leaves in the garden. Do we leave a pile of leaves for it to spend winter
in? and also how old do they live to?. Any advice to help keep the frog safe
& well is much appreciated.

Anna.

Cerumen 01-12-2002 07:57 AM

frogs over winter?

"anon." wrote in message
.. My
question is, what do frogs do over winter, we never see it & sometimes

when
we clear up the leaves during or after autumn, we find the frog under a

pile
of leaves in the garden. Do we leave a pile of leaves for it to spend

winter
in? and also how old do they live to?. Any advice to help keep the frog

safe
& well is much appreciated.

They do a sort of semi-hibernation and as you know that can be in any
sheltered place such as a pile of leaves, no idea of the average life span
but certainly more than a year. They are great slug eaters as well so good
news in a garden, you are lucky to have them.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Anna.

K 01-12-2002 01:11 PM

frogs over winter?

"Cerumen" wrote in message
:
: "anon." wrote in message
: ...
: . My
: question is, what do frogs do over winter, we never see it & sometimes
: when
: we clear up the leaves during or after autumn, we find the frog under a
: pile
: of leaves in the garden. Do we leave a pile of leaves for it to spend
: winter
: in? and also how old do they live to?. Any advice to help keep the frog
: safe
: & well is much appreciated.
: They do a sort of semi-hibernation and as you know that can be in any
: sheltered place such as a pile of leaves, no idea of the average life span
: but certainly more than a year. They are great slug eaters as well so good
: news in a garden, you are lucky to have them.
: --
: Chris Thomas
: West Cork
: Ireland
:
:
: Anna.
:
Something I remember from my schooldays - a very looooong time ago - is that
they go into a period of suspended animation, whereby their body temperature
drops and their breathing slows. There will be zoologists/biologists in the
group who can explain it far better than I.