Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
A.Malhotra

Default hiding ugly gas tanks: regulations

We have one of those large tanks for LPG which fuels our hot water and
central heating, in the garden. I'm sure other people must have them too
and be equally keen to hide them as much as possible. But in doing so, have
you fallen foul of the fuel supply company who appear not to like plants
anywhere near them?

In our garden, we've attempted to screen it off from view by erecting
trellis on two sides (one is over 1 m away from the nearest part of the
tank and the other is c. 70 cm away)) and a earth wall topped with a hedge
on the third side (the nearest part of the wall is only 40 cm away but the
hedge is c. 70 cm away). The garden wall forms the fourth side of a
rectangle (about 1.5-2 m away although there are some shrubs in front of it
leaving c. 80 cm gap) in which the gas tank sits. The access point is a gap
on the side facing away rom the gate (not logical I know but thats the way
it is). On the other side of the trellis on the side facing the gate we've
put a flower bed, which I've spent quite a lot of time on this year. The
deliveries are made whenever the company decides we need one, and we have
no notification that one is due to be made. On the last occassion, the
delivery man chose to walk across my flowerbed regardless of whatever
plants where in the way and squeeze around a small gap between a shrub and
the trellis, rather than walk around to the intended access point. We then
got a letter from the company complaining about the "overgrown vegetation
or weeds" around our tank and pointing out that we are required to keep the
area free from flammable materials which could pose a risk to the tank.
They are threatening to stop deliveries until we rectify the situation.

Well, I had a look. There is one dead Phlox in the shrubbery against the
wall, which can be easilt removed permamnently (I don't like it much).
There is no other dead material and certainly no weeds. I can tie in some
of the traling climbers a bit more, and make sure the wall/hedge is kept
trimmed. As far as I am aware, living plants are not particularly
flammable. I am going to write to the company (its impossible to get to
speak to anyone on the phone) to try and clarify what they expect us to do
but since I want to avoid having to take down/dismantle any of the things
we have spent a lot of effort putting together, and I don't want to have to
leave a highway through the middle of my bed, I'm trying to get an idea of
what might seem reasonable based on other people's experience. My husband
is sure that they said trellis was okay before he put it up (they had
previously complained about a woven hazel fence that was in position
before).

Thanks
Anita
Old 02-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Peter Crosland

As well as access for filling or routine maintenance you need to make sure
there is ample access for the fire brigade in case of an emrgency. The
company are probably quite within their rights to request changes.

Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Victoria Clare

Well, mine is almost invisible behind overgrown anemone japonica, a vast
phormium, and a random assortment of tallish ground cover plants. You can
only get at it at all from the front, and then you have to shove the veg
back a bit. But you can stand on the drive and reach in to get at the port
on the top, so the important bit is accessible.

My mother's is closely surrounded on 3 sides by willow hurdles and a
shrubbery - with a discreet entrance onto the drive at the right angle for
the tube from the lorry to go straight in.

No communications from Calor about either, thought I'd have thought if
yours was a fire risk, ours certainly are!

Reading between the lines of your posting, I wonder if you had a new
delivery man, and he didn't realise that there was a proper entrance on the
other side?

Or could it be that it is awkward for them to manoever their Big Gas Tube
round the enclosure to the entrance on the far side? I am not sure how
rigid the pipe is, but maybe it's a fiddle to take it round in a circle?

--
Victoria Clare
gardening high up in South East Cornwall
Old 02-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Mike

Might be an idea to get the local Fire Brigade Officer round to advise
you.

Mike

Pacific Fleet Reunion Sept 2003 at Mill Rythe
River Class Assn Dinner Leamington Spa Sept 20th 2003.
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.

Old 02-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Michael Berridge

Victoria Clare wrote in message ...
[...]

Mine has a path leading up to it and two beds each side, and a blast
wall sheltering the other three sides. It the beds I have shade loving
plants including a bamboo, which grows to about 5', but will have leaves
2', also stipa giganta, I know it will not completely cover it, but will
break up the outline.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 02-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Essjay001

Mike scribbled:

Might be an idea to get the local Fire Brigade Officer round to advise
you.

Aren't they on strike

Steve R

Old 03-12-2002, 05:04 PM
A.Malhotra

Peter Crosland wrote:

So they have time to spare!

Might be an idea to get the local Fire Brigade Officer round to advise
you.

Aren't they on strike

Steve R

LOL. But to return to the original thread, I'm not concerned about
emergency access. The firemen can trample across my flower beds with my
blessing if my gas tank is about to blow up! Its the gas supply company
that is being awkward.
Anita
Old 03-12-2002, 05:11 PM
hugh

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
As well as access for filling or routine maintenance you need to make sure
there is ample access for the fire brigade in case of an emrgency. The
company are probably quite within their rights to request changes.

There are regulations which apply to all installations regarding
clearances and I think the 80cm quoted for one trellis will be less than
the minimum. For further info go to www.lpga.co.uk. (LP Gas Association)
If you still have no luck come back and I will get in touch with someone
who knows about these things - he installs tanks for many of these
suppliers.

Don't bother with the Fire Brigade - last time I spoke to them on the
subject they hadn't a clue about the regs.
--
hugh
Old 03-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Peter Crosland

LOL. But to return to the original thread, I'm not concerned about
emergency access. The firemen can trample across my flower beds with my
blessing if my gas tank is about to blow up! Its the gas supply company
that is being awkward.
Anita

Quite seriously the gas company have a legal obligation under Health and
Safety legislation, as do you, to ensure that their employees can fill the
tank in a safe manner without any impediments to access. It would be well
worth asking your local fire brigade for advice as to what is, and more
important what is not, acceptable.

Old 03-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Victoria Clare

"A.Malhotra" wrote in
:

LOL. But to return to the original thread, I'm not concerned about
emergency access. The firemen can trample across my flower beds with my
blessing if my gas tank is about to blow up! Its the gas supply company
that is being awkward.
Anita

Can you get hold of whoever it is made the original complaint and ask them
what the problem is?

My gas delivery guys are always very pleasant and helpful when I see them
(though as I work from home I have the advantage that I do see them from
time to time)

Even if the delivery guys cannot be brought to the phone, you might be able
to talk a mobile number out of the reception desk?

Given my experience, I'd guess it's more a matter of individual awkwardness
than country-wide guidelines.

I've just remembered that the Calor tank at my Gran's old house is jammed
between the house wall and a privet hedge. And I notice that the house
over the road has woven hazel fencing all round theirs, though I can't tell
how close it is from the tank from here. The woven stuff is low enough
that I imagine the gas-men lean over it to fill it.

Victoria (noticing more gas tanks than ever before...)
Old 04-12-2002, 08:57 AM
A.Malhotra

Victoria Clare wrote:

I've just remembered that the Calor tank at my Gran's old house is jammed
between the house wall and a privet hedge. And I notice that the house
over the road has woven hazel fencing all round theirs, though I can't tell
how close it is from the tank from here. The woven stuff is low enough
that I imagine the gas-men lean over it to fill it.

That's interesting: as I said that's what we had around ours originally,
and after being told it was a fire risk but trellis would be okay, down it
came and up went the trellis....I think its got more to do with the
delivery people than the regulations personally.
Anita
Old 04-12-2002, 09:10 AM
A.Malhotra

hugh wrote:

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
As well as access for filling or routine maintenance you need to make sure
there is ample access for the fire brigade in case of an emrgency. The
company are probably quite within their rights to request changes.

There are regulations which apply to all installations regarding
clearances and I think the 80cm quoted for one trellis will be less than
the minimum. For further info go to www.lpga.co.uk. (LP Gas Association)

Thanks, that's very useful. They do not mention minimum distances and seem
to consider grass and rubbish around the tank the main issue. As I said, I
don' consider living plant material especially flammable.

If you still have no luck come back and I will get in touch with someone
who knows about these things - he installs tanks for many of these
suppliers.

I think that access may actually be the key issue: as someone pointed out,
going through what we consider the access point involves bringing the hose
in a circle once through the gate. I think my best bet is to try and speak
to the delivery men directly as someone else mentioned.

Thanks
Anita
Old 04-12-2002, 07:37 PM
The Q

"A.Malhotra" wrote in message ...
Victoria Clare wrote:

I've just remembered that the Calor tank at my Gran's old house is jammed
between the house wall and a privet hedge. And I notice that the house
over the road has woven hazel fencing all round theirs, though I can't tell
how close it is from the tank from here. The woven stuff is low enough
that I imagine the gas-men lean over it to fill it.

That's interesting: as I said that's what we had around ours originally,
and after being told it was a fire risk but trellis would be okay, down it
came and up went the trellis....I think its got more to do with the
delivery people than the regulations personally.
Anita

I think you're right, My tank has six foot solid fencing on three
sides, with a path then the main garden fence on the other. I never
had a complaint but then I own the tank as well.

The Q