Old 01-12-2002, 01:53 PM
S. McLaren

Default Growing Ranunculus from seed

Hello there,

My Ranunculus flowers have finished flowering (I'm in Melbourne Australia)
and I am harvesting the seed pods.

I grew the plants, about 3000 of them from bulbs... some prefer to call them
tubers). I harvested the seeds last season but many did not grow- I planted
them in late winter and early spring - we don't get frost here.

I have been trying to research a successful way to grow them from seed. But
most reports only discuss growing them from tubers.

Does anyone here know how to grow them from seed? Should I plant them now -
its Summer here.

Cheers,

Sarah

Old 01-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

My books tell me that you need to sow and keep between 65 and 70 degrees F
for three weeks and then freeze for five weeks and then they should be ready
to germinate at a cool room temperature (below 60)...keep the container in a
sealed container to retain moisture. Hw.

Old 01-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Sarah

In article ,
S. McLaren wrote:
Hello there,

My Ranunculus flowers have finished flowering (I'm in Melbourne Australia)
and I am harvesting the seed pods.

I grew the plants, about 3000 of them from bulbs... some prefer to call
them tubers). I harvested the seeds last season but many did not grow- I
planted them in late winter and early spring - we don't get frost here.

I was in Australia the October before last and enjoyed the magnificent
"Spring" bedding displays using a lot of "Ranunculus" at Toowoomba
Queensland, and Floriade at Canberra. At the time I could not understand how
you got the combinations of plants which I saw flowering together, but I have
since worked out the answer "No Frosts"

I have been trying to research a successful way to grow them from seed. But
most reports only discuss growing them from tubers.

I have been to my standard reference book "Garden Flowers from Seed" by
Christopher Lloyd and Graham Rice. The book is aimed at UK conditions, but
there are two comments which I think may be important to you.

(a) Seed must be fresh. They say that with fresh seed you MAY get germination
without a Winters cold.

This implies the approach that I would use ie sow the seed in Autumn in a
Cold Frame and hope for germination in the Spring. Your seed will be fresh
enough, but your winter may not be cold enough.

(b) Talking about the showy varieties they talk about sowing August to
October (UK time) at 50 degrees Fahrenheit 10 degrees Cel, and say that 60
degrees Fahrenheit 15 Cel is too hot.

I hope that this helps. I tried growing a few last year from seed, but having
seen what you can do with them in Australia I was very disappointed.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 AM
S. McLaren

"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message
My books tell me that you need to sow and keep between 65 and 70 degrees F
for three weeks and then freeze for five weeks and then they should be

ready

65 and 60 F ? I guess the garden shed would do the trick? Summer conditions
here are about 75 - 100 F. Its awfully warm here during Summer.

Old 02-12-2002, 04:46 AM
S. McLaren

"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message

since worked out the answer "No Frosts"

Yes, we seldom see frost nowadays thanks to El Nino. We even get Summer like
conditions during Winter. 65F on occasion. And the temperature never goes
below zero (32F?).

(a) Seed must be fresh. They say that with fresh seed you MAY get

germination
without a Winters cold.
This implies the approach that I would use ie sow the seed in Autumn in a
Cold Frame and hope for germination in the Spring. Your seed will be fresh
enough, but your winter may not be cold enough.
(b) Talking about the showy varieties they talk about sowing August to
October (UK time) at 50 degrees Fahrenheit 10 degrees Cel, and say that 60
degrees Fahrenheit 15 Cel is too hot.

Hmm... I planted the seeds in May, our Autumn here. The temp are around 18 -
12 C. (around 60F?). Not cold by English standards and positively warm
compared to Scotland.

What I'll do this time is to keep the seeds in the bottom drawer of my
fridge, then soak them in water before sowing. I'l try to plant them in the
optimum conditions places: moist, well drained areas.

Our weather conditions here are quite nutty though. Last Saturday the temp
dropped to around 57F at night. Its 77F now.

Growing Ranunculus Crimson Castle Australia 0 10-06-2004 11:04 AM
Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren Australia 2 04-05-2003 08:32 AM
about Ranunculus? Jane Gardening 0 21-03-2003 12:32 AM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 04-03-2003 08:49 AM
Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren Australia 0 02-12-2002 04:46 AM