Old 22-01-2005, 01:49 PM
fruitbat

Default Leaf mould advice for a newbie

Hi All

My name is Kev and I've been lurking on urg for a couple of weeks or so.
Thought it was about time I plucked up the courage to make a post.

A bit about me... I moved into a house in South Hertfordshire, with a
garden, a little over a year ago and the main aim at the time was to get the
lawn sorted for this summer for a new family addition (a son, not a dog).
That well on it's way and looking quite good, it's time to move my efforts
to the borders and the veggies.

I had a scan through the faq's and found a bit of info about leaf mould, but
I have afew more questions that I'd like a little help with....

1. I collected and shredded all the leaves of our cherry tree last autumm,
watered and drained them and stored them in bin bags in the shed.... good or
bad?

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked and quite
compacted)?

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

Thanks in advance

Kev Hopley

Old 22-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Kay

In article , fruitbat
writes

1. I collected and shredded all the leaves of our cherry tree last autumm,
watered and drained them and stored them in bin bags in the shed.... good or
bad?

Good. They don't need the shelter of a shed - quite OK outside if you
have somewhere they don't look too unsightly.
I don't think I'd bother to shred them - but that will presumably speed
the process a bit.

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked and quite
compacted)?

I don't think so. I've turned mine, but they are in an open topped bin,
so the top few inches dries out a bit.

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
for them?

I'd use them as general potting compost - leaf mould seems far too high
quality to use as a mulch. I use my compost heap for mulching - not so
much to keep the weeds down, but to improve the soil.

Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

For mulching, use them as soon as moist enough not to blow around. Don't
think there's any special time of year - just when the urge takes you -
though it's obviously easier to spread in winter when there aren't so
many plants to get in the way.
--
Kay

Old 22-01-2005, 10:14 PM
nambucca

"fruitbat" wrote in message
[...]

Leaves do take time to rot down
i found it best to shred them and mix them with all manner of other shredded
materials inc veggie peelings plus grass clippings, horse manure if you can
get it in a covered compost bin ........add a few buckets of night water and
turn into an emply bin after 3 months

After 6 months you should have great compost

Old 23-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Mike Lyle

nambucca wrote:
"fruitbat" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

Sure. But sometimes pure leaf-mould is best: e.g., I suggest, for
lilies. If you really need leaf-mould, it's a waste to add it to the
general compost.

I think it's best just to leave it there, with no additives, doing
nothing to it, until the separate leaves have completely disappeared.
A year, maybe.

It's quite unnecessary to shred them -- in fact, the craze for
shredding has gone too far in general. You only need to shred twigs
and cabbage-stalks, and for _most_ people it makes more sense to burn
those or chuck them in the dustbin than to give B&Q your hard-earned
for a shredder.

At the risk of exciting wrath and contempt among sections of the
audience, I say shredders usually make even less sense than
wormeries. (Ducks behind filing-cabinet.)

Mike.

Old 23-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Franz Heymann

"fruitbat" wrote in message
[...]

Good. I did the same with a couple o bag fulls of shredded ash, maple
and crab apple leaves. I also put a couple of bagfulls straight on
one of the borders. I will just have to remember to give that site a
bit of extra nitrogenous fertiliser when the spring comes.

2. Is it better to turn them to aerate (at the mo they are stacked

and quite
compacted)?

That would be a waste of effort.

3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any

better use
for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I

apply?

Some time in the spring.

Oh, and welcome to urg!

Thanks in advance

Franz

Old 23-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , fruitbat
writes

[snip]

I'd use them as general potting compost - leaf mould seems far too

high
quality to use as a mulch. I use my compost heap for mulching - not

so
much to keep the weeds down, but to improve the soil.

Kay,
Do you use it on its own, or do you mix it with something?
Do you enrich it with fertiliser?
What do you pot up into it?
For how long do you let it mature before using it in this way?

If neat leafmould is a replacement for peat, why on earth is it not
on the market? There must be an awful lot wasted each year.

Franz

Old 23-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Franz Heymann

Mike said:
At the risk of exciting wrath and contempt among sections of the
audience, I say shredders usually make even less sense than
wormeries. (Ducks behind filing-cabinet.)

But leaves sucked through a garden blower/vacuum works a treat. The
leaves are shredded and reduced in bulk by a factor of 4 or so.

Franz

Old 23-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered User

Smile

I've got a shredder and use it mainly because it's fun! A little bit of contructive destruction can be good for you...
Old 23-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

If neat leafmould is a replacement for peat, why on earth is it not
on the market? There must be an awful lot wasted each year.

Because peat extraction is easier to automate on a large scale.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , fruitbat
writes

[snip]

I'd use them as general potting compost - leaf mould seems far too

high
quality to use as a mulch. I use my compost heap for mulching - not

so
much to keep the weeds down, but to improve the soil.

Kay,
Do you use it on its own, or do you mix it with something?

On its own

Do you enrich it with fertiliser?

No, but if something is in a smallish pot for a long time 6 months)
then I may use slow release pellets. Other people, who prefer to use
fertilisers to a greater extent than I do, would want to add something.

What do you pot up into it?

Perennials that I've grown from seed and am going to plant out the
following season.

For how long do you let it mature before using it in this way?

Till it's black and crumbly. I suppose that's about 2 years.

If neat leafmould is a replacement for peat,

I can see it has environmental advantages over peat, and peat has no
added fertilisers either. Since I don't use peat, I hadn't regarded it
as a substitute.

why on earth is it not
on the market? There must be an awful lot wasted each year.

Difficulty in collecting in large quantities compared with shredded wood
or coir, and long break-down time, presumably.

--
Kay

Old 23-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

[...]
why on earth is it not
on the market? There must be an awful lot wasted each year.

Difficulty in collecting in large quantities compared with shredded
wood or coir, and long break-down time, presumably.

I feel sure some local authorities sell it, or at any rate used to.

Mike.

Old 24-01-2005, 02:20 PM
gutts

nambucca wrote:

add a few buckets of night water

p*ss?

--
www.percha.f2s.com

Old 24-01-2005, 02:41 PM
J Jackson

fruitbat wrote:

: 3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
: for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?

Before Peat became generally used in horticulture, leafmould was used to
make up potting composts. I use my leaf mould to make seed and potting
compost. I mix riddled leafmould and loam, and depending on use add some
"grit", plus maybe a little woodash.

I do tend to find that growing a little slower than most
books/seed-packets indicate - but I naturally compensate for that
nowadays.

I used to oven sterilise for seed compost, but have given up and have
hardly noticed - other than a little bit of increased weeding :-)

Old 24-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
J Jackson writes:
| fruitbat wrote:
|
| : 3. I intend to use them as mulch for the borders, is there any better use
| : for them? Is it too soon for them to be used, and when should I apply?
|
| Before Peat became generally used in horticulture, leafmould was used to
| make up potting composts. I use my leaf mould to make seed and potting
| compost. I mix riddled leafmould and loam, and depending on use add some
| "grit", plus maybe a little woodash.

That sounds good :-)

It is also worth pointing out that leafmould is THE best basis for
making potting composts for most humus-loving, forest-floor plants.
It doesn't have the acidity of peat, and is closest to their natural
substrate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Leaf collection for leaf mould michael United Kingdom 8 07-11-2009 06:26 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Leaf mould advice for a newbie fruitbat United Kingdom 0 22-01-2005 01:51 PM
Leaf mould Rufus United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:50 AM
leaf mould Alan and Liz United Kingdom 5 21-11-2002 04:10 PM